View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 262 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1622122522582592602612622632642652662723123627621262 ... LastLast
Results 3,916 to 3,930 of 21672
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    You are welcome

By the way: Nice collection!

Since I do not collect N52 myself, I never had a close look at these books, but is this really the official dust jacket of Batwoman 2 ? It looks like it has the old DC sign on it, they can't really be that stupid, can they? This would really drive me crazy, I also cannot understand why Death of the Family ha a white spine and all the others are black. Obviously they wanted to provide a uniform look and than they are doing it like that? I can't believe it...
    The first printing of Batman, Vol. 3: Death of the Family hardcover shipped with a special acetate dust jacket whereby removing the dust jacket you can reveal Joker's face:

It is based off this style cover design that various titles during the Death of the Family event featured:

The original cover designs had the white background, so they stuck with it for the trade. Could they have switched it to a black background for the trade? Perhaps. But maybe the acetate dust jacket effect wouldn't have worked as well or properly.

Subsequent printings of the hardcover don't have the special acetate dust jacket cover, but they retain the white stylistic look.

All things considered, the divergence to a white background for the special cover is a lot less egregious than using the wrong spine logo.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Price for New Frontier Absolute went pretty high on UK Amazon, used to around 30 not long time ago, now it's 50. Another OOP book?
    Amazon US says "Temporarily Out of Stock" so I assume they are getting another batch in. Although, they could be misleading and DC recently brought out their Deluxe Edition so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    All things considered, the divergence to a white background for the special cover is a lot less egregious than using the wrong spine logo.
    Agreed. Especially if my Vol.1 and 2's are different that way.

All-New Member

Hey everyone,

Sorry for being redundant, but I've searched parts of this thread, but I just don't have the time to search the last 50 pages or so. As I mentioned awhile back, I'm trying to decide whether or not to go in for the GL (Johns) run via Omnibus. Now with vol. 2 announced, it gets more complex. My problem is, that a few years ago, I bought most of the GL issues of vol. 1 cheap, for about $1 each with the intention of making some custom binds. I also managed to snag most of the BN series/GL issues/BN crossovers cheaply also. FF a few years later, and my custom binds still haven't materialized, but the omnibuses have. In all, I probably have about 80% of the content in the first two Omni in floppy form. My problem is whether to sell it all and put it towards the cost of the omni, or go ahead and fill in my holes to custom bind.

1. In the first omnibus, are there any extras, etc? Are all of the covers printed? I know there's no ToC or issue numbers, and I can get over that.

2. What does the map look like for Vol. 3 (unofficially)?

I think that I'm leaning towards selling the floppies and getting the Omni. The books would look better I think, I would still be looking at probably $50 to bind the floppies to equal each omnibus, and the omni's have no ads, plus they take less space that the custom binds would, I think. I'l just looking for some outside advice.

Thanks!

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

^^^

Get the omnis. You know you want to.

As for mapping Omni 3, there's some disagreement, but I think it will probably wrap up the rest of the run. It makes sense - the run itself is neatly divided into 3 distinct eras. 1) Rebirth to SCW 2) SCW to BN 3) BN to The End. Makes sense that the omnis will follow suit (and, indeed, the mapping for omni 1 and 2 corroborate this).

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drumguy1975 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Sorry for being redundant, but I've searched parts of this thread, but I just don't have the time to search the last 50 pages or so. As I mentioned awhile back, I'm trying to decide whether or not to go in for the GL (Johns) run via Omnibus. Now with vol. 2 announced, it gets more complex. My problem is, that a few years ago, I bought most of the GL issues of vol. 1 cheap, for about $1 each with the intention of making some custom binds. I also managed to snag most of the BN series/GL issues/BN crossovers cheaply also. FF a few years later, and my custom binds still haven't materialized, but the omnibuses have. In all, I probably have about 80% of the content in the first two Omni in floppy form. My problem is whether to sell it all and put it towards the cost of the omni, or go ahead and fill in my holes to custom bind.

1. In the first omnibus, are there any extras, etc? Are all of the covers printed? I know there's no ToC or issue numbers, and I can get over that.

2. What does the map look like for Vol. 3 (unofficially)?

I think that I'm leaning towards selling the floppies and getting the Omni. The books would look better I think, I would still be looking at probably $50 to bind the floppies to equal each omnibus, and the omni's have no ads, plus they take less space that the custom binds would, I think. I'l just looking for some outside advice.

Thanks!
    I would buy the GLC issues and make the books the way they were meant to be as opposed to the halfassery of the omnis.

Thats what I'm doing, anyway.
    Miller was right.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleksivic View Post
    Amazon US says "Temporarily Out of Stock" so I assume they are getting another batch in. Although, they could be misleading and DC recently brought out their Deluxe Edition so you never know.
    Unfortunately, when something goes temporarily out of stock on amazon, it often means it's on its way to going OOP if it hasn't already.

Continuing this discussion from the other thread. Is there a legit resource where we know which Absolutes are going OOP. Batman & Robin (Batman Reborn) and Final Crisis seems to be the case but do we know any others. My procrastination lead me to miss out on Crisis on Infinite earths.. just don't want it happening with other books.

These are my missing Absolutes (I don't get Vertigo anymore as I already own the TPB's/HC's/Deluxe's of most if not all titles - minus 100 Bullets):
    - Final Crisis (currently on order with IST)
    - Batman: Haunted Knight
    - All Star Superman
    - Identity Crisis

I'm also shocked there is no Absolute Infinite Crisis. Would be great if they reprinted the Omni and split it into two Absolute volumes.

There is an informal list in the first post, mostly obtained from asking posters which books are OOP. Collected Editions website also has a list of all DC Hardcovers, Absolutes at the top, and whether they are in stock, it has been up to date in the past.

DC have been very keen on keeping the more recent Absolutes in print, Absolute Hush/Kingdom Come/Watchmen/New Frontier/ All Star Superman have all been OOP at various stages and been reprinted. The Sandman Absolutes have had multiple reprintings too. If one has gone OOP it could likely be reprinted in the future.

Continuing this discussion from the other thread. Is there a legit resource where we know which Absolutes are going OOP. Batman & Robin (Batman Reborn) and Final Crisis seems to be the case but do we know any others. My procrastination lead me to miss out on Crisis on Infinite earths.. just don't want it happening with other books.

These are my missing Absolutes (I don't get Vertigo anymore as I already own the TPB's/HC's/Deluxe's of most if not all titles - minus 100 Bullets):
    - Final Crisis (currently on order with IST)
    - Batman: Haunted Knight
    - All Star Superman
    - Identity Crisis

I'm also shocked there is no Absolute Infinite Crisis. Would be great if they reprinted the Omni and split it into two Absolute volumes.
    I check CGN periodically and have found that once they start to raise their price on a book from the usual 45% off it is a pretty good indicator that a book is on its way oop.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I would skip anything Final crisis related that is not written by Morrison. Everybody says it's unnecessary and usually really bad. Some other chunky trade recommendations, if you already read them just ignore it: JLA vol 1-6 (vol 1-4 is Morrison, vol5 is Waid, I'm currently reading that. Vol 6 is Kelly I think, not sure.). Batgirl/Robin Year one (never gonna stop recommend that book, lovin' it), Authority v1-2. The first thick volume of Secret six is coming out next week IIRC.
    Of course i already have Robin Year One and Batgirl Year One
    I also have a few Secret Six and JLA (waiting to read the first few to see if I get the rest). My Batman (+) TPB collection from Year One /CoIE to Flashpoint is pretty much complete... until they reprint freaking Legacy!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Those are the Question/Specter miniseries by Rucka and the Rogues miniseries by Johns
    I read that the Spectre part was very good.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

The first printing of Batman, Vol. 3: Death of the Family hardcover shipped with a special acetate dust jacket whereby removing the dust jacket you can reveal Joker's face.

The original cover designs had the white background, so they stuck with it for the trade. Could they have switched it to a black background for the trade? Perhaps. But maybe the acetate dust jacket effect wouldn't have worked as well or properly.

Subsequent printings of the hardcover don't have the special acetate dust jacket cover, but they retain the white stylistic look.

Hi,
    thanks a a lot for the explanation, this way it makes sense.

Spectacular Member

Any chances, that we get Deluxe Editions of The Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween and Dark Victory?
    And a Year One Reprint?

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post
    Any chances, that we get Deluxe Editions of The Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween and Dark Victory?
    And a Year One Reprint?
    Since we got a "Batman Noir: The Long Helloween" only recently and Dark Knight Returns is also announced as "Batman Noir" already, I would not expect a deluxe edition from this books in the near future. Dark Victory will of course also rather get a Noir edition to fit Long Helloween (if any).

Year One might be another thing, but still I would be surprised.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post
    And a Year One Reprint?
    You're probably not going to see deluxe editions of Long Halloween and Dark Victory any time soon because they just published Absolute editions recently.

Plus those two books, along with TDKR, are pretty strong evergreen TPBs for DC. The incentive to deluxe them probably isn't too great between the paperbacks that keep selling and the Absolutes that collectors can get their hands on.

I wouldn't count on a Year One Deluxe reprint any time soon either. I think if DC was going to do it, they'd have done it by now. Year One is another evergreen TPB for them, so they're still making their money on that book. Probably more surprising is the fact they haven't found a way to make a Year One Absolute edition yet to really rake in the money, but the book alone would be thin so it would have to be paired with something or be packed with an insane amount of extras.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

You're probably not going to see deluxe editions of Long Halloween and Dark Victory any time soon because they just published Absolute editions recently.

Plus those two books, along with TDKR, are pretty strong evergreen TPBs for DC. The incentive to deluxe them probably isn't too great between the paperbacks that keep selling and the Absolutes that collectors can get their hands on.

I wouldn't count on a Year One Deluxe reprint any time soon either. I think if DC was going to do it, they'd have done it by now. Year One is another evergreen TPB for them, so they're still making their money on that book. Probably more surprising is the fact they haven't found a way to make a Year One Absolute edition yet to really rake in the money, but the book alone would be thin so it would have to be paired with something or be packed with an insane amount of extras.
    I wouldn't mind a Absolute Batman years with Batman Year One, Year Two and Year 100
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47