View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 265 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1652152552612622632642652662672682692753153657651265 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,975 of 21667

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Im kind of glad they changed GA. It got me to buy the trade, and made me realize how awful the content was before spending for a premium edition. I couldn't believe how much I hated Quiver. At least with the absolute I can make a profitnon resale.
    The story it quite fantastic. One the last good Green Arrow stories until fairly recently, in my opinion anyway.

The art though...wasn't that great. Doesn't really deserve an absolute, as much as I love the story.

Im kind of glad they changed GA. It got me to buy the trade, and made me realize how awful the content was before spending for a premium edition. I couldn't believe how much I hated Quiver. At least with the absolute I can make a profitnon resale.
    Each to their own, I suppose. I'm with ER Prest. The art might not warrant and Absolute edition, but the story was great, and I typically find that a lot of Smith stories (Daredevil) do not stand the test of time. I thought this one did. Until, well, you know, New 52 came along . . .

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Agreed. Kevin Smith's Ollie is my Ollie. That's why the N52 Ollie, even the excellent Lemire run, didn't ring true to me as Green Arrow. Same with the TV show. That character is a serviceable Batman substitute, but that guy ain't no Oliver Queen.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I'm the opposite. I hated the writing and loved the art. Im a big fan if the Winick run though. And Archers Quest. Those are my Ollie. And the Lemire stuff is awesome, its just not good Ollie. Its Nu-Ollie. Inferior, but has potential
    Cyclops was right

Incredible Member

I can be a bit obsessive about binding/paper quality.

How are the dc premiere hardcovers compared to Marvels? Same crap quality?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Agreed. Kevin Smith's Ollie is my Ollie. That's why the N52 Ollie, even the excellent Lemire run, didn't ring true to me as Green Arrow. Same with the TV show. That character is a serviceable Batman substitute, but that guy ain't no Oliver Queen.
    I'm the opposite. I hated the writing and loved the art. Im a big fan if the Winick run though. And Archers Quest. Those are my Ollie. And the Lemire stuff is awesome, its just not good Ollie. Its Nu-Ollie. Inferior, but has potential
    Yeah, Smith really channeled Grell's Ollie and Dixon's Connor very effectively. Wish we got an omnibus or absolute of some of that. My god. Longbow Hunters in absolute? I'd die.

Winnick completely trashed Green Arrow for me and, to me, just had poor writers after him(or editorial mandated stories) up until Lemire took over, but even then, was more like the show.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    that's the odd thing is that months and months ago it was solicited as a deluxe and then it changed. Not sure why. I agree, plus DC has the Meltzer Deluxe (or will soon release it) that would make a nice matching companion.
    I believe the speculation on the collectededitions blog is that the pre-orders for the Deluxe were so strong that they upped it to an Absolute.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I can be a bit obsessive about binding/paper quality.

How are the dc premiere hardcovers compared to Marvels? Same crap quality?
    They're more or less similar quality. Maybe marginally better? Both can get wavy though from humidity changes.

Overall I think the DC New 52 standard hardcovers are worse than the current Marvel ones because of the actual hardcover. They just use the cheap black boards for all of the New 52 stuff. It's boring, damages fairly easy, and if your hands have any moisture or grease on them, you can actually damage the hardcover. At least the Marvel Now era HCs have a fairly solid design scheme and the boards don't wear as easily, even though they dropped the dust jackets completely (which is probably better - one less thing to preserve/get damaged).

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Talking of the Absolute Green Arrow by Kevin Smith, amazon have now put up a new cover:

Fantastic Member

slick looking! between this and the new frontier, dc really has stepped up regarding the design on their premium books.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Talking of the Absolute Green Arrow by Kevin Smith, amazon have now put up a new cover:

Really nice. Is it good run, would you recommend it guys for somebody who never read it?

I know it's already been done, people've been posting lists of Morrison's run but here it is in video format. Like this guy, check out his other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Really nice. Is it good run, would you recommend it guys for somebody who never read it?
    Yeah, you should be able to jump right it. It does build on previous continuity(like Ollie being dead, his sons, his rocky relationship with Dinah/Black Canary), but I think Smith does a good job of making it open to new readers so it benefits both new and older readers alike.

Just a heads up, absolute hush is out of stock on IST, and CGN has raised the price. It is still available on the amazon marketplace for a good price. If its on your wishlist jump on it now!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Yeah, Smith really channeled Grell's Ollie and Dixon's Connor very effectively. Wish we got an omnibus or absolute of some of that. My god. Longbow Hunters in absolute? I'd die.
    Seriously. But what would they pad the rest of the book with? Not that I think they're above charging $99.99 for a 3-issue Absolute...

Winnick completely trashed Green Arrow for me and, to me, just had poor writers after him(or editorial mandated stories) up until Lemire took over, but even then, was more like the show.
    I enjoyed most of Winick's early run (he's no Grell or Dixon though), and it wasn't until "1 Year Later" and beyond that things went downhill. By the time we got to GA/BC, it was a full-on disaster.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Thanks for the heads up on Hush!

Man, I am tempted to buy it, but I haven't read the story in nearly a decade. Can't recall how I felt. Jim Lee art is fun though.

Lord almighty, I wish they'd just release an Absolute featuring Greg Capullo.