View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 276 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1762262662722732742752762772782792802863263767761276 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 21672
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James Harvey View Post
    Quick question - is there any additional content in the IDENTITY CRISIS 10TH ANNIVERSARY edition not included in the ABSOLUTE release?
    Shouldn't be, but the Absolute edition has two pages printed the wrong order.

Donno if this was discussed in length already or not: For those who were dissapointed in the built quality of the first JSA omni and didn't get the second because of that: I just got the 2nd omni and the binding is much, MUCH better. I just gave it a general flip through but it opened really well right away.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Shouldn't be, but the Absolute edition has two pages printed the wrong order.
    I assume that was never fixed in subsequent reprintings?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    I don't see what you're confused about.

Some people find Absolute editions too large and unwieldy. Such people might welcome downsizing to a Deluxe edition.

Other people see Absolutes as the top of the line format for DC and would hold onto their Absolute, not caring there's a Deluxe out there.

Some people might not love the story that much, so they'd sell the OOP Absolute edition (assuming it's commanding any high prices right now) and put the money toward the Deluxe edition and/or other books.

Other people would want to hang on to what might be considered an OOP/hard to find book now that it is OOP.

It all depends what kind of person you are. Once you figure that out, you'll know what to do.
    if you can forgive my two cents--

I like to collect absolutes and usually they are beautiful to look at. They are really good for artist's sake.

I like to collect omnibuses because I like having all the story in one volume.

But...I prefer to read deluxe editions. Like you said, both omni and absolutes are hard to take with you and their size limits your reading positioning. Deluxes are the ultimate (for me anyway) for reading.
    trying to be nicer

Incredible Member

Just ordered The Absolute Authority vol. 2, despite having only read the Warren Ellis/Bryan Hitch volume previously.

Any thoughts on the content or build? I'm a little nervous, due to it being an older book for the Absolute line. Hoping that won't affect binding, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Just ordered The Absolute Authority vol. 2, despite having only read the Warren Ellis/Bryan Hitch volume previously.

Any thoughts on the content or build? I'm a little nervous, due to it being an older book for the Absolute line. Hoping that won't affect binding, etc.
    I've just read it in tpb for the 3rd or 4th time. I enjoy it a bit less every time I reread it (the Ellis run I love more and more).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I've just read it in tpb for the 3rd or 4th time. I enjoy it a bit less every time I reread it (the Ellis run I love more and more).
    interesting. I've been wanting to reread the Ellis run recently, despite not truly enjoying it the first time around. I have a feeling that the next time I read it, will be a different story, figuratively speaking. unfortunately the price on the Ellis absolute authority is going for much more then the millar absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post

I might be in the minority but I prefer Millar's over Ellis. Too bad editorial couldn't stand all that profanity and Millar reacted in the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I might be in the minority but I prefer Millar's over Ellis. Too bad editorial couldn't stand all that profanity and Millar reacted in the wrong way.
    Millar's run was more entertaining.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    if you can forgive my two cents--

I like to collect absolutes and usually they are beautiful to look at. They are really good for artist's sake.

I like to collect omnibuses because I like having all the story in one volume.

But...I prefer to read deluxe editions. Like you said, both omni and absolutes are hard to take with you and their size limits your reading positioning. Deluxes are the ultimate (for me anyway) for reading.
    That's why I am collecting Deluxes AND Omnibuses AND Absolutes, but there have been quite a lot of overlaps in the last years (starting with LoEG in 2011) and I am a little concerned that I will end up with owning every book twice:

Absolute and Omnibus:
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Sandman
    Planetary
    GL Rebirth and Blackest Night (as part of the omnibus)

Absolute and Deluxe:
    Identity Crisis
    Batman & Robin
    Batman Inc (partly)
    Hush (unwrapped)
    Watchmen
    Ronin
    New Frontier
    Y the last man (upcoming)

Deluxe and Omnibus:
    Invisibles
    Last edited by Pertl; 03-12-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Got my Animal Man Omnibus last night and it looks great! Love the art imprinted cover and it looks good flipping through it with MManhunter, Vixen, Hawkman all guesting in the pages I saw while skimming. The nu52 blue/black/white costume shows up near the end which for me could be a tying thread as the nu52 run was my first real attempt at the character monthly.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Got my Animal Man Omnibus last night and it looks great! Love the art imprinted cover and it looks good flipping through it with MManhunter, Vixen, Hawkman all guesting in the pages I saw while skimming. The nu52 blue/black/white costume shows up near the end which for me could be a tying thread as the nu52 run was my first real attempt at the character monthly.
    I really love that omnibus. the first 4 issues and the isues around #18 or so were my favorites
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I really love that omnibus. the first 4 issues and the isues around #18 or so were my favorites
    Agreed. Such a good book, and a pretty fast read, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The fact that he mentions there might be a paperback follow up is awesome, as I've only recently made the decision to skip the omni. I'll gladly take two chunky paperbacks with the stories collected in the preferred order.
    Simonson doesn't mention that "there might be a paperback follow up." He wrote: The one bright note is that Dan Didio told me, after I spoke to him about the matter this afternoon, that if the book is reissued in paperback at some point down the road, he would do everything he could to see that all of the stories are printed in the correct order in that edition.

Normally I'd say that any paperback would be unlikely, but since Simonson is held in such justifiably high esteem, I'd say that there may be a better chance than usual that a tpb or two gets offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Jeez, I preordered that book, I can't believe Walt want s to distance himself. Why wouldn't we want it in order?
    He's not distancing himself; rather, he's voicing his displeasure with that one aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Gonna keep my pre-order up for a few weeks, but if DC won't delay the book to fix the omnibus i won't buy it until the price drops down.
    Do you think that you'll get better than 50% off, which is what a place like instocktrades will probably offer it at during its first week of release?

And, here's a followup post by Simonson:

I need to eat a little bit of crow regarding my post: A Few Notes about the upcoming ORION OMNIBUS. I said that the backup stories were printed not only in a separate section of the book, but out of order. That last is incorrect. Now that I've settled down, I've discovered that I misremembered the order of the first two back up stories. I had thought Dave Gibbons drew the first one I wrote, and Frank Miller the second. That order turns out to be reversed, and the correct order appears in the book. My apologies to all concerned.

I've made corrections to my original posted note.

I'm still cranky about putting the backup stories in a separate section in the back of the book, but I've already groused about that. And I do have to say the backups location aside, the volume is a very nice package of practically everything I've ever done with the Fourth World, including pencil sketches, some finished pencils and an unpublished cover.)

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Talking of that Orion book, the Amazon UK page for it indicates that it's not oversized like a Marvel omnibus, but rather just standard sized, but hardback.

Is that the case?

My Planetary and GL omnibus from DC are the same size as Marvel's, considering that the reading order is screwed and now it seems the size is small, I think I might cancel my order.....
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God