View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 304 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2042542943003013023033043053063073083143544048041304 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 21671
    Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
    He built an empire. Nothing wrong with that. Without him, nobody would have ever noticed Kirby or Ditko. The man deserves respect at least for that. No reason to be angry for his sucess.
    I beg to differ. Kirby would be remembered with or without Stanley Lieber. Captain America alone assures that. Lee certainly had a knack for promotion but was far from the driving creative force behind any of those books his self said myths make him out to be. I disagree that those artists wouldn't have been noticed without him. That's absurd. He didn't create **** but put dialogue to powerhouse creators plotted artwork that he had a minimal part in creating(take a look at the original artwork with the margins filled with notes telling Stanley what was going on). That said without his huckster promotion who knows what would have happened. I think Kirby and Ditko would have fantastic careers with or without him and it's disgraceful seeing his cameos in every movie while the heavy lifters don't see a dime or acknowledgement while the ignorant masses applaud. Maybe if he wasn't such a liar about how he single handedly did everything it wouldn't bother me as much. Hell, even Alan Moore gives all his artists 50℅ credit. Look at his scripts. Also look at what Stan the Man ever created by himself and what Kirby alone did before and after. It speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Gerald Keefer; 04-02-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Without Stan Lee there is no Marvel comics and no Kirby and Ditko success past they worked in the field and were forgotten. They did nothing of merit without him (things like new gods have marginal success because of the fans Marvel gave Kirby they cant even carry a monthly title. They show up to keep copy right)yet Stan did so much with so many different artists. Captain America was a cancelled and forgotten book till Stan saved him. Could Stan create the marvel universe without people like Ditko and Kirby no. Does anyone care about Mister A, or Kamandi also basically no. Kirby fanatics make me laugh. You can't have one without the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Without Stan Lee there is no Marvel comics and no Kirby and Ditko success past they worked in the field and were forgotten. They did nothing of merit without him (things like new gods have marginal success because of the fans Marvel gave Kirby they cant even carry a monthly title. They show up to keep copy right)yet Stan did so much with so many different artists. Captain America was a cancelled and forgotten book till Stan saved him. Could Stan create the marvel universe without people like Ditko and Kirby no. Does anyone care about Mister A, or Kamandi also basically no. Kirby fanatics make me laugh. You can't have one without the other.
    +1
    This is about my opinion also.

I would argue the point of New Gods only being used to keep the copy right. They are used because Darkseid is massive bad guy in the DCU so they will still around based on that not just for copy right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Keefer View Post
    Kirby would be remembered with or without Stanley Lieber.
    What's up with that?
    Why do you refer to Stan the Man by his given name throughout?

All-New Member

I was hoping someone here could help me out - what's the actual release date for Absolute Transmetropolitan? I've seen April 21st, April 28th, and June 16th. It's my favorite series and I want to get it in that format. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Owlcourt View Post
    I was hoping someone here could help me out - what's the actual release date for Absolute Transmetropolitan? I've seen April 21st, April 28th, and June 16th. It's my favorite series and I want to get it in that format. Thanks!
    Official date should be June 16th.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I'm not sure if I like the spine or not, but I always thought Simonson had a very cool, very distinct signature/autograph. Almost like it's its own snazzy little piece of artwork.
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the spine overall, but I do like that it showcases that the book is by Walt Simonson, which is one of the major selling points for the book. It's giving attention to a unique creator who produced a unique book, not something that's just part of a series.

Kamandi is probably my favorite Kirby book! It's so fun and exciting and imaginative and wonderfully drawn. I really enjoy Kirby's '70s stuff the best. I like silly. I liked when Kirby left realism behind and his artwork got weirder and bolder. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it the most.

- but, you're right that Stan was brilliant in how he utilized Kirby and Ditko. They may have done most of the legwork, but Stan had the knack for creating hit stories and characters and knew when to leave 'em alone and when to guide the ship.

Also: I think Kirby would definitely still be remembered even if Stan and the Marvel universe never happened. It would be by comics aficionados, of course, but the Simon and Kirby team were a huge deal historically because of their enormous output. I mean, they created the romance comic genre from scratch!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    Official date should be June 16th.
    Thanks. That's kind of what I was figuring. I don't know wnether to be disappointed I have to wait or be relieved to not have to spend the money this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Kamandi is probably my favorite Kirby book! It's so fun and exciting and imaginative and wonderfully drawn. I really enjoy Kirby's '70s stuff the best. I like silly. I liked when Kirby left realism behind and his artwork got weirder and bolder. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it the most.

- but, you're right that Stan was brilliant in how he utilized Kirby and Ditko. They may have done most of the legwork, but Stan had the knack for creating hit stories and characters and knew when to leave 'em alone and when to guide the ship.

Also: I think Kirby would definitely still be remembered even if Stan and the Marvel universe never happened. It would be by comics aficionados, of course, but the Simon and Kirby team were a huge deal historically because of their enormous output. I mean, they created the romance comic genre from scratch!
    Kamandi is amazing, love it and was very glad to see it get two nice hardcovers just to bad it was not oversized.

Robert Short

Finally. ABSOLUTE BATMAN: THE COURT OF OWLS
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...-court-of-owls

Can`t wait for this.

Amazing Member

I think this is a little dickish way to put it, but it will offer that nothing happens in a vacuum. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby worked together and made these books and characters. Who knows what would have happened if he had not been there? He certainly knew how to make popular characters. As much as I love The New Gods, it can be argued that Orion or Kamadi or any of Jack's excellent DC work and even Darkseid are not as much of a cultural touchstone as say Spider-man or Iron Man. It was the fusion of the two men that created the comics.

I think the ultimate point is not, did Jack need Stan but did Stan take an unfair share of the credit? Well, he is no Bob Kane, but...

All-New Member

I will have to save up and preorder the Absolute Batman Owls Edition!

All-New Member

Do you guys think DC will put out huge complete NEW 52 Omnibus' for most of the more popular characters? I would like to have one huge book for WW or Batgirl or Flash sitting on my shelf instead of having to buy all the TB's.