View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 307 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2072572973033043053063073083093103113173574078071307 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 21672
    Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kandor Rising View Post
    It was announced, but was cancelled because Levitz (still in charge at the time) thought it was super-racist.
    Which is the truth but completely absurd. There are much more offensive images and depictions in both marvel and DC golden and silver age books. To self censor a book because of it being a product of its time is not the right thing to do and shows that people have learned noting since it was published. It's a different era and reeks of fear. I would argue that a mascot drawing like Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians is as visually offensive as any image drawn in MSOE. Seems to me they're not doing anything about that. Just sayin'.

I love Jeff Smith's MSOE as well! His drawing suits Captain Marvel so well and it's a fun story. Those were some good years for Cap. That book and Geoff Johns version in JSA, which is by far the best modern take IMO, were a great time to be a Cap fan. Stealing Thunder story arc I'm looking at you!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Keefer View Post
    Which is the truth but completely absurd. There are much more offensive images and depictions in both marvel and DC golden and silver age books. To self censor a book because of it being a product of its time is not the right thing to do and shows that people have learned noting since it was published. It's a different era and reeks of fear. I would argue that a mascot drawing like Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians is as visually offensive as any image drawn in MSOE. Seems to me they're not doing anything about that. Just sayin'.

I love Jeff Smith's MSOE as well! His drawing suits Captain Marvel so well and it's a fun story. Those were some good years for Cap. That book and Geoff Johns version in JSA, which is by far the best modern take IMO, were a great time to be a Cap fan. Stealing Thunder story arc I'm looking at you!
    The Wonder Woman Chronicles had the black porter in one issue redrawn to be less of a stereotype, and they might have changed his dialog. The archives had him as originally drawn, but there was a disclaimer in the front of the book saying it wasn't cool and was presented as a historical record.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I finally got to New Frontier after years. I never wanted it in TPB and I'm not a big fan of Cooke so I didn't want to spring for the Absolute. I love the deluxe though and thought the story was fantastic. It's really more of a Green Lantern origin story but it was a good read and compelling. As for Cooke's art, much of the time it was spot on for the content and atmosphere of the story. Some panels and pages were gorgeous but (and this is my problem with Cooke) other panels looked like stuff I used to draw when I was a kid.

I'm glad I finally have it in deluxe and it's definitely something I'll reread over the years.
    you must be a fantastic artist then by now :P
    But joking aside, could you show an example? I'm interested because I basically love every panel Cooke does.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    you must be a fantastic artist then by now :P
    But joking aside, could you show an example? I'm interested because I basically love every panel Cooke does.
    Sure. Here's one from the beginning. I'm not trying to be annoying when I said it looked like stuff I drew as a kid. This actually looks like something I would have drawn as a kid. The perspective is off and the anatomy is awkward. It don't love him in the first place so getting panels like these don't help. I will say that when Cooke has the right material and is burning on all cylinders it can be really amazing for me and this book was mostly amazing.

IMG_20150406_184359203.jpg

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Sure. Here's one from the beginning. I'm not trying to be annoying when I said it looked like stuff I drew as a kid. This actually looks like something I would have drawn as a kid. The perspective is off and the anatomy is awkward. It don't love him in the first place so getting panels like these don't help. I will say that when Cooke has the right material and is burning on all cylinders it can be really amazing for me and this book was mostly amazing.

That looks great to me. I love his artwork.
    Cyclops was right

Incredible Member

That middle panel looks off with the proportions, but others look good.

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kandor Rising View Post
    The Wonder Woman Chronicles had the black porter in one issue redrawn to be less of a stereotype, and they might have changed his dialog. The archives had him as originally drawn, but there was a disclaimer in the front of the book saying it wasn't cool and was presented as a historical record.
    It is a historical record. The disclaimer is fine. They dont need to redraw history for ignorant people who would take something like that in a spiteful way because I seriously doubt anyone reading it is that type of person.

Cookes art always grabs me. Proportions be damned. He's an aces storyteller

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    That looks great to me. I love his artwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    That middle panel looks off with the proportions, but others look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Keefer View Post
    Cookes art always grabs me. Proportions be damned. He's an aces storyteller

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cooke, but that middle panel does look off. Did I mention I LOVE him, though?

The middle panel is just a little bit off but he makes up for it with the lights and the shadows. It is nowhere near off as, say, 90% of Gulacy's drawings.
    Also, while Cooke's proportions are usually consistent, cartoony artwork allows the artist to be a bit more flexible with anatomy. And the only thing that doesn't really work on that panel are the upper arms, everything else is at the right place.

The proportions are indeed off in the second panel, but it's not too bad (by that reasoning you must really hate Kirby and especially Steranko, btw). But I can in general understand that Cooke's art can be divisive. I wasn't his biggest fan either - until I read NF (and then of course the Parker GNs he does for IDW, in which his style perfectly matches the stories).

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

The middle panel is just a little bit off but he makes up for it with the lights and the shadows. It is nowhere near off as, say, 90% of Gulacy's drawings.
    Also, while Cooke's proportions are usually consistent, cartoony artwork allows the artist to be a bit more flexible with anatomy. And the only thing that doesn't really work on that panel are the upper arms, everything else is at the right place.
    Exactly. But did he want it that way, or is it unintentionally bad?
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 04-07-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerd the nerd View Post
    Exactly. But did he want it that way, or did he just draw it badly?
    who knows? (the Shadow, but that's an other topic...badum-tsss...sorry, I have no better answer )

asked this in another topic but probably I have better chance getting an answer here:
    Does Simonson's Orion tell a proper story with a neat ending or is it interrupted by crossovers/events and/or the ending is left open for a new writer to pick up?

asked this in another topic but probably I have better chance getting an answer here:
    Does Simonson's Orion tell a proper story with a neat ending or is it interrupted by crossovers/events and/or the ending is left open for a new writer to pick up?
    Good question because I assumed it told a complete story when I blindly ordered it. I think it does, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cooke, but that middle panel does look off. Did I mention I LOVE him, though?
    It's off enough to really bother me. It's JRJR proportions right there and if that were the only time he did that it would be okay for me but those perspective and anatomy issues (especially with his hands) show up a lot. Especially in Parker. I sold Parker Martini edition pretty quickly because I couldn't handle how bad I personally, thought the artwork was without the help of coloring.