View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 324 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2242743143203213223233243253263273283343744248241324 ... LastLast
Results 4,846 to 4,860 of 21672
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    You should, it's good stuff!

Better yet, pre-order it now. The more pre-orders, the more likely they are to release another volume (which would complete the Millar run).
    I think the second volume, Darker Genesis, has been listed for pre-order, but it has the wrong creator info. It lists Will Pfeifer as the writer, not Millar. But the page count does not jibe with the amount of ST work that Pfiefer provided (two fill-in issues with Rich Corben during the Diggle/Dysart series, and the awful Brightest Day: Search for Swamp Thing mini), and one of the alternate reality stories in Millar's third run is titled "Darker Genesis", which is set on an Earth 3 type world. I think it's just an error by DC, and this is actually the second Millar ST volume.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    The ST issues that Millar co-writes with Morrison are actually the weakest part of the run, but since this tpb continues with the first five solo Millar issues leading into 150, I'd say it's well worth picking up. Millar's run is interesting in that it manages to get better by the issue and ups the shakes with every arc he produces. Also, his standalone issues are among the best single issues of all of ST, especially "Swamp Dog" and "Chester Williams: American Cop".
    how interesting that working together they don't write a very good book, but separately both of them are very capable writers.

A few pages back I was complaining about the Punk rock Jesus deluxe, how overpriced it is and now that I own and read the book I can confirm that it is indeed not worth the price for me.
    don't get me wrong, I loved the story and the art and I won't sell the book, I just wish I paid 5 pounds less for it, but too late for that.
    The binding is crap, the book won't lay flat at all (and for Odin's beard, it's only around 350 pages) and I couldn't care less for 80% of the extras. I love Murphy's stuff, I am drawing comics myself but I just flipped through like 30 pages of page layouts in 2 seconds because it was just not interesting at all. That said, the other 20% of the extras was nice.
    Still, if anybody likes to have shittons of extras and like to look at mostly page layouts and rough pencils, don't hesitate to pick this book up, the paper quality is nice and the story is reaaaally good (and reaaaallly sad).

Did american Jesus ever get a vol 2?

Spectacular Member

I would love to see Veitch's Swamp Thing reprinted as well. I thought he was great and hated to see it end the way it did. The series just kind of lost steam after that ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post

So... yeah, I'd rather see DC finish just a few of the runs it has started (Ostrander Spectre and Martian Manhunter, Grell Green Arrow, Dixon Nightwing and Birds of Prey...) than to spare some of that precious back catalog space on mostly lame events. I think they've been choosing some pretty good stuff lately, it's just that there is such a big backlog of material worthy of a reprint, they have to prioritize, surely. And as much as I wish they'd do more omnis by folks other than Johns and Morrison (who I love, don't get me wrong), those names sell more books than a 30 year old event written by Keith Giffen and Bill Mantlo.

Just playing devil's advocate- if some people love those events, more power to you!
    I can't complain about those Dixon and Ostrander books. I'm hoping that get the whole Birds of Prey run in large paperback out there and ultimately I hope they get Batgirl out there too. But I don't look at it as an either/or---those crossover books just seem perfect for the Complete Omnibus treatment and seem more marketable than good runs of Nightwing or Birds of Prey that were more of monthly readers.
    trying to be nicer

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    Y'know, you could ask the same question about Zero hour, Millennium,Final Night, Invasion, and for that matter a Crisis omnibus with all the crossovers? Shoot, I want Armageddon 2001 collected...but I might be the only one.
    I'd like an Armageddon 2001 collection, but with the original ending.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I'm waiting for DK3, Sandman Overture, and Before Watchmen to be collected into Absolute Back to the Well.
    *snerk*

I would love to see Veitch's Swamp Thing reprinted as well. I thought he was great and hated to see it end the way it did. The series just kind of lost steam after that ended.
    Back when Rick was working regularly with Vertigo, there was a rumor that they were going to print the pulped ST issue in the final collection of his run, but then Vertigo stopped putting out tpbs of the run. (They stopped right around when Rick was doing less of the art, which I guess made sense as the collections didn't set the world on fire sales-wise.) There was a further rumor that they were going to let Rick finish his run as he intended with Gary Erskine inking him as there were plots and script fragments still around, but that rumor always struck me as more dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Did american Jesus ever get a vol 2?
    Do you mean "American Jesus" by Mark Millar and Peter Gross, which was originally published as Chosen? No, they never followed up with a second series. Gross has been kept very busy by DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    how interesting that working together they don't write a very good book, but separately both of them are very capable writers.

Actually Skrull Kill Krew by those two was one of the funniest comics I've ever read.

Do you mean "American Jesus" by Mark Millar and Peter Gross, which was originally published as Chosen? No, they never followed up with a second series. Gross has been kept very busy by DC.
    Yes, that was the one, had the floppies, very interesting story

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Actually Skrull Kill Krew by those two was one of the funniest comics I've ever read.
    Their run on The Flash was pretty good as well.

Incredible Member

I think they re-printed Veitch's Swamp Thing through #81 (in volumes 7, 8 and 9 following Moore's 6 volumes), leaving #82-87, the unpublished Veitch version of #88 (if it exists), and Annual #4 (by Steve Bissette) from that time period uncollected. Gaiman wrote Annual #5 between the Veitch and Wheeler runs, and that was collected in "Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days," but I guess you could recollect it in a final Veitch volume. Wheeler took over with #88 and wraps up Veitch's time travel storyline in #90 I believe. I think that would be the most logical stopping point for a trade if your goal is to wrap up the story Veitch began. The end of #90 would sort-of be a bridge in a way for the Brian K. Vaughan series, which DC recently put out trades of.

But given the fact DC just clearanced out Veitch's vol 8 and 9 trades last year, and probably not many clamoring people for a re-print of his run, DC will probably just stick the big marquee names for Swamp Thing trades like Moore, Vaughan, Morrison and Millar rather than finish Veitch's run or reprint the the Wheeler/Collins/Foreman issues.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I think the second volume, Darker Genesis, has been listed for pre-order, but it has the wrong creator info. It lists Will Pfeifer as the writer, not Millar. But the page count does not jibe with the amount of ST work that Pfiefer provided (two fill-in issues with Rich Corben during the Diggle/Dysart series, and the awful Brightest Day: Search for Swamp Thing mini), and one of the alternate reality stories in Millar's third run is titled "Darker Genesis", which is set on an Earth 3 type world. I think it's just an error by DC, and this is actually the second Millar ST volume.
    Ah, good catch! I did notice that solicit, but I assumed that the error was with the creator(s) as opposed to the content.

It does make more sense than reprinting the Diggle/Dysart stuff; I still see those 3 trades in bargain bins on a regular basis.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Ah, good catch! I did notice that solicit, but I assumed that the error was with the creator(s) as opposed to the content.

It does make more sense than reprinting the Diggle/Dysart stuff; I still see those 3 trades in bargain bins on a regular basis.
    And funny enough, I don't think the Pfeifer issues (just #7-8) ever got collected in either of those first two trades. #21-29 by Dysart are also uncollected.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    And funny enough, I don't think the Pfeifer issues (just #7-8) ever got collected in either of those first two trades. #21-29 by Dysart are also uncollected.
    I don't believe they were either. That whole run was a disaster. It had potential and then quickly derailed.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    They weren't collected. I actually own all those trades, mostly for the Enrique Breccia art. (Great fill-ins, too-- Corben, Tim Green, Ron Wimberley.)