View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 328 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2282783183243253263273283293303313323383784288281328 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 21672
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Hitman by Ennis... knew I was forgetting one! That's like numero dos.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Keefer View Post
    Lemire is one of the great modern talents in comics and we were lucky that he even bothered to write superhero comics. His creator owned work is amazing. Whatever editor messed with him should be immediately fired. Actually anyone that caused 2 fantastic writers like Lemire and Soule to jump ship need to be canned. Grrrrrr grumble mumble

Stupid DC missing the boat on locking down great talent. They gave Jason Aaron his start and I vividly remember reading his first book, The Other Side, knowing this guy was hella talented and DC let's him slip through their fingers. How can this constantly keep happening? You have to be blind to not recognize this talent. I mean different regime but they had Brubaker on Batman wasting his time for years doing shit ass crossovers when they could have said ,"Go tell your story" like Marvel did with him and Captain America. So many missed opportunities it just kills me.
    lol seriously man. its so frustrating knowing they could've told some great stories at dc that we'll never get. soule even made red lanterns good for me and i hated that from the start haha

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    I'm not sure that Lemire is exclusive with marvel. He is playing a large role in the Valiant Universe right now with The Valiant and Bloodshot Reborn (which is excellent).
    heard good things. i'm excited to start picking up valiant books now that he's over there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    lol seriously man. its so frustrating knowing they could've told some great stories at dc that we'll never get. soule even made red lanterns good for me and i hated that from the start haha

heard good things. i'm excited to start picking up valiant books now that he's over there.
    yeah Soule and Lemire leave and we get left with Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    yeah Soule and Lemire leave and we get left with Grant Morrison
    Such a bad decision on their part. Soule and Lemire aren't even doing well over at Marvel from what it seems.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Such a bad decision on their part. Soule and Lemire aren't even doing well over at Marvel from what it seems.
    Soule's She-Hulk was critically acclaimed but it wasn't a commercial success. People also had issues with the interior artist. Soule also basically was trying to polish a turd with the last incarnation of Thunderbolts, which I think Diggle started that run.

He took over for Fraction on Inhuman because Marvel and Fraction seemed to have a disagreement about the direction of the book. The read between the lines there is that Soule is probably limited by what Marvel editorial or even Marvel corporate wants for the Inhuman book. I think Soule has had mixed reviews overall on Inhuman.

Soule was also handed the reigns for the Death of Wolverine, and if you read the commentaries in the hardcover edition, he basically did the best he could do. We all know the Death of Wolverine isn't going to stick. We all know there are limits to how big and momentous you can make an event that's going to be reversed at some point. I think he did the best one could do given the circumstances of the book. And now he's had to drive the post-Death of Wolverine titles which are just filling the Wolverine void until Secret Wars.

So Soule hasn't really had much outstanding work at Marvel, but they're also not giving him a lot of free reign.

Lemire is so far just doing All-New Hawkeye, and that just started, but it already has critical acclaim. So I'd say he's doing just fine.

I think it'll be interesting and telling what kind of titles Marvel throws to Soule and Lemire after this Secret Wars stuff is over.

Is was Daniel Way who kickedoff Thunderbolts btw.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Soule was also handed the reigns for the Death of Wolverine, and if you read the commentaries in the hardcover edition, he basically did the best he could do. We all know the Death of Wolverine isn't going to stick. We all know there are limits to how big and momentous you can make an event that's going to be reversed at some point. I think he did the best one could do given the circumstances of the book.
    Lemire is so far just doing All-New Hawkeye, and that just started, but it already has critical acclaim. So I'd say he's doing just fine.
    I would say Wolverine was a solid win. It seemed like it was pretty well liked for what it was and I'm pretty sure it sold well. It received a deluxe version, which doesn't really happen with poor performing books.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Huh?

She-Hulk was pretty popular (and they're supposed to start the title back with a "season 2"), not sure about Inhumans as I haven't read it, Thunderbolts was great, and Death of Wolverine was pretty good up until the lame ending that Marvel's editorial department no-doubt enforced.

Lemire has done, what? Two issues of Hawkeye? How do you even judge that?

I don't see the hype for Soule. I liked his Swamp Thing just fine, and Red Lanterns was good, but that's not saying much as he took that book over from Peter Milligan, who isn't really on point with his writing these days. His Marvel work is literally nothing I'm even remotely interested in reading though - maybe that's why.

Love Lemire though, actually love just about everything he's done.

Incredible Member

On the DC omni wishlist topic (again):

Silver/Bronze/Curt Swan Superman.
    Byrne Superman.
    70's/Denny Batman.
    Possibly Jurgens era Superman.
    Waid Flash.
    Golden Age Batman.
    Moore Swamp Thing.
    Legends of The Dark Knight.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Waid Flash
    Dini Detective
    Moore Swamp Thing
    Hellblazer
    Byrne Superman
    Grell Green Arrow
    O'Neil Batman
    Fables
    Azarello WW
    Johns Aquaman
    Lemire Animal Man

Ok, that's 11

Incredible Member

^ Ooh, add Azzarello WW and Dini Detective to mine, too.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CP1234 View Post
    I don't see the hype for Soule. I liked his Swamp Thing just fine, and Red Lanterns was good, but that's not saying much as he took that book over from Peter Milligan, who isn't really on point with his writing these days.
    Milligan's always been like that for most of his work-for-hire. Give him a book to develop on his own and he's generally great, but otherwise, he's going to phone in it. I've really enjoyed both The Names and Terminal Hero, but his in-universe DC books and Shadowman were mostly crap, except for the JL: D issue that focused on Deadman and Dove's relationship-- that was great.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I would say Wolverine was a solid win. It seemed like it was pretty well liked for what it was and I'm pretty sure it sold well. It received a deluxe version, which doesn't really happen with poor performing books.
    Well, I was speaking about the book quality wise from reviews I read - that it was good to okay, but not amazing. It's unlikely the Death of Wolverine will be someone's Old Man Logan or Origin or anything. I think he did a fine story that was a jaunt through Wolverine's entire history. But the scale of the limited series certainly didn't end up being very grand. For a book about the death of Wolverine, it was all pretty reserved and quite understated. But it wasn't bad or poor.

Almost everything with Wolverine in it sells well. Of course the Death of Wolverine was a big seller and got a deluxe version right off the bat. But people won't really remember Soule in the near or distant future for the Death of Wolverine.

But this is really for a different thread now.

Here is my Wishlist:

DC:
    Gotham Central
    Batman: Streets of Gotham + Gotham City Sirens
    Batman: Knightfall (3 books)
    Batman: No Man’s Land (2 books)
    Hitman (2 books)
    The Question
    Superman: New Krypton

Vertigo:
    Astro City
    Jack of Fables
    Fairest
    Preacher (2 books)
    Swamp Thing by Moore
    The Dreaming
    House of Mystery

From The new 52 I would also like a WW Omnibus best.
    I would also like a Hellblazer Series of 8 - 10 Omnibuses, but this will not happen. They will need another 10 years to complete the series of TPBs, maybe afterwards.