View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 332 of 1444 FirstFirst ... 2322823223283293303313323333343353363423824328321332 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 21657
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    I think ultimately a Morrison Batman will happen.

It's easy to give my top ten (or twenty or thirty) most want omnibuses. But if you ask me for a likely omnibus, that's where I get confused. What's reasonable to me doesn't seem to have any basis in whats reasonable for DC. I see omnibuses as mostly to a collector's market, I don't think too many people are just randomly buying omnibuses. So in that regard, just about any run seems reasonable to me. I'm actually surprised that DC doesn't have more classic material in print. I can't figure them out.

Take the 52 weekly series omnibus. If memory serves, that was a good seller for them. I would think by that mark, Countdown would get an omnibus. Similar series, maybe not quite as critically received, but I liked it and people would buy it. Not out. Or the Jack Kirby New Gods stuff--why wouldn't you release that in a traditional omnibus?

Hard for me to guess cause I really don't know their criteria.
    With Morrison's Batman I wish they'd at least release the deluxe editions they haven't. (Time and the Batman and Inc vol 2.) I'd also love Absolutes of Black Glove and RIP, and Return of Bruce Wayne. (Return of Bruce Wayne could include Batman 700-702.)

Only then would I support an omnibus, and then I'm scared they would get the order totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxex View Post
    With Morrison's Batman I wish they'd at least release the deluxe editions they haven't. (Time and the Batman and Inc vol 2.) I'd also love Absolutes of Black Glove and RIP, and Return of Bruce Wayne. (Return of Bruce Wayne could include Batman 700-702.)

Only then would I support an omnibus, and then I'm scared they would get the order totally wrong.
    Yes, yes and yes. Amen.

Incredible Member

They could finish off Morrison's run with two more Absolutes:
    Absolute Batman and Son vs. The Black Glove: Batman and Son/The Black Glove/The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul

and

Absolute Batman R.I.P.: Batman R.I.P. / Time and the Batman / Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

Then you could have a reading order of:
    Absolute Batman and Son vs. The Black Glove
    Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn
    Absolute Batman R.I.P.
    Absolute Batman Incorporated

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    They could finish off Morrison's run with two more Absolutes:
    Absolute Batman and Son vs. The Black Glove: Batman and Son/The Black Glove/The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul

and

Absolute Batman R.I.P.: Batman R.I.P. / Time and the Batman / Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

Then you could have a reading order of:
    Absolute Batman and Son vs. The Black Glove
    Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn
    Absolute Batman R.I.P.
    Absolute Batman Incorporated
    RIP comes before Batman & Robin. It would be preferable to do Batman & Son/Black Glove/RIP in one Absolute and Time & the Batman and Return of Bruce Wayne in another. Resurrection of Ra's only has two Morrison issues and could be thrown in but the whole crossover is totally unnecessary and not very good anyway.

Amazing Member

I can see wanting the whole Batman run in Absolute, but I think they've pretty much collected everything that would benefit from the enlarged art. Either way is fine by me, though. I just don't think the rest of the run is as strong as what's been collected in Absolute format thus far.

Time and the Batman being the only regular HC is incredibly annoying, however.

Any thoughts on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus from 2011? Is it oversized? The first absolute is out of my price range so I was wondering if this was a worthy alternative.

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nateallen30 View Post
    Any thoughts on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus from 2011? Is it oversized? The first absolute is out of my price range so I was wondering if this was a worthy alternative.
    It's oversized, but glued. Naturally the binding is fairly stiff, but I'm happy to have it.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Gordon View Post
    It's oversized, but glued. Naturally the binding is fairly stiff, but I'm happy to have it.
    Thought the League Omnibus was standard trim OHC no? Like the Stories Of Alan Moore hardcover?

Quote Originally Posted by Nateallen30 View Post
    It is oversized but the binding is awfully tight. Still, I love to have it in ohc but the rest of the run is standard sized (BD, Century, Nemo's, although BD has an absolute edition but I heard it's not the best of the line) so for the sake of shelf uniformity maybe you should buy the 2 volume standard edition? Probably cheaper. But I wouldn't advise against buying the omni.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Has anyone got any of the 75th anniversary OHCs?

I saw the Flash one at the weekend and it looked quite nice, but it was sealed and the cover didnt even say what was inside!

I note there are also ones for Shazam, and some up coming ones for Robin and Green Lantern.

Are they nice books and worth getting?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    Yes, yes and yes. Amen.
    And yes, I would buy the absolutes, deluxes and omnibus. I just wouldn't mention to my wife that I own roughly 5 versions of the same story

Spectacular Member

There was some wishlist inquiry going on few pages back. I would really like Astro City in Absolute format. Kind of puzzles me that there aren't even any OHCs for the series.

Apart from a few Superman and Batman stories, I know very little about DC Comics. The Geoff Johns Flash/Green Lantern/JSA omnibi look interesting, are they newbie friendly?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentilZha View Post
    Apart from a few Superman and Batman stories, I know very little about DC Comics. The Geoff Johns Flash/Green Lantern/JSA omnibi look interesting, are they newbie friendly?
    Yep. Johns does a great job making his works accesible. JSA is my favorite work from him though 1/3rd of the first omni isn't written by him (it's done by other very capable writers though so it's definitely not a waste).
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Has anyone got any of the 75th anniversary OHCs?

I saw the Flash one at the weekend and it looked quite nice, but it was sealed and the cover didnt even say what was inside!

I note there are also ones for Shazam, and some up coming ones for Robin and Green Lantern.

Are they nice books and worth getting?
    I got all of them: Superman, Lois Lane, Batman, Joker, The Flash, Shazam and (50 years of) Teen Titans. Upcoming are Robin, Green Lantern, JSA, The Spirit and hopefully some more. I would have expected at least Lex Luther also coming in 2015, but was disapointed by the last solicits. We will have to see, if DC will publish some more in the next years.

First of all: They are NOT OHC, but standard size.

They give a good overview of the characters through the ages, but the material is non-consistent at times, picking single issues from longer runs, etc. These are books for people who have an interest in the past and want to see the characters evolve, but if you want to read the stories than you are maybe better of by picking other books of these characters.