View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 345 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2452953353413423433443453463473483493553954458451345 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,175 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    I would have preferred that they continue Green Lantern Vol 2 in a third Omnibus, including the GL/GA part (which actually are GL issues 76 to 89), but I guess they messed up already when making the first two volumes so small.

I agree, it's a classic, but I also agree, it's a little bit dated.
    It is dated. We acknowledged that. So is Amazing Fantasy # 15, but all true comic collectors/enthusiasts must read it!

Quote Originally Posted by aleksivic View Post
    Convergence isn't even over but DC has already given up on the New 52 spine design!!

RIP

Here's my theory: Spine designers tend to frustrate people because they're frustrated not be cover designers. But they want to design something to make an impact. Even if it doesn't make sense. After a few years (nobody wants to be a spine designer for too long), a new one appears and obviously what can he do to make himself feel better? Right: change the design. I wonder what happened to that Batwoman 2 "rebel"?
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    Here's my theory: Spine designers tend to frustrate people because they're frustrated not be cover designers. But they want to design something to make an impact. Even if it doesn't make sense. After a few years (nobody wants to be a spine designer for too long), a new one appears and obviously what can he do to make himself feel better? Right: change the design. I wonder what happened to that Batwoman 2 "rebel"?
    Either that or they have to redesign it every so often to justify keeping their job. Otherwise you're just typing stuff into a template and they can just pay someone to design the template and just pay someone else less to just type in the new stuff.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Incredible Member

My guess would be something different:

Regarding Batwoman Vol. 2: Someone just screwed up and used the wrong logo spine art. I believe that's the "logo" they use at the bottom of TPBs, whereas they use the "full" DC logo at the bottom of the standard HCs. They might have quite literally submitted the TPB cover design for the HC dust jacket and no one realized it until it was too late.

Regarding 'Tec Vol. 6: While it's even more of a departure than the Batman Vol. 3 situation (which was unique because of the acetate dust jacket), my guess is DC allowed for a different dust jacket design to highlight Francis Manapul's unique style. Could they have left the typeface alone, done surnames only, kept the generic blue topper instead of inserting Batman's mug there? Absolutely. I think The Flash had uniform spine design. But maybe they wanted this book to feel special because of Manapul.

I think it will be interesting to see what the Batgirl Vol. 1: The Batgirl of Burnside dust jacket looks like to see if DC is going to diverge from the standard New 52 branding even more with this new volume.

I'm pretty sure the same person does the whole cover design: front, back, spine :P
    Probably it is the person who designed the whole trade.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Convergence isn't even over but DC has already given up on the New 52 spine design!!
    While I'm not sad to see the New 52 spine design go (it's a little bland, imho), they could have kept it for Detective vol. 6, considering the issues contained are all pre-Convergence.

Then again this might just be my ocd talking...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    I think it will be interesting to see what the Batgirl Vol. 1: The Batgirl of Burnside dust jacket looks like to see if DC is going to diverge from the standard New 52 branding even more with this new volume.
    So there won't be a Batgirl Vol. 6? Interesting, considering highly publicized creative team changes haven't resulted in re-numbering for other books (Finches Wonder Woman, for example).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Having a really hard time finding a quality, oversized Jack Kirby hardcover. I was really hoping for New Gods/Fourth World Omnibus, but upon further inspection as well as the communities generous feedback, I'm deciding to hold on for future collections.

At this point, I may just go with Simonson's Orion omnibus, due to high praise and a better physical build. Possibly giving me a distant taste of Jack Kirby's genius.

Welcome to any suggestions.
    Last edited by Johnatellodi; 05-21-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Found something interesting on Amazon, wasn't sure if this was discussed or not. There's a "Serious Edition Comic Bundle" PS4/Xbox One version of the upcoming Batman: Arkham Knight video game that includes an exclusive Arkham Asylum hardcover along with in-game preorder bonuses. Based on the image Amazon has posted, it's the 25th Anniversary deluxe edition with an alternate cover. And it's actually on sale right now for $70 instead of the normal retail price of $90. Don't know for sure if it will have the same dimensions of the OHC deluxe edition, but since I hadn't gotten around to buying that yet and was planning on pre-ordering the game anyway, I took a chance. At worst, I paid $10 for a standard size hardcover of Arkham Asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
    Not sure if this was posted before, but the new Planetary Omnibus printing has hybrid bindings, better than the first print, which was glued.
    First printing is sewn as well. It's a mousetrap for a different reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Having a really hard time finding a quality, oversized Jack Kirby hardcover. I was really hoping for New Gods/Fourth World Omnibus, but upon further inspection as well as the communities generous feedback, I'm deciding to hold on for future collections.

At this point, I may just go with Simonson's Orion omnibus, due to high praise and a better physical build. Possibly giving me a distant taste of Jack Kirby's genius.

Welcome to any suggestions.
    If you want oversize Kirby...have you seen this?
    http://www.amazon.com/King-Size-Kirb...ing+size+kirby
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Incredible Member

If you want oversize Kirby...have you seen this?
    http://www.amazon.com/King-Size-Kirb...ing+size+kirby
    Thanks, that's a great find, although I am mostly interested in his DC work. Still, that is tempting purchase.

Why haven't DC put his Fourth World in Absolute form? John Kirby would certainly fit the bill for this type of format.

Spectacular Member

RIP

Honestly, I think it looks a million times better. They should have done that from the beginning.

Compare DC's New 52 designs to Marvel's NOW! designs. Both of them are plain, with no huge amount of detail, but Marvel include a little character at the bottom. It really helps to make each book look unique, while still remaining uniform (even though the books are ridiculously thin). DC should have put a character at the top right from the start instead of that stupid block of colour.
    Last edited by TehJofus; 05-22-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Why haven't DC put his Fourth World in Absolute form? John Kirby would certainly fit the bill for this type of format.
    Because DC hates money. They're learning, though. I do appreciate how much more material has been getting released/announced as oversized editions. Maybe it's only a matter of time?

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Found something interesting on Amazon, wasn't sure if this was discussed or not. There's a "Serious Edition Comic Bundle" PS4/Xbox One version of the upcoming Batman: Arkham Knight video game that includes an exclusive Arkham Asylum hardcover along with in-game preorder bonuses. Based on the image Amazon has posted, it's the 25th Anniversary deluxe edition with an alternate cover. And it's actually on sale right now for $70 instead of the normal retail price of $90. Don't know for sure if it will have the same dimensions of the OHC deluxe edition, but since I hadn't gotten around to buying that yet and was planning on pre-ordering the game anyway, I took a chance. At worst, I paid $10 for a standard size hardcover of Arkham Asylum.
    Since it says Deluxe I imagine it would be oversized. At least it won't be like the one included with The Witcher 3. The book was actually slightly smaller than the PS4 case. It didn't cost extra so I guess I can't really complain. I'll just have to wait for it to be collected in the eventual Library Edition to see it at a bigger size.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos