View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 346 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2462963363423433443453463473483493503563964468461346 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by CP1234 View Post
    Because DC hates money. They're learning, though. I do appreciate how much more material has been getting released/announced as oversized editions. Maybe it's only a matter of time?
    DC is doing a great job with their big books lately. I think most people will agree they've surpassed Marvel at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    I think most people will agree they've surpassed Marvel at this point.
    The fact that eventually there will have been 3 volumes released within a year (give or take) for Johns' GL and JSA is enough for me to say they've surpassed Marvel, who might take years between volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by CP1234 View Post
    The fact that eventually there will have been 3 volumes released within a year (give or take) for Johns' GL and JSA is enough for me to say they've surpassed Marvel, who might take years between volumes.
    and it is considered a miracle and generous gesture when they actually release the volume 2-s (and the super rare vol 3-s).

Hello from the gutter Mad Hatter's Avatar

We will be getting the second volume of Busiek's Avengers quickly (for previous Marvel standards). Also, we've got the two remaining Brubaker's Cap omniboo in quick succession (5 months). Maybe they did change their policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    We will be getting the second volume of Busiek's Avengers quickly (for previous Marvel standards). Also, we've got the two remaining Brubaker's Cap omniboo in quick succession (5 months). Maybe they did change their policy.
    yes, the Avengers omnis are the miracles, the Brubaker omnis aren't numbered so while it's nice we have them it's nothing special and not a sign of improvement (I think Breevort said that releasing a vol3 omnibus is a risk, that's why we shouldn't expect much of those...because vol 1 and 2 gonna be oop by the time they come out with v3).

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    DC is doing a great job with their big books lately. I think most people will agree they've surpassed Marvel at this point.
    DC hasn't surpassed Marvel overall IMHO, in the sense that big portions of DC's best stuff remain very uncollected.

You have only scattered volumes if you hope to read Batman comics from 1970 to 1986 in TPB. Same with Superman. Not so with Spider-Man or etc

Waid's Flash is terribly uncollected.

"I want to read some Sat-Era JLoA"...sorry, have buy a bunch of trades to get scattered chunks.

Can go on and on.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-22-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    yes, the Avengers omnis are the miracles, the Brubaker omnis aren't numbered so while it's nice we have them it's nothing special and not a sign of improvement (I think Breevort said that releasing a vol3 omnibus is a risk, that's why we shouldn't expect much of those...because vol 1 and 2 gonna be oop by the time they come out with v3).
    I wonder what Breevort's basis for that is? It's clearly not based on MMW and those are pricy books? I know the Essentials were cheaper but they ran several titles past vol.3 in that line as well. Is it Tomb of Dracula?

Whatever the case I hope that sales of FF vol.3 show them that there is indeed a demand. I'd wager an FF vol.4 would be as highly sought after as it ends the Lee/Kirby years if they did it all the way through #125. Then what would be a theoretical vol.5 could just not have the 5 on it and they could label it something else if name recognition was a concern for selling that title, or any title lucky enough to get there.

Maybe DC vol.3s will also show Marvel the error of this thinking, that vol.3's are risky. Outside of knowing what factors caused that statement at least.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 05-22-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Dc has become very generous with the releases of their deluxe books which is a welcome improvement, and their bindings have become much better recently (although i dont get why its been so hard books have been bound for years before comics its not like some super secret thing, even DH and IDW are doing it fine), however i think there overall quality of their books is still slightly inferior.

Dc books are still somehow using black cardboard covers which are not only ugly but fleck off a little bit if you have any moisture on your hands. On top of that, like i said, the bindings are also not as good. You could argue that the paper is thicker and therefore better, but id argue that the fact that all the recent books go wavy as hell is a downside.

I understand the newer marvel ohc event books also have this issue, but the omnis and ohcs always revert back to a natural state. In fact they dont even get wavy really, they just kind of warp a little, and you can flatten it out and keep reading. DC ohc waviness took me a while to get over.

So paper for me is equal, thickness vs waviness is essentially a wash, the actual build of the marvel books, no matter how diminished from their former glory they are, still holds a slight advantage in overall quality for me.

Book quality aside dc also really needs to collect some of the older material, classic runs that brought dc to where it is today for newer generations to read, it is in this regard marvel is way ahead of dc, and this coming from a guy who swore himself as a dc fanboy until i picked up my first omni from marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    While I'm not sad to see the New 52 spine design go (it's a little bland, imho), they could have kept it for Detective vol. 6, considering the issues contained are all pre-Convergence.

Then again this might just be my ocd talking...
    Totally agree. This doesn't make sense. They could have at least reset it to Vol.1 like what they are doing with the Batgirl hardcover.

For me, I group my hardcovers in three sections:
    - Pre New 52
    - Elseworlds like the Earth One books and Injustice.
    - New 52

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Found something interesting on Amazon, wasn't sure if this was discussed or not. There's a "Serious Edition Comic Bundle" PS4/Xbox One version of the upcoming Batman: Arkham Knight video game that includes an exclusive Arkham Asylum hardcover along with in-game preorder bonuses. Based on the image Amazon has posted, it's the 25th Anniversary deluxe edition with an alternate cover. And it's actually on sale right now for $70 instead of the normal retail price of $90. Don't know for sure if it will have the same dimensions of the OHC deluxe edition, but since I hadn't gotten around to buying that yet and was planning on pre-ordering the game anyway, I took a chance. At worst, I paid $10 for a standard size hardcover of Arkham Asylum.
    Can. Not. Wait. For. Batman.

And I was tempted by that OHC too. I really wanted the bat mobile edition but it was too expensive.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I have some DC omnibuses for trade, check out out the trading thread, mainly new 52 stuff, still sealed
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Guys (and girls). There just must be some manner of Ostrander Suicide Squad collections coming up. Right? The omnibus route would be ideal, but anything would do. Deluxe? Chunky trades? Maybe I've missed it. Has something been solicited of which I'm unaware? It's just inconceivable to me that the Internet is inundated with Suicide Squad news every single day and the entire reason anyone gives a rat's rectum about the series (Ostrander) remains a collected edition nomad.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Guys (and girls). There just must be some manner of Ostrander Suicide Squad collections coming up. Right? The omnibus route would be ideal, but anything would do. Deluxe? Chunky trades? Maybe I've missed it. Has something been solicited of which I'm unaware? It's just inconceivable to me that the Internet is inundated with Suicide Squad news every single day and the entire reason anyone gives a rat's rectum about the series (Ostrander) remains a collected edition nomad.
    One TPB has been solicited and a second has shown up on Amazon (don't believe it's been officially solicited yet)

Vol 1 (same as the one from a few years ago): http://www.newsarama.com/24546-dc-au...llections.html
    Vol 2: http://smile.amazon.com/Suicide-Squa...de+squad+vol+2

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    From DC August solicitations

SUICIDE SQUAD VOL. 1: TRIAL BY FIRE TP
    Written by JOHN OSTRANDER
    Art by LUKE McDONNELL, KARL KESEL and BOB LEWIS
    Cover by JERRY BINGHAM
    On sale SEPTEMBER 2 • 232 pg, FC, $19.99 US
    In these stories from SUICIDE SQUAD #1-8 and SECRET ORIGINS #14, the team must take down the evil Jihad before it can attack the U.S. Then, the Squad is sent into Russia to extract a famous dissident—but can they get out alive?

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

^

Hooray!