View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 349 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2492993393453463473483493503513523533593994498491349 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    That's not quite correct. The four paperback versions are standard paperback trim, just like every other TPB. And they're as uniform as you're going to get for this series.

The first two hardcovers appear to be 8" x 12", while the second two are 7" x 10.5". And you like mentioned, the first volume has the Steranko tip-in plate, so it's not uniform.
    Gotcha. Then the paperbacks might be the way to go. Haven't read Vol. 3-4 yet, but it's a shame the hardcover trim is not consistent in the series. Even if the book design was different I would've settled for a uniform oversized trim.
    I'll still keep an eye out for the Book/Blu/DVD slipcase, though.

Here are some pics of my paperbacks, along with an example of what I consider "standard" trim:

As you can see in the first picture, the Black and White volumes are a wee little bit larger.
    But as the second picture illustrates, Vol. 2 is slightly larger than Vol. 1.
    Last edited by JJ87; 05-26-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    Gotcha. Then the paperbacks might be the way to go. Haven't read Vol. 3-4 yet, but it's a shame the hardcover trim is not consistent in the series. Even if the book design was different I would've settled for a uniform oversized trim.
    I'll still keep an eye out for the Book/Blu/DVD slipcase, though.

Here are some pics of my paperbacks, along with an example of what I consider "standard" trim:

As you can see in the first picture, the Black and White volumes are a wee little bit larger.
    But as the second picture illustrates, Vol. 2 is slightly larger than Vol. 1.
    Those must be first prints. That's very odd that printed them at different non-standard sizes. But then again DC didn't have much of a clue about how to do collected editions until as of late, and it's still debatable whether or not they "get it." Here are prints from the pre-New-52-Logo "DC Spin Logo" Era, as opposed to your "DC Bullet Logo" Era books that show a uniform size:

Volume 4 has title lettering closer to Volume 1, and I would assume it has the new "DC Peel Logo." But I think that combo is your best bet at uniformity.

All-New Member

Totally unrelated question to what you people are discussing right now.

When you bought the hardcover Batman Vol. 03 with the acetone dust jacket did the book arrive shrink-wrapped?
    It's driving me mad that the copy I got from bookdepository yesterday wasn't shrink-wrapped as it tends to be with all other DC hardcover books.
    Last edited by Alessfg; 05-27-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessfg View Post
    Totally unrelated question to what you people are discussing right now.

When you bought the hardcover Batman Vol. 03 with the acetone dust jacket did the book arrive shrink-wrapped?
    It's driving me mad that the copy I got from bookdepository yesterday wasn't shrink-wrapped as it tends to be with all other DC hardcover books.
    Not sure for Batman vol. 3, but the first couple of N52 books came without shrink-wrap. Must have been around that time the changed it.

Amazing Member

DC should do what they did with the Knightfall trilogy to the 80s Suicide Squad.

There's like 66 issues plus a couple of annuals and a Secret Origin story. They could easily fit all those issues in two or three chunky paperbacks.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heatvision View Post
    DC should do what they did with the Knightfall trilogy to the 80s Suicide Squad.

There's like 66 issues plus a couple of annuals and a Secret Origin story. They could easily fit all those issues in two or three chunky paperbacks.
    While I appreciate DC's effort in producing more comprehensive collections, I'd rather they didn't make anymore TPB's as big as the Knightfall ones.

Those books are just begging to fall apart after multiple readings...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Anyone has any pictures of the Superman Doomed book? I've read it is huge. Is it worth the money, or should I wait and buy the Action Comics hardcover and Superman/Wonder Woman vol.2 separately?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post
    Anyone has any pictures of the Superman Doomed book? I've read it is huge. Is it worth the money, or should I wait and buy the Action Comics hardcover and Superman/Wonder Woman vol.2 separately?
    No pics, but I've seen (and touched!) it. Pretty hefty.

Are you already buying Action Comics and/or Superman/Wonder Woman in HC? If so, I'd just stick with those. Otherwise you'll have an annoying gap in your collections...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heatvision View Post

I intentionally passed on those cause I felt the quality would degrade rather quickly during an initial reading, let alone subsequent ones.
    Waiting for an omnibus on the Knightfall/quest/end/Prodigal saga
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I intentionally passed on those cause I felt the quality would degrade rather quickly during an initial reading, let alone subsequent ones.
    Waiting for an omnibus on the Knightfall/quest/end/Prodigal saga
    I'd triple dip only if they include the skipped issues of "Knightquest", and broke the whole thing up into 2 or 3 smaller omni's (preferably at the $75 price point).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    While I appreciate DC's effort in producing more comprehensive collections, I'd rather they didn't make anymore TPB's as big as the Knightfall ones.

Those books are just begging to fall apart after multiple readings...
    If you (or anyone else) have them, how's the build quality on the most recent NML editions? And actually, how many are there, three or four?

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    If you (or anyone else) have them, how's the build quality on the most recent NML editions? And actually, how many are there, three or four?
    There's four TPBs for the No Man's Land editions. If you're familiar with the JLA trades that are reprinting the 1997-2006 series, they're basically the same as those. They have glossy paper stock with average thickness. The only complaint I have with them is that all of the covers are in the back of the book instead of at the beginning of the respective issue.

Also, regarding the Knightfall trades, while I've only read through mine once a piece they look exactly the same as they did when I bought them. Unless you're really rough with your books you don't need to worry about them falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    No pics, but I've seen (and touched!) it. Pretty hefty.

Are you already buying Action Comics and/or Superman/Wonder Woman in HC? If so, I'd just stick with those. Otherwise you'll have an annoying gap in your collections...
    That's why I asked, I do buy the hardcovers, and I don't like gaps in my collection . But how is the reading order? Is Action comics the main story and the other, Superman/WW and the Superman issues, side stories? Or is it really a crossover. Cause I don't want to switch books every 2 issues or so to understand what's going on.

I'm hoping that 'Multiverity' will see an 'Absolute' release. I waited out to read it in one go and feel that this is a series in need of the huge size that Absolute's bring.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Not sure for Batman vol. 3, but the first couple of N52 books came without shrink-wrap. Must have been around that time the changed it.
    Strange, the copies I got for the first two Batman volumes did have a shrink-wrap. I guess that could be due to them being newer reprints. Anyways I should be happy that I managed to get the death of the family acetone dust jacket since it is reportedly out of print .