View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 375 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2753253653713723733743753763773783793854254758751375 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,625 of 21672
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Can't agree more. I've long said this, but a central theme with Ennis' writing is the value of friendship, from Tommy and Nat, to Cassidy and Jesse to Billy and Hughie, etc. The dude can craft some touching conversations. Also - and you caught it here - that annual was bad ass. The thing about Ennis is that he didn't write "throw away" one shots. His Hitman vs. Lobo story was another one-shot that was cool as well.
    Yes indeed. You forget sometimes that under the profanity lies some very powerful emotional stuff few writers can rival. And yeah I agree, even when the stories are meant as fillers (for example the Final Night tie-in) they matter if only because they further develop the characters and their relarionships between each other. And that annual was the perfect mix of a classic film homage and just plain ol' Hitman style craziness. The ending was bit grim though (even for Ennis) but an amazing story indeed. I especially loved the stand-off (like I said, perfect mix between classic western homage and Hitman insanity). Overall I can't wait to get my mitts on vol 5-7.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I was hesitating with that Absolute Y as I haven't read this comics ever. It will be the occasion! But I thought it was scheduled for later this month?

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

I'm also interested in the paper stock on Absolute Y. Similar matte paper as is in the deluxes or the Absolutes of LH/DV/HK?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I'm also interested in the paper stock on Absolute Y. Similar matte paper as is in the deluxes or the Absolutes of LH/DV/HK?
    From what I've seen, Absolute Transmetropolitan got the matte paper... so Y the last man probably too.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Yes indeed. You forget sometimes that under the profanity lies some very powerful emotional stuff few writers can rival. And yeah I agree, even when the stories are meant as fillers (for example the Final Night tie-in) they matter if only because they further develop the characters and their relarionships between each other. And that annual was the perfect mix of a classic film homage and just plain ol' Hitman style craziness. The ending was bit grim though (even for Ennis) but an amazing story indeed. I especially loved the stand-off (like I said, perfect mix between classic western homage and Hitman insanity). Overall I can't wait to get my mitts on vol 5-7.

Oh man, you haven't read the whole run? I wish I was you and reading it for the first time.
    By the way, speaking of one-shots, although it wasn't a one-shot, the Hitman issue that featured Superman in it - the one that was mostly a conversation - won an Eisner that year for best story as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post

Paper stock is like the deluxe. Here's a closer look

it might be worth a topic, but i wonder if I'm the only person in the world that found Y boring?

Amazing Member

Yes.

Edit: being slightly less facetious, I can see how the meandering nature of the story might lose potential readers. While I really enjoy it, love it even, it does feel like a series of lots of little vignettes while he stumbles his way across the world to Beth; the overarching theme being the development of the relationship between 355 and Yorick.

Edit edit: There's so much richness to the world, the books explorations of what it means to be a man, what it means to be a woman, great depth of character. It's really pretty great. Shares a lot of similarities with the 70's TV show 'Kung Fu', now that I think about it.
    Last edited by GetEveryone; 07-03-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    it might be worth a topic, but i wonder if I'm the only person in the world that found Y boring?
    of course you're not the only one

i think it's generally overrated - even though i personally enjoyed it while i read it (and i might reread it sometime in the future), but definitely not to the extent of getting the expensive and bulky absolute editions, it's just not worth it for me in any aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    of course you're not the only one

i think it's generally overrated - even though i personally enjoyed it while i read it (and i might reread it sometime in the future), but definitely not to the extent of getting the expensive and bulky absolute editions, it's just not worth it for me in any aspect.
    I agree too. I think it's a good read, I liked it... but it's maybe at the bottom in my Vertigo favourites chart. Sandman, 100 Bullets, Scalped, Transmetropolitan, Preacher and Y The Last Man (these are the ones that I've read entirely)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
    I agree too. I think it's a good read, I liked it... but it's maybe at the bottom in my Vertigo favourites chart. Sandman, 100 Bullets, Scalped, Transmetropolitan, Preacher and Y The Last Man (these are the ones that I've read entirely)
    speaking of Transmetropolitan, i wish there were deluxe editions.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Oh man, you haven't read the whole run? I wish I was you and reading it for the first time.
    By the way, speaking of one-shots, although it wasn't a one-shot, the Hitman issue that featured Superman in it - the one that was mostly a conversation - won an Eisner that year for best story as I recall.
    Yes, it did. And for a good reason. Enni's characterization of Superman is spot-on. A shame he will never write him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Yes, it did. And for a good reason. Enni's characterization of Superman is spot-on. A shame he will never write him again.
    Ennis is writing All Star Section Eight, which has already featured Batman and has Green Lantern in an upcoming issue. I bet Superman makes an appearance at some point (he was technically in issue 1 but had no lines or anything, just in a flashback.)

I was late to Hitman, picking up the trades last year when I had some extra cash. I read the first two and fell in love, quickly snatching up the rest. So thrilled DC collected the entire series and I can't shower enough superlatives on it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
    I just got the first 4 Fables deluxe edition (and the fifth is coming in the mail)... love it! Just wonderful edition. Yeah, maybe the binding is a little bit stiffy, but overall I really enjoy Vertigo deluxe editions. They look so damn well on the shelves.
    I agree, I have the 10 deluxes that are out so far (and the deluxe Encyclopedia) and they look amazing when they're all lined up on a shelf. When it's all over and done with, it's going to be a spectacular 15 or 16 book collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I always felt it was a good series and sometimes - sometimes - great, but for the most part I think it's a tad overrated (I don't think it was boring though). I also felt Ex Machina - the other BKV series at the time - was better.