View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 377 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2773273673733743753763773783793803813874274778771377 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,655 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    There are a few Absolutes that are OoP, off the top of my head the following are OoP, some pop up pretty regularly on eBay and usually sell for pretty reasonable prices if you've got the patience
    • Authority 1 & 2
    • Planetary 1& 2
    • Promethea 1 (2 and 3 still seem to be readily available)
    • League of Extraordinary Gentleman 1 & 2
    • New Frontier
    • Kingdom Come
    • Crisis on infinite earths
    • Top 10 (Only released last year went OoP pretty quickly and I've only seen a couple copies hit eBay since)

You also have the two "proto" absolutes (that were released before the absolute line was launched but are the same size and style) JLA/Avengers and Worlds Greatest Superheros (a collection of Alex Ross stories) both are OoP and quite rare to pop up on eBay.

My first absolute was The Long Halloween, about 2 years ago, I now have 23 Absolute editions and I don't regret purchasing a single one of them.
    I started my collection with the Absolutes, have all of them by now (46 books not counting Y the last man) and never regretted it. But it is costly, and there are even more books OOP: Danger Girl, Batman Hush, All-Star Superman, DKR and Watchmen as far as I know.
    Worlds Greatest Superheros has a slightly different format, so you can skip this one if you want.

Thanks for all the advice, I have caved and ordered all star superman, I fear it may not be my last, my divorce papers will cite CBR - collected editions as the reason, thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, I have caved and ordered all star superman, I fear it may not be my last, my divorce papers will cite CBR - collected editions as the reason, thanks a lot
    Glad I could help
    You will still have your Absolutes then, to get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    Glad I could help
    You will still have your Absolutes then, to get over it.
    Unless she takes half of them

Incredible Member

I started my collection with the Absolutes, have all of them by now (46 books not counting Y the last man) and never regretted it. But it is costly, and there are even more books OOP: Danger Girl, Batman Hush, All-Star Superman, DKR and Watchmen as far as I know.
    Worlds Greatest Superheros has a slightly different format, so you can skip this one if you want.
    I thought Watchmen was OoP but Amazon UK has it listed as in stock.

Amazon UK also has Hush, Dark Knight and All Star Superman all listed as in stock.

I'm considering starting an absolute collection, are they really worth getting? Or is it not really worth it because of the amount of double dipping I'd be doing? If I start down this road which ones are the hardest to get hold of and which ones are best avoided? Any advice would be appreciated
    If you don't have the Sandman Omnis and you love extras, definitely get the Sandman Absolutes. At IST, for $232 you can get the four absolutes that collect the main story, whereas the Omnis would cost you $174. But, with the absolutes you get more than 400 pages worth of extras, better binding, slipcases and better looking books (and that's saying a lot, because the Sandman Omnis are gorgeous).

Watchmen and Absolute Dark Knight are two other must buys for me. Also the Grant Morrison Batman Absolutes are pretty neat. And Blackest Night looks amazing, tough I'll probably sell it when I get the second GL by Johns Omni.

And I don't own Absolute Justice, but that book must be gorgeous. Some pictures by aleksivic would look amazing I bet.

Amazon UK also has Hush, Dark Knight and All Star Superman all listed as in stock.
    True, I was looking at the first printings, all those mentioned have second printings, which still are in stock.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Absolute Kingdom Come is a lovely book too, though I may part with it soon.

While it's very pretty, it's the wrong size and just looks wrong on the shelf.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

it might be worth a topic, but i wonder if I'm the only person in the world that found Y boring?
    I think the story was good but not an all time high. I also was a little disappointed with ending. And I'm really not a big fan of the art - it's a very simple style and emotions felt sometimes exagerated. I'm happy I have the hardcovers. Not so sure the Absolute treatment is deserved.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Absolute Kingdom Come is a lovely book too, though I may part with it soon.

While it's very pretty, it's the wrong size and just looks wrong on the shelf.
    What do you mean wrong size? All graphic novels should be in this size by default

Give me your Absolute Kingdom Come

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
    What do you mean wrong size? All graphic novels should be in this size by default

Unfortunately some of the images are a little bit grainy, thats my only gripe with the book.

I think the only absolute i couldn't get myself to buy is allstar batman and robin, for the fact that its not a complete story

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post

When next to all my omnibus volumes, its taller and thicker. Looks wrong.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

True, I was looking at the first printings, all those mentioned have second printings, which still are in stock.
    All except Absolute Dark Knight which is definitely OOP and is not going for cheap. The link in drd's post is for the German Pannini version, so don't be fooled.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

There's also the "absolute" JLA / Avengers. Usually goes for $100-$120 on eBay, but man is it awesome. Absolute sized Perez art is a sight to behold.

Incredible Member

As I said a couple of pages ago, I'm reading The New Frontier for the first time, and it's the deluxe. I'm really enjoying the story, and have no qualms with the binding or paper of the book. But damn, every few pages I see art that makes me think "This would probably be amazing in Absolute."

I've never got an Absolute before, but if I do, it will be my favourite comic ever, All-Star Superman.