View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 382 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2823323723783793803813823833843853863924324828821382 ... LastLast
Results 5,716 to 5,730 of 21671

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
    Can somebody tell me how is the paper in the Sandman Omnibus? Glossy, matte, Vertigo toilet paper?
    fairly thick and relatively glossy, usual DC omnibus quality, which I consider good. The sides of the papers are black so it fits more into the books overall design.

(not my pic)

Let's say like the Planetary Omnibus?
    I'm planning to upgrade from my 10 tpb box set to the omnibus and I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not.
    The omnibus looks so damn well on the shelves, they got that "antique" look that I like.
    The paper in the paperbacks is very glossy and I like it.
    Last edited by Fuller; 07-12-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Let's say like the Planetary Omnibus?
    I'm planning to upgrade from my 10 tpb box set to the omnibus and I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not.
    The omnibus looks so damn well on the shelves, they got that "antique" look that I like.
    The paper in the paperbacks is very glossy and I like it.
    Don't have any of the tpb-s so can't compare them but I would say the paperstock is identical to the Planetary omni's paper. But the binding (vol1's) is even better.
    Also, the omnis are oversized while the paperbacks are not, if that counts for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Don't have any of the tpb-s so can't compare them but I would say the paperstock is identical to the Planetary omni's paper. But the binding (vol1's) is even better.
    Also, the omnis are oversized while the paperbacks are not, if that counts for you.
    yeah sure I know that
    The paper on Planetary is not that glossy but not bad either.
    The paperstock on the tpbs is like Ex Machina, Preacher, 100 Bullets new editions.
    I think I'll do this step. Sandman is my favourite comic book series ever (along with 2- Watchmen (i got the italian absolute) and 3- Planetary (got the omnibus) and deserve the best edition.

yeah sure I know that
    The paperstock on the tpbs is like Ex Machina, Preacher, 100 Bullets new editions.
    I think I'll do this step. Sandman is my favourite comic book series ever (along with 2- Watchmen (i got the italian absolute) and 3- Planetary (got the omnibus) and deserve the best edition.
    well, the best edition is probably the absolute. Best paperstock, binding, slipcase etc. The omnis are very classy looking but nothing beats the absolutes (in terms of quality. in terms of pricing the omnis are a bit more friendly)

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    fairly thick and relatively glossy, usual DC omnibus quality, which I consider good. The sides of the papers are black so it fits more into the books overall design.

(not my pic)
    Great, now I want this even more than I did before. Thanks, man.
    Cyclops was right

yeah sure I know that
    Well, I said this a couple of weeks back and I stand by it:

If you don't have the Sandman Omnis and you love extras, definitely get the Sandman Absolutes. At IST, for $232 you can get the four absolutes that collect the main story, whereas the Omnis would cost you $174. But, with the absolutes you get more than 400 pages worth of extras, better binding, slipcases and better looking books (and that's saying a lot, because the Sandman Omnis are gorgeous).

BTW, right now there's a buy 2 get a 3rd one for free sale at Barnes and Noble, so getting the Absolutes could be even cheaper.

Right now I can't spend much money on books since I'm building my own house, but as soon as I can I'll be upgrading my Sandman Omnis into the Absolute Editions.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    Well, I said this a couple of weeks back and I stand by it:

If you don't have the Sandman Omnis and you love extras, definitely get the Sandman Absolutes. At IST, for $232 you can get the four absolutes that collect the main story, whereas the Omnis would cost you $174. But, with the absolutes you get more than 400 pages worth of extras, better binding, slipcases and better looking books (and that's saying a lot, because the Sandman Omnis are gorgeous).

BTW, right now there's a buy 2 get a 3rd one for free sale at Barnes and Noble, so getting the Absolutes could be even cheaper.

Right now I can't spend much money on books since I'm building my own house, but as soon as I can I'll be upgrading my Sandman Omnis into the Absolute Editions.
    The problem is... I'm from Italy Down here the absolute would cost me about 400 euros on amazon.it ... mad price... and are very difficult to find on the other websites. The omnis will cost me about 200 euros instead (less the money I will get by selling my box set). The extras are not a major issue to me. I can live without. And overall I think the omnis are probably more good looking than the absolutes.

Spectacular Member

The problem is... I'm from Italy Down here the absolute would cost me about 400 euros on amazon.it ... mad price... and are very difficult to find on the other websites. The omnis will cost me about 200 euros instead (less the money I will get by selling my box set). The extras are not a major issue to me. I can live without. And overall I think the omnis are probably more good looking than the absolutes.
    Check Amazon DE. I live in Belgium so I'm used to the whole 'which Amazon is the cheapest' thing. Just checked for Sandman and the whole Absolutes set would set you back around 270 (without shipping).

Thinking about this, I own the first omni only and when I look at the price for the second omni, I'm quite pissed off at myself for not going down the Absolutes road.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    Check Amazon DE. I live in Belgium so I'm used to the whole 'which Amazon is the cheapest' thing. Just checked for Sandman and the whole Absolutes set would set you back around 270 (without shipping).

Thinking about this, I own the first omni only and when I look at the price for the second omni, I'm quite pissed off at myself for not going down the Absolutes road.
    I've just checked amazon.de and the five absolute will cost about 370! And it's not just a matter of money, I really think the omnis are a lot better looking than the absolutes. And overall I prefer the "deluxe size" over the absolute size. In fact, I usually don't buy absolutes, just the Dark Horse Library Editions (on that kind of size)

Amazing Member

I have two of the Sandman Absolutes.. but even I'm tempted by those Omnibus editions.. I hear Vol 2's binding is a little tighter than Vol 1 though.

JSA Vol 3 has the best DC binding I've ever seen, though I could swear they've begun to very slightly make their paper stock thinner. Nowhere near the level of Marvel's bad examples of course but there are pages where you can see lines from the other side peeking through.

However it's never a real distraction and the whites remain solid and bright and the colours gorgeous. I totally recommend this book to anyone who wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRaid View Post
    I have two of the Sandman Absolutes.. but even I'm tempted by those Omnibus editions.. I hear Vol 2's binding is a little tighter than Vol 1 though.
    yeah vol2 is tighter. I was dissapointed by that, vol1 is so well built then v2 went back to the regular DC quality (and I paid more for that)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRaid View Post
    JSA Vol 3 has the best DC binding I've ever seen, though I could swear they've begun to very slightly make their paper stock thinner. Nowhere near the level of Marvel's bad examples of course but there are pages where you can see lines from the other side peeking through.
    To be fair, I'm just reading the first IDW Corto Maltese, which is completely black and white but has the thickest paperstock I've ever seen (maybe other than the Tintin treasury edition, which is just ridiculous) and I can still see through the pages.

I've just checked amazon.de and the five absolute will cost about 370! And it's not just a matter of money, I really think the omnis are a lot better looking than the absolutes. And overall I prefer the "deluxe size" over the absolute size. In fact, I usually don't buy absolutes, just the Dark Horse Library Editions (on that kind of size)
    Maybe there is a misunderstanding, because you write "five absolutes": The original series is covered by 4 Absolutes. The fifth mainly contains Endless Nights and The Dream Hunters (in 2 versions), which is not part of the Omnibus books. So if you want these stories, this would be an additional argument for the Absolutes. There is also an Absolute edition from Death to accompany the Sandman books (there is an Deluxe edition of Death and also of Endless Nights, but they are in a totally different style as the Sandman Omnibuses).

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    Maybe there is a misunderstanding, because you write "five absolutes": The original series is covered by 4 Absolutes. The fifth mainly contains Endless Nights and The Dream Hunters (in 2 versions), which is not part of the Omnibus books. So if you want these stories, this would be an additional argument for the Absolutes. There is also an Absolute edition from Death to accompany the Sandman books (there is an Deluxe edition of Death and also of Endless Nights, but they are in a totally different style as the Sandman Omnibuses).
    to be fair there is really nothing else to put next to the Sandman omnis to match their style.
    Also, there are Sandman character cameos in Gaiman's Books of magic which also has a deluxe edition and I would absolutely recommend (it's a bit proto Harry Potter in Gaiman style + there is John Constantine)

Remember that the equivalent of the 2 Omnis are the first 4 Absolutes. The fifth one collects Endless Nights, both versions of Dream Hunters and the first 3 issues of Sandman Mystery Theater.

And you get over 400 pages of extras with the first 4 Absolute editions. In my opinion, the overall design of the Absolutes is better than the Omnis. I'm talking about the spine, binding, paper stock, the preliminary pages of the books and that gorgeous rice paper that the Absolutes have at the beginning of each book.