View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 385 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2853353753813823833843853863873883893954354858851385 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,775 of 21672
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Here's my omni haul that just arrived. Man, the JSA's are huge!

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Here's my omni haul that just arrived. Man, the JSA's are huge!

Thanks for the input, I've got some other stuff to get through first but I'm now tempted to bypass that all and read at least the first few issues or so! and jesus christ they're huge! I haven't got a chance in hell of fitting them on my shelves. At least I've got a few days until they're delivered for me to try and clear some space.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I am curious as well. I think it would be tough to top the Femme Fatales and Best of Spririt trades from awhile back.
    I'll third this request. I've been thinking of ordering it but hoping it's a decent selection of prime Eisner and not just the same stuff in the best of the Spririt.

Can anyone recommend the Kevin Smith GA run? Looking at adding the absolute to my want list

BANNED

Yeah I can recommend it.

+ Phil Hester has a cool cartoony art style that gives it a good look
    + Green Arrow insults Batman's Robins as Hitler's Youth Camp, there's alot of great insults and political rants that Green Arrow does
    + It introduces Speedy, the blond girl noone cares about in 2015! :b
    + It has alot of old continuity stuff like hook hand Aquaman and Black Manta being a hybrid monster and stuff that makes it intriguing to learn DC was going with these ideas back in the day.
    + Green Arrow talks with Aquaman, Superman, Wally Flash, Batman, etc.

It's like 12-16 issue long story but to me it's just 1 massive big story, then it introduces Onomatopoeia and then the book ends. It's such a short book, but I was entertained by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Yeah I can recommend it.

+ Phil Hester has a cool cartoony art style that gives it a good look
    + Green Arrow insults Batman's Robins as Hitler's Youth Camp, there's alot of great insults and political rants that Green Arrow does
    + It introduces Speedy, the blond girl noone cares about in 2015! :b
    + It has alot of old continuity stuff like hook hand Aquaman and Black Manta being a hybrid monster and stuff that makes it intriguing to learn DC was going with these ideas back in the day.
    + Green Arrow talks with Aquaman, Superman, Wally Flash, Batman, etc.

It's like 12-16 issue long story but to me it's just 1 massive big story, then it introduces Onomatopoeia and then the book ends. It's such a short book, but I was entertained by it.
    A most excellent recommendation DRZ, thanks a lot

Amazing Member

If DC can produce 3 omnibuses (JSA) of a not very popular comic, why can't they produce even one omnibus of their most popular character, Batman? Do they really dislike their customers that much? Since Marvel has been producing omnibuses of their most popular characters for years, I thought DC would at least try to match that. But they seem determined to be as unhelpful as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tanim View Post
    If DC can produce 3 omnibuses (JSA) of a not very popular comic, why can't they produce even one omnibus of their most popular character, Batman? Do they really dislike their customers that much? Since Marvel has been producing omnibuses of their most popular characters for years, I thought DC would at least try to match that. But they seem determined to be as unhelpful as possible.
    JSA was fairly popular when it was coming out monthly, and I believe some people might hold those characters in higher regard. And besides the point, it was mostly written by Geoff Johns, one of the most important people to work at DC in the last decade-plus.

Patience is key, A few years ago, DC's omnibus program was absolutely pitiful. Within the next year, we're going to be getting two Batman omnibuses, and that's only what's been announced so far.

I'm still waiting for the announcement of a Batman by Morrison omnibus, so I can replace the abominable mix of formats I've purchased the run in.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Here are the details of the upcoming Batman Omnibuses CP1234 mentioned:

BATMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS HC
    Written by BILL FINGER, GARDNER FOX and others
    Art by BOB KANE, JERRY ROBINSON and others
    Cover by DARWYN COOKE
    On sale NOVEMBER 4 • 784 pg, FC, $75.00 US
    The stories that catapulted Batman to legendary status are collected here in a single, massive volume. These original stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #27-56 and BATMAN #1-7 include the origin of the Dark Knight, as well as the debuts of Robin, Commissioner Gordon, Professor Hugo Strange, The Joker, Catwoman and more!

BATMAN ILLUSTRATED BY NEAL ADAMS OMNIBUS HC
    Written by BOB HANEY, DENNIS O’NEIL, NEAL ADAMS and others
    Art by NEAL ADAMS, DICK GIORDANO and others
    Cover by NEAL ADAMS
    On sale DECEMBER 2 • 640 pg, FC, $75.00 US
    At last, Neal Adams’ entire run on Batman is collected in one massive volume, with stories from the pages of BATMAN, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, DETECTIVE COMICS, WORLD’S FINEST, BATMAN: ODYSSEY, BATMAN: BLACK AND WHITE, and more, along with innumerable covers!

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Oh how I wish we would have gotten an O'Neil Batman omni featuring the art of Neal Adams rather than a Batman illustrated by Neal Adams omni.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Oh how I wish we would have gotten an O'Neil Batman omni featuring the art of Neal Adams rather than a Batman illustrated by Neal Adams omni.
    We're getting closer and closer to the release of this book and that 640 page count has yet to increase on any official descriptions of the book? Should we worry that this won't cover the contents of the four books it collects comprehensively?

Agreed - I wish DC would do art books like the Graphic Ink series to highlight artists, but leave omnibuses and such to be story-centric (which generally equates to being writer-centric), so you don't end up missing sections of a story that make the contents difficult to read. The JSA omnis did a great job of this by including even the Levitz issues, but then something like the Moench/Jones HC left out a couple parts that Moench wrote because Jones didn't draw them, which is frustrating.

Plus if this was more O'Neil focused I could purchase this omnibus and still continue to not have Odyssey in my collection. And my Batman collection is much better off for not having that one

The problem is, that Batman is TOO popular for Omnibuses.
    E.g. the whole Morrison run would be perfect for 2 big Omnis, but what we get instead is some Absolutes for the most popular parts, a series of Deluxes for all the rest, and I guess we will see some "noir" or "unwrapped" books also in the near future. If we are lucky we will then in some years get the Omnis on top of that.
    Another example would be Long Helloween/Dark Victory/Haunted Knight: Of course it would have been possible to make an Omnibus but they can earn more money with 3 Absolutes.
    So, what I possibly would expect in the near future are some Batman Omnis for older runs, which are not popular enough for Absolute/Deluxe editions.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

What about the "Legends of..." And "Tales of.." series? I have two Jim Aparos and a couple of the other books. Don't those count as a kind of omnibus?

This 1000 times. I wish we were just getting comprehensive Batman/Detective omnis starting with Dennis O'Neil's first issue. We could get thorough reprints of that whole era. They could do three(?) of them. They could essentially be colored versions of the showcase presents. Some issues would be weaker than others but we could avoid Batman Odyssey and have some good pre-Crisis Batman action.