View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 42 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652921425421042 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teecee View Post
    Just ordered absolute top 10 from speedyhen on amazon marketplace. Shipping to belgium doesn't seem to be a problem.
    Thanks for the tip josh!
    Can you send me a link? I'm trying to find it, but it doesn't appear and according to speedyhen, they have stock left.

JSA Vol. 1 arrived from Amazon.com this week, as usual packed with no protection at all. Luckily, it wasn't damaged at all, so I was quite happy - until I unwrapped and opened it:

That's the worst binding I've ever seen. Great quality control, DC. Wonder how many pages I'll be able to read until the book falls apart.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    JSA Vol. 1 arrived from Amazon.com this week, as usual packed with no protection at all. Luckily, it wasn't damaged at all, so I was quite happy - until I unwrapped and opened it:

That's the worst binding I've ever seen. Great quality control, DC. Wonder how many pages I'll be able to read until the book falls apart.
    That's awful, I assume you're going to get a replacement? I'm worried about the binding on my copy too. I've read the first few issues and it looks like the binding is starting to come away.

No matter how much I love their characters, I'm a little sceptical of DC. My Superman Golden Age arrived without being sealed, and there was a leeetle annoying scratch on the dust jacket. Aren't all omnibuses supossed to come wrapped? I thought DC may be shipping returned books to other countries (even though I'm paying for a brand new one). I try not to be too much of a perfectionist about these things, but I can't return big items like omnibuses, so if I do get something as bad as the above one day, I'll either have to start getting them from another source (which'll add to the cost), get them when I'm overseas, or not have them at all...
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Retail price of a couple of DC Omnibus in an LCS in NZ, so sad... $330NZ is $280US.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Retail price of a couple of DC Omnibus in an LCS in NZ, so sad... $330NZ is $280US.

Damn, and I thought I had it bad with the retail price being the exact same price but in euros (a $100 book is €100). That is just awful
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post

Why do they even bother? Who wouldn't order online? Is there a significant Luddite community in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    Why do they even bother? Who wouldn't order online? Is there a significant Luddite community in the area?
    Previously they had a Marvel Xmen Omnibus in there for $275 a year or so back, it's gone so someone must have purchased it. I think they're still holding on to the old exchange rate pricing which pre-GFC was around .50-.55NZ to $1US. So a $100US Omnibus would easily be over $200NZ retail which would have been fairly reasonable.

They really haven't changed with the times, still have a bunch of older stock which hasn't moved since I was last there.

Shops need to pay for retail space, so they're usually much pricier.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Geez! That is awful. I usually wait to open the shrinkwrap until I am about to read something, but I think I will open mine now to see if it is as awful as yours in case I need to return it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bugrom View Post
    Geez! That is awful. I usually wait to open the shrinkwrap until I am about to read something, but I think I will open mine now to see if it is as awful as yours in case I need to return it.
    I've been reading mine for the last week or so and it's still perfectly fine. (tight as hell and a mousetrap compared to the Marvel books I'm used to, but fine otherwise)

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Man, that's rough. You should be ok in getting your money back or a replacement, although that's always a slight hassle.

When I read your post, I immediately unpacked mine from the shrinkwrap and checked it out (also from amazon.com). It seems fine. I don't know how it will be once I start reading it, though.

I finally got the Absolute Top 10 (thanks josh!) instead of the Planetary Omnibus. The offer was too good to resist.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Those of you who have Miller's Ronin, I would be grateful for some brief thoughts and also is there any mature content? I was pretty impressed by the Absolute pics posted earlier by momaw I believe. Since the Speedyhen prices are pretty good, what would you recommend Absolute or Deluxe and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Those of you who have Miller's Ronin, I would be grateful for some brief thoughts and also is there any mature content? I was pretty impressed by the Absolute pics posted earlier by momaw I believe. Since the Speedyhen prices are pretty good, what would you recommend Absolute or Deluxe and why?
    Since Miller is the artist, the answer is easy: go for the format that has the biggest size. As for the comic, I can't say anything because I have yet to read it, too.