View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 445 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 345395435441442443444445446447448449455495545945 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,675 of 21672
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Does anyone know if the Authority HC's are oversized? (not the absolute editions)
    Don't believe so.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Don't believe so.
    Thanks! The first one is really pricey so I guess I'll settle for the trade since they aren't oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Does anyone know if the Authority HC's are oversized? (not the absolute editions)
    They aren't.

And TomSlick, what you're saying is basically the reason why I don't buy Omnis of really old stories unless I had read them in my childhood or I really love the characters involved.

To me, reading Simonson's Thor was really hard. The story was really good and epic, but man, how I hate the captions that narrate the picture. I never understood why that was so popular in American comics.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    They aren't.

And TomSlick, what you're saying is basically the reason why I don't buy Omnis of really old stories unless I had read them in my childhood or I really love the characters involved.

To me, reading Simonson's Thor was really hard. The story was really good and epic, but man, how I hate the captions that narrate the picture. I never understood why that was so popular in American comics.
    Ha ha, I actually did read some of these when I was younger, but waaaay young, I suppose. I never completed them. Generally, I stick with your plan, although I will make a blind buy if I like the author.

The narrative caption when done right (i.e. Alan Moore, Swamp Thing) can be really cool. But for the most part it isn't needed. Thankfully comics have moved away from it during the past decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Ha ha, I actually did read some of these when I was younger, but waaaay young, I suppose. I never completed them. Generally, I stick with your plan, although I will make a blind buy if I like the author.

Quick question related to Omni purchases. How much of a factor is nostalgia when buying "classic" omnibus books? I like classic stories from my childhood as well and admittedly have bias for certain titles (Miller's DD, Claremont X-Men) but whenever I read someone criticize something from the BA or SA, inevitably looks to me like a lack of historical context.

TomSlick brings up Azzarello's recent run on WW in comparison to Pérez but in my mind there's no valid comparison because Azz' Greek mythos based approach to the character was admittedly indebted to the post-Crisis OIE era WW that Pérez was responsible for back in the 80s. Pérez had to build up the character from scratch essentially and came thru with flying colors, imo.

If most everyone's purchases are based on nostalgia alone, there's no need to ever buy a modern comicbook. I prefer to think I make more objective qualitative decisions as a reader of both moderns & classics. I guess I'm wary of negative reviews when they take the book/story in question out of its historical context & significance.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    Quick question related to Omni purchases. How much of a factor is nostalgia when buying "classic" omnibus books? I like classic stories from my childhood as well and admittedly have bias for certain titles (Miller's DD, Claremont X-Men) but whenever I read someone criticize something from the BA or SA, inevitably looks to me like a lack of historical context.

TomSlick brings up Azzarello's recent run on WW in comparison to Pérez but in my mind there's no valid comparison because Azz' Greek mythos based approach to the character was admittedly indebted to the post-Crisis OIE era WW that Pérez was responsible for back in the 80s. Pérez had to build up the character from scratch essentially and came thru with flying colors, imo.

If most everyone's purchases are based on nostalgia alone, there's no need to ever buy a modern comicbook. I prefer to think I make more objective qualitative decisions as a reader of both moderns & classics. I guess I'm wary of negative reviews when they take the book/story in question out of its historical context & significance.
    Historical significance means very little to me, maybe that's simply a sign of my ignorance, but my sole motivation when buying these books is to read a good story and I don't necessarily think that a story being considered a classic makes it any good. That being said I absolutely understand collectors who want to have the major histories of characters that they love collected on their shelves and who have particular fondness for the stories of their youth, but I just want a good read.

I don't think it's the readers fault if they don't have historical context. Especially when you say Perez had to build it up from scratch, that should mean I need no context to appreciate the story.
    Lot of books work without context even though they are 30 or more years old. Recently read Squadron Supreme and the only context I had was that it precedes Watchmen (so I didn't even compared to it).
    To be fair, I've never read Perez's WW, I'm just talking in general.

Sometimes it's a factor, sometimes it's not. If I remember it fondly, or I want to read the rest (as in the case of WW) I will purchase it. Maybe.

Azz had to do the exact same thing with New 52. Plus, I think he faced more pressure because the WW from the 1980s up was probably far more successful and readable than the pre-Crisis WW.

No one said their purchases are based on nostalgia alone. That's an assumption on your part. I think most of us do prefer a mix of modern and classic - and there's some who even like the 90s. Ha.

Also, historical context means very little to me. Good writing is good writing. Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Watchmen, etc. all stand the test of time. Perez' s WW in my opinion (writing-wise) does not.

Swamp Thing (Snyder) Deluxe Edition, Sweet Tooth Deluxe 1 and 2, Green Arrow (Lemire) Deluxe,...

anyone knows if there's a Animal Man By Lemire Deluxe? (or even a Justice League Dark with all the volumes + costantine by Lemire) on the way?
    Last edited by ricardoramos; 09-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Swamp Thing (Snyder) Deluxe Edition, Sweet Tooth Deluxe 1 and 2, Green Arrow (Lemire) Deluxe,...

anyone knows if there's a Animal Man By Lemire Deluxe? (or even a Justice League Dark with all the volumes + costantine by Lemire) on the way?
    None have been announced, but they'd certainly be welcomed, at least by me.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

I'm jonesing for some Pete Tomasi OHC goodness. I don't think anything of his has got any (except his tie-ins in Absolute SCW and GL omni). Seems to me Tomasi is really the unsung hero of DC's writer lineup - shame there's not nicer collections of his stuff.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I'm jonesing for some Pete Tomasi OHC goodness. I don't think anything of his has got any (except his tie-ins in Absolute SCW and GL omni). Seems to me Tomasi is really the unsung hero of DC's writer lineup - shame there's not nicer collections of his stuff.
    Agreed. I haven't read much of his stuff, but what I have has been great.
    Cyclops was right

Agreed. His Batman and Robin was the best new 52 Batman title and by the end of the first year was about the only Bat title I was reading.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Agreed. His Batman and Robin was the best new 52 Batman title and by the end of the first year was about the only Bat title I was reading.
    Amen, brother!

A Green Lantern Corps Omnibus by Tomasi could be really awesome! His run was even better than Geoff's at some points. They could also throw in there his Emerald Warriors run and make it huge omnibus like Invisibles and Teen Titans. Aaaaand, it could be a companion omnibus to Johns so that there wouldn't be any need to include the tie-ins to War of the Green Lanterns or Sinestro Corps War that take a lot of space.

The book could contain:
    - Green Lantern Corps Vol. 2 #19, #20, #23-47
    - Emerald Warriors #1-#7 and #11-13
    - Green Lantern Corps Vol. 3 #0-20

For a total of 58 issues... That would be huge, but we've had them even fatter.

And they could even use the same spine design from the Johns Omnis, so that we have on our shelves 4 books with the some boring design.