View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 455 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 355405445451452453454455456457458459465505555955 ... LastLast
Results 6,811 to 6,825 of 21672

I love Absolutes but they've lost some of their luster. They were originally - or at least it appeared that way - set aside for truly special stories. Dark Knight, Watchmen, Crisis, Kingdom Come, etc.

Now they'll put anything in the form. Snyder's Batman, Smith's Green Arrow, Transmetropolitan (and yes I love this series and bought the Absolute, but it would have been better served in deluxe), etc

Don't get me wrong, I get DC's reasoning.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I love Absolutes but they've lost some of their luster. They were originally - or at least it appeared that way - set aside for truly special stories. Dark Knight, Watchmen, Crisis, Kingdom Come, etc.

Now they'll put anything in the form. Snyder's Batman, Smith's Green Arrow, Transmetropolitan (and yes I love this series and bought the Absolute, but it would have been better served in deluxe), etc

Don't get me wrong, I get DC's reasoning.
    I agree.

I also prefer my Absolutes to be relatively self-contained; I don't like having to pick up 4-6 $100-125 volumes to complete the set (Sandman being the exception I guess).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I agree.

I also prefer my Absolutes to be relatively self-contained; I don't like having to pick up 4-6 $100-125 volumes to complete the set (Sandman being the exception I guess).
    Exactly, I always felt Sandman should be the one longer series that gets a pass.

Incredible Member

Still no word on the Johns Aquaman deluxe, I see. Taking a long ass time.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Still no word on the Johns Aquaman deluxe, I see. Taking a long ass time.
    Im worried its not going to happen. Ive been passing on the hcs waiting for it. Can someone post the solicitation?

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Im worried its not going to happen. Ive been passing on the hcs waiting for it. Can someone post the solicitation?
    The John's Aquaman Deluxe isn't out until next July so any updates now would be unlikely.https://bnccatalist.ca/ViewTitle.aspx?id=2709235 Amazon just got into the end of July 2016 pre-orders the past few days, so maybe they'll have it up soon.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Initially, I found the Absolutes way too expensive. However, I finally succumbed a couple of years ago and bought Long Halloween (a masterpiece) and All Star Superman (pretty good story but great presentation in this format, I'm not really a Morrison fan). I then followed up with DC New Frontier (my favourite DC "mini-series", beautiful art and colours), Crisis on Infinite Earths (a classic) and Dark Knight (outstanding DKR, haven't yet read DKSA but dislike the art). I then, for reasons unknown started to become indifferent to the Absolute format (probably due to the fact that I came to the realisation that my favourite format was the Omnibus/OHC one). My last and sixth Absolute was Batman Dark Victory which I purchased in the last Black Friday sale.

To be honest, I'm happy with the six I have and I'm only interested in purchasing the OOP JLA/Avengers team-up and the upcoming Green Lantern/Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I agree.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. This is the reason I won't be picking up the Y:TLM or Transmet absolutes, I'd much rather buy the deluxe editions for the former or omnibus wait for the latter. I really don't appreciate the low page count/dollar for the more recent absolutes, especially when you compare them side to side w/ Dark Horse Library editions. I do appreciate how DC has adopted this pattern of putting out a deluxe within a year or two of the absolute going OOP, if only they were better built.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Initially, I found the Absolutes way too expensive. However, I finally succumbed a couple of years ago and bought Long Halloween (a masterpiece) and All Star Superman (pretty good story but great presentation in this format, I'm not really a Morrison fan). I then followed up with DC New Frontier (my favourite DC "mini-series", beautiful art and colours), Crisis on Infinite Earths (a classic) and Dark Knight (outstanding DKR, haven't yet read DKSA but dislike the art). I then, for reasons unknown started to become indifferent to the Absolute format (probably due to the fact that I came to the realisation that my favourite format was the Omnibus/OHC one). My last and sixth Absolute was Batman Dark Victory which I purchased in the last Black Friday sale.

To be honest, I'm happy with the six I have and I'm only interested in purchasing the OOP JLA/Avengers team-up and the upcoming Green Lantern/Green Arrow.
    I do regret not picking up several classic stories before they went OOP. TDKR, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Kingdom Come, and Top Ten(I knew nothing about this and never read anything Moore aside from Watchmen but ugh, still beating myself over not pulling the trigger on this, especially for that page count) come to mind.
    Last edited by Thesanmich; 10-05-2015 at 09:48 AM.

400 pages for the GA Absolute isn't too bad for me to consider. Not great, but okay. I might just go for it to have one and if I regret it I'll chalk it up to experience.

I would go for a Batman Absolute but I already own everything in paperback all lined up on a shelf, I wouldn't want to get one and risk falling in love and wanting all of them.

BANNED

So was Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing Deluxe edition ruined by the binding or ? (:

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    I do regret not picking up several classic stories before they went OOP. TDKR, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Kingdom Come, and Top Ten(I knew nothing about this and never read anything Moore aside from Watchmen but ugh, still beating myself over not pulling the trigger on this, especially for that page count) come to mind.
    CoIE is at least coming out in deluxe, can't wait to finally read it, although I was really tempted to invest in the absolute but at the ned I just couldn't justify the 80-90 pounds.
    Top 10 is sooooo good, you should read it )and the 49ers prequel as well). It's nothing like watchmen but really, really good stuff. Also read LoEG, as much as I love Top 10 LoEG is even better IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    CoIE is at least coming out in deluxe, can't wait to finally read it, although I was really tempted to invest in the absolute but at the ned I just couldn't justify the 80-90 pounds.
    Top 10 is sooooo good, you should read it )and the 49ers prequel as well). It's nothing like watchmen but really, really good stuff. Also read LoEG, as much as I love Top 10 LoEG is even better IMHO.
    It would've been nice to experience that Perez greatness in absolute-size, but oversized is serviceable I guess. I'm hoping DC does the same for Top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    It would've been nice to experience that Perez greatness in absolute-size, but oversized is serviceable I guess. I'm hoping DC does the same for Top 10.
    weirdly, they just released a chunky tpb which excludes The 49ers (AFAIK, I don't have this new edition). Maybe the absolute wasn't a good seller to warrant a deluxe? That would be a crying shame.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    So was Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing Deluxe edition ruined by the binding or ? (:
    No it wasn't. There still some room for improvement but this isn't your standard dire glued binding job that DC has put out in the past.

BANNED

Excellent! I'll order it for Halloween. :b