View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 46 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056961465461046 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedNave View Post
    So Bruce Wayne Murderer, is the new new edition finally out with the errors corrected?
    Yeah, bought it a few days ago. Annoyingly, the books have the same ISBN, so you may need to see a physical copy in order to get the right one. The corrected edition lists an unbroken run of Batman issues on the back, the original edition has these split into two chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Valentino View Post
    Yeah, bought it a few days ago. Annoyingly, the books have the same ISBN, so you may need to see a physical copy in order to get the right one. The corrected edition lists an unbroken run of Batman issues on the back, the original edition has these split into two chunks.
    bookdepository only sells the new edition.

Speakin' of which. Could anybod recommend a similar "bang for my buck" collection? Not necessarily Batman, but something modern (I always want to buy the Great darkness saga tpb but I'm currently reading some Essentials and after those I would prefer something modern).
    Preferably something standalone, like Batgirl/Robin Year one (oh I loved that book) but could be Vertigo too (I've read the Brubaker Catwoman, also I'm planning to buy Preacher later, when I can afford the whole series at once, I don't like to wait for the next volume).
    Last edited by Balakin; 06-04-2014 at 05:42 AM.

The world needs bad men RedNave's Avatar

Ah grand, thanks!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Big 65% off DC sale at IST. Includes some Absolutes. Not sure how long it'll last.

http://www.instocktrades.com/specials/34/DC+Specials

Edited. Meant to say Absolutes. No omnibuses are included.
    Wow, that's great, thanks! Ordered all Unwritten tpbs, five hardcovers (and Final Incal deluxe). Nice sale

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    bookdepository only sells the new edition.

Speakin' of which. Could anybod recommend a similar "bang for my buck" collection? Not necessarily Batman, but something modern (I always want to buy the Great darkness saga tpb but I'm currently reading some Essentials and after those I would prefer something modern).
    Preferably something standalone, like Batgirl/Robin Year one (oh I loved that book) but could be Vertigo too (I've read the Brubaker Catwoman, also I'm planning to buy Preacher later, when I can afford the whole series at once, I don't like to wait for the next volume).
    Well, you could try King city (12 issues, $20), not Dc but very awesome. Also, it's not that modern but try the Ostrander Spectre ttades, same content and price as King city. Also, you can't go wrong with the Image compendiums (compendia?) And Lone Wolf and Cub omnibi(also not Dc but the best bang for your buck books)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Well, you could try King city (12 issues, $20), not Dc but very awesome. Also, it's not that modern but try the Ostrander Spectre ttades, same content and price as King city. Also, you can't go wrong with the Image compendiums (compendia?) And Lone Wolf and Cub omnibi(also not Dc but the best bang for your buck books)
    Thanks for the recommendations, King city looks promising, I like the art style and the story based on the description is the kind of crazy stuff I tend to like.
    I was never really interesdted in the Spectre and I can't remember if I ever read anything from Ostrander, but it could worth a try. When I say "modern", I mean not like Larry Lieber Web of Spider-man level.
    edit: just checked, this Spectre series is from the 90's, that should be modern enough
    Last edited by Balakin; 06-04-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks for the recommendations, King city looks promising, I like the art style and the story based on the description is the kind of crazy stuff I tend to like.
    I was never really interesdted in the Spectre and I can't remember if I ever read anything from Ostrander, but it could worth a try. When I say "modern", I mean not like Larry Lieber Web of Spider-man level.
    edit: just checked, this Spectre series is from the 90's, that should be modern enough
    Ostrander is known for making franchises or characters you don't care about into your new faves. In my opinion he's one of the best 80's/90's writers and definitely the most underrated one (Ostrander is also known for his long runs on Firestorm, Hawkworld, Heroes for hire and Suicide squad (which he helped create)). Spectre is amazing, and the trade is relatively very cheap.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Ostrander is known for making franchises or characters you don't care about into your new faves. In my opinion he's one of the best 80's/90's writers and definitely the most underrated one (Ostrander is also known for his long runs on Firestorm, Hawkworld, Heroes for hire and Suicide squad (which he helped create)). Spectre is amazing, and the trade is relatively very cheap.
    Sounds good. I knew about Suicide squad, and if I'm not mistaken he wrote a Deadshot issue in Simone's Secret Six run.
    Not to derail the thread, but what's the deal with Scott Mcclouds Zot!? Over 500 pages, b&w but that doesn't bother me and I see good reviews about it everywhere.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Sounds good. I knew about Suicide squad, and if I'm not mistaken he wrote a Deadshot issue in Simone's Secret Six run.
    You are not mistaken.

He also wrote the Deadshot: Beginnings mini series that was released in trade last year; it's a nice companion piece to the original Suicide Squad run.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I was thinking of doing the same. Do you think that promethea immateria will eventually come out?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Crikey, ease up. I enjoyed Identity Crisis, and eagerly bought the Absolute. I must admit the fan backlash on it is pretty heated, but to me it just read like a regular murder mystery that included superheroes which made it more interesting. I love the investigation stuff, and the funeral/after affects. The art is also nearly as pretty as For Tomorrow. Which I also own.

Out of both I would take Identity Crisis.
    Ease up my opinion?

I've only ever followed collected editions forums so I thought I was one of the few that hated. Kind a nice to know there was more backlash. I don't care that it was dark I care that it seemed like a story that was trying desperately to be a dark super hero story with hopes of being like Watchmen. I also found the murder mystery itself laaaaazy. The reveal was in the vein of a dues ex machina. I did however, love the parts with Deathstroke. It's my only exposure to him and it was pretty awesome.

But overall, it just reeked of someone trying way too hard to force a dark story because the comic industry as a whole tends to like to validate itself by being serious and dark. It just seemed inorganic and contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Ease up my opinion?

I've only ever followed collected editions forums so I thought I was one of the few that hated. Kind a nice to know there was more backlash. I don't care that it was dark I care that it seemed like a story that was trying desperately to be a dark super hero story with hopes of being like Watchmen. I also found the murder mystery itself laaaaazy. The reveal was in the vein of a dues ex machina. I did however, love the parts with Deathstroke. It's my only exposure to him and it was pretty awesome.

But overall, it just reeked of someone trying way too hard to force a dark story because the comic industry as a whole tends to like to validate itself by being serious and dark. It just seemed inorganic and contrived.
    My main problem with it, that it's boring. First time when I've read it I thought it's was interesting but the core mystery is not so strong, but the second time I couldn't even finish it. Same with Meltzer's other superhero books, they are just dull (and I've read Lightning saga 3times, and each time it was more and more boring).

Thanks for all the opinions, guys! I think for the current price drop, it's worth it for me to try. Seems I can't lose if I decide to unload it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Ease up my opinion?

Deathstroke is one of the most awesome characters in Dc in my opinion. Try stories like Judas contract, Titans hunt, Trial of the Terminator and his own book from the 90's. He's awesome

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Thanks for all the opinions, guys! I think for the current price drop, it's worth it for me to try. Seems I can't lose if I decide to unload it later.
    I enjoyed Identity Crisis. I'd stay away from the Superman one, though.