View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 47 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157971475471047 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

My cheap books from Speedy Hen arrived today

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    I was thinking of doing the same. Do you think that promethea immateria will eventually come out?
    I asked J.H. Williams III a couple of months ago on Twitter and the answer was "may still happen but not not anytime soon". So there's still hope. Quite obviously, Promethea will have another HC release for the story is such a classic. The question is just if they will reprint the Absolutes or give it another try for a different format. As the planning for Immateria was quite advanced at the time (I saw some pics with the extra-size fold-out page which looked like it was something like 8 feet long), I would still bet on it to happen.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    I asked J.H. Williams III a couple of months ago on Twitter and the answer was "may still happen but not not anytime soon". So there's still hope. Quite obviously, Promethea will have another HC release for the story is such a classic. The question is just if they will reprint the Absolutes or give it another try for a different format. As the planning for Immateria was quite advanced at the time (I saw some pics with the extra-size fold-out page which looked like it was something like 8 feet long), I would still bet on it to happen.
    I agree. I still am holding on to the hope that it'll be released eventually. Still, with IST's sale and Absolute Promethea vol 2 & 3 being $33.00 each, I figured I would at least have some of the story in OSHC. Now I hope to either catch the first volume with a good price, or just sell these two when the immateria comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Ease up my opinion?

I've only ever followed collected editions forums so I thought I was one of the few that hated. Kind a nice to know there was more backlash. I don't care that it was dark I care that it seemed like a story that was trying desperately to be a dark super hero story with hopes of being like Watchmen. I also found the murder mystery itself laaaaazy. The reveal was in the vein of a dues ex machina. I did however, love the parts with Deathstroke. It's my only exposure to him and it was pretty awesome.

But overall, it just reeked of someone trying way too hard to force a dark story because the comic industry as a whole tends to like to validate itself by being serious and dark. It just seemed inorganic and contrived.
    Just got be careful with saying disparaging words about the book vs about the writer, nuCBR rules. Having read Meltzer before I thought it was a much more simplified plot similiar in style to his previous regular book work. I read a lot of books, thrillers, detective stories etc so it didn't seem that far out there. It's of course quite different to what has been presented in comics, which I think made it so polarizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_ View Post
    My cheap books from Speedy Hen arrived today

image.jpg

Nice haul, hope they get their shipping sorted as would love to have somewhere to order cheaply again now that amazon has dropped their free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Just got be careful with saying disparaging words about the book vs about the writer, nuCBR rules. Having read Meltzer before I thought it was a much more simplified plot similiar in style to his previous regular book work. I read a lot of books, thrillers, detective stories etc so it didn't seem that far out there. It's of course quite different to what has been presented in comics, which I think made it so polarizing.
    Well, I would guess that there are a fair number of the detractors that also read thrillers and detective stories and are familiar with the style of narrative. I know I have and that only helped highlight how weak and eye-rolling the mystery was. I'll be more careful with my comments. Guess I should check out the new CBR rules, I didn't realize we couldn't criticize authors.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Deathstroke is one of the most awesome characters in Dc in my opinion. Try stories like Judas contract, Titans hunt, Trial of the Terminator and his own book from the 90's. He's awesome
    I would love to check out more Deathstroke but don't follow DC as much so I've never really found anything. Aside from NNT vol 2, is there any hardcovers that have some good Deathstroke stories?

Incredible Member

Latest haul. I can't remember if I posted some of these already but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Big 65% off DC sale at IST. Includes some Absolutes. Not sure how long it'll last.

http://www.instocktrades.com/specials/34/DC+Specials

Edited. Meant to say Absolutes. No omnibuses are included.
    Huh, I wonder why it's only A-H

also there is one omnibus

Incredible Member

Inside Living Hell:

Incredible Member

Some extra sketches

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Latest haul. I can't remember if I posted some of these already but whatever.

Got my Fear Agent last week, but it was a bit dinged up so getting my replacement tomorrow (hopefully). Btw, is that greenish or pure black?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Got my Fear Agent last week, but it was a bit dinged up so getting my replacement tomorrow (hopefully). Btw, is that greenish or pure black?
    Mine has a couple scuffs on the corners so it showed some white underneath but it's not a big deal. And it's black. I just have shitty lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Mine has a couple scuffs on the corners so it showed some white underneath but it's not a big deal. And it's black. I just have shitty lighting.
    I normally have a wide latitude on condition, but this one was pretty bad.

Oh okay, I keep seeing pics that are greenish in tint and wondered if those were the newer printings or just lighting when the pic was taken.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but what's the deal with Scott Mcclouds Zot!? Over 500 pages, b&w but that doesn't bother me and I see good reviews about it everywhere.
    It's fantastic. I hesitate to hype it up too much because, I mean, it's not Watchmen... it's just damn good comics. Exciting, clean art, relatable characters. No grim and grittiness to be seen -- Zot may have a claim to being the genuinely nicest hero this side of the Silver Age. But he's never saccharine, and Jenny's cynicism balances him out. Some of the villains are better than others, but 9-Jack-9 is chilling even in a world as bright as Zot's. And the last storyline, where Zot is stranded on our world and has to confront issues like homophobia and racism, forms a nice contrast to the sci-fantasy of Zot's world.

One thing to keep in mind: the first 10 issues of Zot! were actually in color. After that, the series went on hiatus briefly and returned as a black & white comic for the remaining 26 issues. The big HarperCollins volume collects the entire b&w run (and Scott McCloud reintroduces the characters in issue 11, so it's basically a jumping-on point); but if you want to read the first ten issues, you'd need to look for Zot! Book One, by Kitchen Sink Press. (Used copies aren't hard to find and not too expensive.)

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Huh, I wonder why it's only A-H

also there is one omnibus
    I was curious about that myself. Thanks for saying that, though it might be my browser.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post

I would love to check out more Deathstroke but don't follow DC as much so I've never really found anything. Aside from NNT vol 2, is there any hardcovers that have some good Deathstroke stories?
    sadly, aside from the NTT omnibi there are not much great Deathstroke stories in hardcover. Hell, his 60 issue long run from the 90s isn't even collected at all except for one oop trade. NTT omnibus 1 features his first appearance and gives a idea of who he is and why he does it. Vol 2 Omnibus collects the Judas contract, comsiderex to be in the top 10 best Dc stories ever and has Deathstroke as the main antagonist. Another of my personal favorite stories is collected in NTT omnibus vol 3, which is called the Trial of the Terminator. Oh and he gets some decent exposure in Johns' first several issues of his TT run

In the mean time, check out Batman vs Deathstroke in the still awesome Arkham origins trailer
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 06-04-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47