View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 48 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258981485481048 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Well, I would guess that there are a fair number of the detractors that also read thrillers and detective stories and are familiar with the style of narrative. I know I have and that only helped highlight how weak and eye-rolling the mystery was.
    I couldn't agree more. I regret purchasing the hardcover so much. No wonder that's one of the absolutes that's 65% off. Not only did it have one of the most contrived endings to a badly written whodunit mystery, the whole abysmal "dark and mature" set-up just reeked of poor plotting.

Sorry about the negativity, but I just simply don't get the acclaim this terrible story gets.
    Last edited by alb2009; 06-04-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    It's fantastic. I hesitate to hype it up too much because, I mean, it's not Watchmen... it's just damn good comics. Exciting, clean art, relatable characters. No grim and grittiness to be seen -- Zot may have a claim to being the genuinely nicest hero this side of the Silver Age. But he's never saccharine, and Jenny's cynicism balances him out. Some of the villains are better than others, but 9-Jack-9 is chilling even in a world as bright as Zot's. And the last storyline, where Zot is stranded on our world and has to confront issues like homophobia and racism, forms a nice contrast to the sci-fantasy of Zot's world.

One thing to keep in mind: the first 10 issues of Zot! were actually in color. After that, the series went on hiatus briefly and returned as a black & white comic for the remaining 26 issues. The big HarperCollins volume collects the entire b&w run (and Scott McCloud reintroduces the characters in issue 11, so it's basically a jumping-on point); but if you want to read the first ten issues, you'd need to look for Zot! Book One, by Kitchen Sink Press. (Used copies aren't hard to find and not too expensive.)

Enjoy!
    Thank you for the recommendation. The complete b&w collecction is so cheap, I couldn't not jump on it.

After finishing the Secret Warriors omni, I decided to crack open the 100 Bullets deluxe to read a couple issues before I slept. Fast forward two hours later, I devoured the entire book. I thought it was interesting, but by the time I got to the third issue, I couldn't put it down.

The art is unique, but after a few issues, I was scouring each panel as it's style really stood out with Azzarello's story accentuating its nuances. In any case, I will be purchasing the next book in deluxe form and recommend everyone who hasn't read it yet, to give it a chance. It reminds me of Brubakers Criminal series without the noir overtones.

Amazing Member

My Speedyhen order for the Planetary Omnibus (that was delayed when they ran out of stock) is now about to ship, so I guess they've got some new copies in over the last couple of days.

So if anyone didn't place an order because they thought it was no longer available, I'd give it another shot.

Amazing Member

Anyway, I recently picked up the Ellis/Hitch Authority HC (to replace my Absolute edition, as I'm having a bit of a clearout to reduce the space my collection takes up), and it's a very nice edition - much better than the old paperbacks.

The second volume is on the way too (which collects quite a few issues that were left out of the second Absolute).

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    After finishing the Secret Warriors omni, I decided to crack open the 100 Bullets deluxe to read a couple issues before I slept. Fast forward two hours later, I devoured the entire book. I thought it was interesting, but by the time I got to the third issue, I couldn't put it down.

The art is unique, but after a few issues, I was scouring each panel as it's style really stood out with Azzarello's story accentuating its nuances. In any case, I will be purchasing the next book in deluxe form and recommend everyone who hasn't read it yet, to give it a chance. It reminds me of Brubakers Criminal series without the noir overtones.
    100 Bullets is such a fantastic series, and consistently good. I was so pleased it got Deluxe editions. Risso is the perfect artist for it too. He does seedy, shady characters so realisticly.

latest haul -

and some OOP books I got for under Aus$50. freakin score! been interested in the 52 omni for a long time and for that price i think it was worth it.

Pud333, the haul that is incoming is basically exactly yours, minus the FearAgent which i already got. thanks for the Arkham photos!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quick trivia question:
    Which Sandman hardcover set is better (consider price/quality/extra's), absolute or omnibus?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Quick trivia question:
    Which Sandman hardcover set is better (consider price/quality/extra's), absolute or omnibus?
    Absolute's for sure. You can still find all 4 (or 5 if you're a super completist) online considerably discounted.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quick trivia question:
    The omnibuses don't have any extras, they are BIG (I mean chunky therefor harder to handle) and vol 2's binding is not as great as vol1's. But they are looking really good on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Absolute's for sure. You can still find all 4 (or 5 if you're a super completist) online considerably discounted.
    The same quality as, let's say the Watchmen absolute? That one's pretty sweet.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

This may be a bit OT but I couldn't find a DC thread for TPB.

Has anyone bought the re-edition of the new version of Bruce Wayne: Murderer?
    The original 'new edition' was missing some critical issues and after fans cried foul DC said they were going to re-edit the book, which supposedly came out May 14th.

Thus my question.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post

The original 'new edition' was missing some critical issues and after fans cried foul DC said they were going to re-edit the book, which supposedly came out May 14th.

Thus my question.
    yupp, I already recieved my replacement copy from Bookdepository and the 2 missing issuer are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post

Thus my question.
    Check 2 pages back (page 46), there's a big discussion about it which will probably answer your questions

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    yupp, I already recieved my replacement copy from Bookdepository and the 2 missing issuer are in there.
    Check 2 pages back (page 46), there's a big discussion about it which will probably answer your questions
    Cool thanks. Seems like both have same ISBN so it may be tricky.

Side question, is it as 'worth it' as the new editions of Knightfall and NML if I already have the original trades? (question goes for the upcoming Fugitive new edition as well.)
    Last edited by Drakul; 06-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"