View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 491 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 391441481487488489490491492493494495501541591991 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,365 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Cheers, I'll have a look into the Doc Savage stuff.
    Doc Savage archives: The curtis magazine era volume 1 from Dynamite. Ohc, build quality is very similar to the older Marvel omnis. Black and white art with grey washes.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I loved Shadow year one but most people here disliked it. I still think it's excellent and one of the best recent pulp comics with a classic character.
    DC's First Wave was good as far as I can remember but it really bothered me that Batman clearly meant to be the Shadow in that book.
    Green Hornet year one was good as well but haven't read it since it came out.
    Also the original Lone ranger vol1 from Dynamite was good but later volumes took a nosedive straight away.
    Haven't read much else yet, the ones I sampled were dull as dishwater or put the character in modern setting, which hate (although the few issues I'v read of the modernized Spider wasn't that bad but I don't really care about the Spider to begin with so maybe that's why it didn't bother me).
    Not recent but having a blast with the Doc Savage archives, 70's marvel stuff, really fun.
    Have Dynamite done any more new pulp style books to go along with The Shadow Year 1 (which i also loved)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Have Dynamite done any more new pulp style books to go along with The Shadow Year 1 (which i also loved)?
    like a sequel? Unfortunately no. The other Shadow books are not really up to standard, I didn't enjoy the Ennis one either, although I should reread it, I wasn't really a fan of his writing when I tried to read his Shadow series and that changed since then.
    But Wagner wrote other pulp books too, Green Hornet year one is written by him and recently he did a Grendel-Shadow crossover but I haven't tried it yet because I never read a single Grendel issue in my life. Also he had a Zorro series and a Django-Zorro mini with Tarantino, hc is coming in December IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    l...and recently he did a Grendel-Shadow crossover but I haven't tried it yet because I never read a single Grendel issue in my life...
    Neither did I, but I absolutely loved that crossover. One of the very few Shadow comics I have in my collection. Still waiting for DE to reprint DC's Shadow Strikes series, the absolute best of the Shadow in comics.

I'm one of those who thought the Year One Shadow stories was a turd, and this is coming from a huge Matt Wagner fan. I did, however, like his Grendel-Shadow crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by pjerooo View Post
    Neither did I, but I absolutely loved that crossover. One of the very few Shadow comics I have in my collection. Still waiting for DE to reprint DC's Shadow Strikes series, the absolute best of the Shadow in comics.
    The Best Shadow series (imo) was Helfers and Bakers (with a bit of Bill Sienkiewicz) 19 issue run from DC many a year ago, my favourite comic run if i had to chose

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I'm one of those who thought the Year One Shadow stories was a turd, and this is coming from a huge Matt Wagner fan. I did, however, like his Grendel-Shadow crossover.
    Same here, I love Wagner, but Shadow: Year One left me disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    The Best Shadow series (imo) was Helfers and Bakers (with a bit of Bill Sienkiewicz) 19 issue run from DC many a year ago, my favourite comic run if i had to chose
    My heart goes out to Gerard Jones' run, it's closer to the original pulps, and it only got better as the series went on. The only downside was losing Barretto on art halfway through the series, but his replacement was decent, can't remember the guy's name. Anyway, since DE reprinted Shadow Masters, Hitler's Astrologer and Blood & Judgement, I sincerely hope they will reprint Shadow Strikes^^

Absolute Court Of Owls.....

Only collects issues 1 - 11 plus a script and sketches, pretty slim Absolute, about All Star Superman size, still nice though, just not a great deal to it

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

^

How'd you get it early you lucky devil? I bet that oversized Capullo art looks magnifent.

Also, sad news that it doesn't include Annual #1. Figured it wouldn't, but I was hoping for the complete contents found in the first two Batman trades / HCs.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

While I would love to have that, I just can't see plunking down that much money for it. I'll have to stick to my HC's.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Does it have the back ups? The first one starts off saying "years ago" about the pennyworth family. They may be at the end of eaach issue or or collected as one story as in the hcs. Although, beautiful book, one of the better looking absolutes imo.

nice looking absolute!

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Does it have the back ups? The first one starts off saying "years ago" about the pennyworth family. They may be at the end of eaach issue or or collected as one story as in the hcs. Although, beautiful book, one of the better looking absolutes imo.

had a quick look through and can't find anything as you have described

not a massive Perez fan, but i have just won the Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths, thought it was too important a story not to have in my collection

Also, anyone sensing a Moore ST absolute? My spider senses are tingling
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 11-15-2015 at 03:19 PM.

What's the deal with the Green Lantern dust jackets? I take them off to read and fold them back how they would be on the book and leave them on the shelf. When I put the book back the things have unravelled themselves halfway across the room. I didn't think something that just folds up could be so pointlessly dodgy ha ha.