View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 516 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 164164665065125135145155165175185195205265666161016 ... LastLast
Results 7,726 to 7,740 of 21672
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Random question - why no Kirby Absolutes?

Im not a huge fan of the Absolute format, but I'd make the exception for Absolute New Gods or Absolute Demon.

Have DC ever indicated why this is the case?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

It probably comes down to his DC work not being what he's remembered for. How many copies did the fourth world omnibus from a few years ago sell? Looking at amazon I see vol 4 did this cover his whole run?

Absolute Kamandi would be so wonderful.

Those Kirby Omnibuses aren't even oversized, right? No idea why they don't sell them as new omnibuseses.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It probably comes down to his DC work not being what he's remembered for. How many copies did the fourth world omnibus from a few years ago sell? Looking at amazon I see vol 4 did this cover his whole run?
    DC released a bunch of relatively poor quality hardcovers with cheap paper collecting Kirby's DC work, but they aren't oversized and some of the New Gods ones are hard to find.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Indigo has shipped my copy of the Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire deluxe!
    PLease post pics! if not you anyone with a copy! like to see binding front back cover and paper quality!!!!.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    PLease post pics! if not you anyone with a copy! like to see binding front back cover and paper quality!!!!.
    Someone on the Omnibus Collectors Facebook group posted pictures. Glued & sewn, like DCs recent deluxes. Printed covers under the dust jacket. I assume paper is the same as the swamp thing deluxe...
    Last edited by rynprc; 12-22-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: VanWinkle points out, glued and sewn. Not just glued as I said.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    DC released a bunch of relatively poor quality hardcovers with cheap paper collecting Kirby's DC work, but they aren't oversized and some of the New Gods ones are hard to find.
    I like the Kirby omnibus HCs as they replicate the look and feel of the original floppies but with improved separations. Like the Swamp Thing HCs, I understand it's a YMMV thing and I have my issues with some of the gutter loss between the splash pages, but the newsprint is better suited for some eras/artists over others (Tatjana Wood's ST color scheme I definitely can't see surviving full restoration on glossy, oversized stock.)

Quote Originally Posted by rynprc View Post
    Someone on the Omnibus Collectors Facebook group posted pictures. Glued, like DCs recent deluxes. Printed covers under the dust jacket. I assume paper is the same as the swamp thing deluxe...
    I liked what I've read of that run but based on my latest DC deluxe, Kid Eternity, I'm really not in a hurry to buy another DC deluxe. The paper is just blehh. Thin, wavy, glossy. I honestly think the Lemire -Sorintino GA would look better on matter paper, AFAIR it had flat colouring which usually looks better on matter paper.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I liked what I've read of that run but based on my latest DC deluxe, Kid Eternity, I'm really not in a hurry to buy another DC deluxe. The paper is just blehh. Thin, wavy, glossy. I honestly think the Lemire -Sorintino GA would look better on matter paper, AFAIR it had flat colouring which usually looks better on matter paper.
    DC had the perfect paper stock with the Archive Editions, but I'm not sure if I'd trade the affordability of Deluxes for the paper upgrade, honestly. The recent Sandman Overture one is a steal for the $12 you can get it on IST. My only gripe is with the thicker volumes (ex: The Filth) which could afford to lay a bit flatter.

Is the Lemire deluxe along the lines of quality as the Archer's Quest deluxe? (binding, paper etc. not story.) I'd be happy with that, I'm really looking forward to it so hopefully it isn't a terrible hardcover.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Is the Lemire deluxe along the lines of quality as the Archer's Quest deluxe? (binding, paper etc. not story.) I'd be happy with that, I'm really looking forward to it so hopefully it isn't a terrible hardcover.
    That archers quest has to be one of the worst bindings I own.....wouldn't even close back shut all the way after having to literally force it open to read. So if you're OK with that I wouldn't worry about this one being worse lol. The bindings on the larger deluxes (I think lemire GA is around 19 issues) from dc have been decent enough here lately, so I'll be down when it's released next week

Quote Originally Posted by rynprc View Post
    Someone on the Omnibus Collectors Facebook group posted pictures. Glued, like DCs recent deluxes. Printed covers under the dust jacket. I assume paper is the same as the swamp thing deluxe...
    Well, it's actually sewn and glued, to be fair. Better quality than a purely glued binding and says open easier.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    Well, it's actually sewn and glued, to be fair. Better quality than a purely glued binding and says open easier.
    Yes, yes. True. My mistake. Will edit.

I'm looking forward to it, I've not read any Green Arrow.

As the quality of all books from DC and Marvel (paper-wise) have taken a turn for the worse I'm thinking of restricting my collecting to Absolutes and DH library editions now and maybe only very special books (the upcoming Gotham Central omni for instance) as I don't keep up with new stuff, cancelling something like the new GA deluxe isn't really going to make a difference, the only company that greives me is Valiant, I expected the quality to remain but it hasn't, they are now putting their deluxes out on the same crappy paper as the others.

How can DH put out arguably the best quality books on the market (the library editions) far cheaper than anyone else?

I don't think I can carry on supporting companies who are basically ripping us off