View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 53 of 1444 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657631031535531053 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

My DC One Million Omnibus turned up today! Glad to finally have it. I usually don't like pre-2000 comics (I was born in 1991, I don't know any better ), but this looks to be a fun story. And I don't think I've developed the ability to say 'no' to a Grant Morrison book yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    Does DC have a strategy with the release of their collected editions similar to Marvel's? For instance, Marvel (loosely) releases omniboo with the premier of their movies. Or does DC just publish books because they feel like it?
    DC seems to just release whatever they like, whenever they like. The only time I can remember them exploiting a movie release was with the Golden Age Superman Omnibus for Man of Steel.

Spectacular Member

So far there has only been two oversized hardcover The Adventures of Superman (one with Gil Kane and the other with Jose Luis Garcia Lopez---which, y'know, are very good choices), but I am surprised they haven't done a Neal Adams or a Curt Swan one. More bronze age superman would just make my day.
    trying to be nicer

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    So far there has only been two oversized hardcover The Adventures of Superman (one with Gil Kane and the other with Jose Luis Garcia Lopez---which, y'know, are very good choices), but I am surprised they haven't done a Neal Adams or a Curt Swan one. More bronze age superman would just make my day.
    I have both of those and they aren't oversized, unfortunately.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    2012 was the 25th anniversary of Year one, so I think that's why it was released in deluxe format that year, coincidentaly when TDKR came out.
    I recently sought out the original hardcover with the die-cut dustjacket design by Chip Kidd. It's standard size, but the paper is matte, which is what the art was intended to be printed on.

Quote Originally Posted by dern View Post
    I recently sought out the original hardcover with the die-cut dustjacket design by Chip Kidd. It's standard size, but the paper is matte, which is what the art was intended to be printed on.
    This one? Looks nice, I didn' know there was a previous hc edition:
    9781401206901_p0_v2_s600.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    In DC's defense, though, there haven't been that many movies released since the omnibus came about have there? Marvel has been spitting out at least one new movie a year (it seems) since Iron Man.
    Just any oversized releases really, they pump out linked tpbs but next to nothing oversized.

That's the one.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Gordon View Post
    I have both of those and they aren't oversized, unfortunately.

My bad, I was going by memory and thought they were. I liked them anyway and would love more of them.
    trying to be nicer

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    I'd love those. I have the JLGL one, yet to read it.

Yeah, that's the one I have, too. I wish it were oversized, but it's damn nice.

Ugh Chip Kidd has the most awful dustjacket designs in the business.

Incredible Member

My copy of DMZ Deluxe Volume 2 arrived this morning, initial thoughts, standard vertigo build as expected (black card cover, glued binding), thicker than volume one and the spines look really nice together on the shelf.

Volume 1 was a blind buy for me and I really enjoyed it so im looking forward to reading volume 2.

I'll get some pictures up tonight if noone beats me to it.

I just read the five volume OHC run of 100 Bullets (in five days). Wow.
    I initially picked this up as floppies, but as I got into issue 30 or so, I had a hard time keeping up with it.
    A few years later, I got it in tpb form (by then the series was up to about 50).
    I reread it a few more years later when it was up to 80, but still felt that waiting on the floppies for another two years would cause me to forget things as this is a complicated series in which characters switch sides, keep secret motives, etc. Heck it was hard to keep up with.
    Anyway, long ramble here, but reading it all at once was freakin' awesome.

Any word if Brother Lono will get the Deluxe treatment??

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I just read the five volume OHC run of 100 Bullets (in five days). Wow.
    I initially picked this up as floppies, but as I got into issue 30 or so, I had a hard time keeping up with it.
    A few years later, I got it in tpb form (by then the series was up to about 50).
    I reread it a few more years later when it was up to 80, but still felt that waiting on the floppies for another two years would cause me to forget things as this is a complicated series in which characters switch sides, keep secret motives, etc. Heck it was hard to keep up with.
    Anyway, long ramble here, but reading it all at once was freakin' awesome.

Any word if Brother Lono will get the Deluxe treatment??
    So far it's only in a trade, and it's only a few issues long, which would make it the smallest 100 Bullets Deluxe Edition yet.. But my guess is maybe there's another 100 Bullets Mini series coming and they could deluxe it with Brother Lono? If not I hope that Lono at least gets the deluxe treatment. Such an amazing series.

Incredible Member

DMZ Deluxe Book Two

Front

Spine

Interior

Spectacular Member

I got the jsa omni and 100 bullets 5 awhile back, and they both have this wet mark thing on certain pages, looks like someone put a big wet thumb print in the middle of the page. Anyone else seen this? Second time for me

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    DMZ Deluxe Book Two

Front

Spine

Interior
    That's some pretty nifty art. Could you do a few more interior pages? Never been disappointed with the vertigo deluxes I've bought so far, and as always, I've never heard of DMZ.