View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 545 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 454454955355415425435445455465475485495555956451045 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 21672
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    For me, when reading Batman Golden Age Omni, I've just stopped reading the narration boxes and only focus on the dialogue and the pictures. It actually reads like a real book then. The frustration for me has always been that they unnecessarily narrate what's happening on the page, without that though it's not so bad. Been loving the Batman GA!
    Totally agree with the narration thing, I kinda just skim it for the most part, but it does tend to be terribly redundant. Another thing I can do without (in marvel silver ages anyways) is the villain talking about himself doing things "easily". Watch how easily I do this, look how I easily blow this up etc. But it was just the time they were made I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    For me, when reading Batman Golden Age Omni, I've just stopped reading the narration boxes and only focus on the dialogue and the pictures. It actually reads like a real book then. The frustration for me has always been that they unnecessarily narrate what's happening on the page, without that though it's not so bad. Been loving the Batman GA!
    Yep, I do the same thing with but not just with Golden Age. It even helps with SA and BA.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I may start doing that. Sounds like it could help out a lot with the pacing of stuff like New Teen Titans.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Yep, I do the same thing with but not just with Golden Age. It even helps with SA and BA.
    This sounds like a great idea. Will do this going into SA F4..I couldn't really enjoy SA Avengers much.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I may start doing that. Sounds like it could help out a lot with the pacing of stuff like New Teen Titans.
    I often wonder if it's just me, but a lot of the early New Teen Titans do not hold up well writing wise. I love who is Donna Troy and the Judas Contract so he get's there for me but I was shocked at how clunky I found the beginning. Then again Tomb of Dracula was only worthwhile for the art for me so maybe Marv in general is not to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I often wonder if it's just me, but a lot of the early New Teen Titans do not hold up well writing wise. I love who is Donna Troy and the Judas Contract so he get's there for me but I was shocked at how clunky I found the beginning. Then again Tomb of Dracula was only worthwhile for the art for me so maybe Marv in general is not to my taste.
    Yep...Marv Wolfman is not a good writer. But a lot of his stuff came out when the current crop of influential voices were kids, so it gets way more praise than it should.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I've only read the first grade, but I really enjoyed it. There was just a bit to many words for me.
    Cyclops was right

Do you guys think we would get some collected book maybe even omnibus of Sucide Squad since movie's coming out this year, there is lot o buzz on social media, poeple love latest trailer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Do you guys think we would get some collected book maybe even omnibus of Sucide Squad since movie's coming out this year, there is lot o buzz on social media, poeple love latest trailer etc.
    We *are* getting collected books (ie tpb's) of Suicide Squad due to the movie coming out this year. Two volumes have currently been released.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    We *are* getting collected books (ie tpb's) of Suicide Squad due to the movie coming out this year. Two volumes have currently been released.
    With Ostrandets SS just being released as paperbacks id imagine if any omnis were going to be released it would be the newer series.

You mean New Suicide Squad? Sorry I wasn't specific, I've meant at least deluxe HC's, collecting entire run from New 52 or some classic run. Sorry, not an expert with SS. I have 2 tbp's of Suicide Squad, they're ok but nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    You mean New Suicide Squad? Sorry I wasn't specific, I've meant at least deluxe HC's, collecting entire run from New 52 or some classic run. Sorry, not an expert with SS. I have 2 tbp's of Suicide Squad, they're ok but nothing more.
    The old Suicide Squad has had two tpb's recently released, with more on the way. That is what they're releasing to coincide with the movie.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Yep...Marv Wolfman is not a good writer. But a lot of his stuff came out when the current crop of influential voices were kids, so it gets way more praise than it should.
    I actually think that of the major BA writers, Wolfman's definitely one of the bests. His characterization and knowledge of the characters are astounding. When I first dipped my toe in older comics, Wolfman was one of my gateways. He always knew how to really make a story epic.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Amazing Member

I agree, although reading the first Tomb of Dracula Essential, the writing works for me way more than, say, Doug Moench's on Batman, where it sometimes feels more like Kelley Jones making fun of the overwrought prose and plotting with his own gothic exaggerated cape shapes and facial expressions, which I love to no end. I find George Perez's art dry at times, so that didn't help elevate TNTT's reading experience for me the way Gene Colan's did on Dracula; but both of those titles felt more like a collaborative effort than that Batman run (I do need to revisit the Batman: Vampire saga though. That might be their best pairing.)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Just finished 2 HCs: Detective Comics Icarus and Detective Comics Anarky. I completely missed out on Manapul/Buccellato telling exactly my kind of Batman stories. Detective stories. After a few mediocre Flash issues I had given up on that team but those two Detective HCs are a feast for my eyes and a nice read if you miss Gotham Central like me. The revamped Harvey Bullock is my favourite comic character from now on.