View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 553 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 534535035435495505515525535545555565575636036531053 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,295 of 21672
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I'll back Hellboy; Vouluem One is all I've read from HB. But I really loved it.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Enormouse View Post
    Absolute year one with 224 pages for $125? Ugh.
    Um, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    also, got a question for all the Hellblazer experts.
    Currently reading the Ennis run and was wondering if I should go back to vol1 and catch up or just continue with vol 9?
    From what I've read in vol5 from Delano it wasn't bad but it wasn't Ennis but maybe just because that was the end of his run.
    You can keep going and not miss anything but Delano wasn't bad. I prefer Ennis, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    For the love of all that is holy, keep going forward - don't look back!

The Delano stuff is drudgery. Anyone who dismisses Ennis as nothing but shock value has either never read Ennis or never read Ennis with any kind of critical eye.
    Do you like anything? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I'll bet you think The Boys is an excellent read as well
    It is.

Fantastic Member

Ennis is my least favorite of the Hellblazer writers, although I still enjoyed it.

Any Hellblazer story is an above average tale, though. The book maintained an incredible level of quality for 300 issues. Delano, Jenkins, Carey, Ellis, Azzarello, Milligan, Diggle - just a lot of genius work.

Incredible Member

Absolute Batman Year One? After much discussion about how there's not enough content to realistically fill up an Absolute edition of this tale? And somehow there's 224 pages for $125. Way to prove me wrong DC! PREORDERED!

Just kidding. I'm very curious to see what the actual contents, page count and price will be. If it's as Amazon says, that's a big hell no.

Whoever said it might be a Gallery Edition might be right. That Batman: Kelley Jones Gallery Edition was $125 MSRP with a similar number of pages. Frank Miller's Ronin Gallery Edition was $195 MSRP for 328 pages. The forthcoming The Dark Knight Returns Gallery Edition is 216 pages for $175. The odd thing about it if it is a Gallery Edition, is the fact there is an Amazon listing at all, as I don't believe Amazon itself directly sold the previous Gallery Editions. I think you had to buy them direct from Graphitti Designs or maybe there was direct market distribution too.

Incredible Member

I'll jump on the Ennis train and say that Preacher was amazing.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Delano's run is 90% caption boxes of flowery grad school-level creative writing, 10% any semblance of plot. It had a certain interest at the time of its release for people who had only read superheroes, but it has not aged well, and wasn't really all that good to begin with.
    You should really learn to use 'in my opinion' a bit more. This is your opinion but not the general consensus. Personally, I think Delano's run had some amazing high concept ideas and an amazing overaching plot. I mean Newcastle? That issue where his niece was missing? The Vietnam issue? Apart from that he also invented important plot devices that all the other writers used to build upon.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Delano also wrote possibly the greatest one shot in john Constantine history. I believe it's issue #84 with excellent Sean Philips art featuring Slag the Monkey. You need to know nothing about JC and can read and laugh your ass off. If you havent read the issue and are a fan do so immediately! You can find it easily for cover or less. Good ol' Slag and Queenie. I'm gonna have to go pull this one out now...

Delano's run is 90% caption boxes of flowery grad school-level creative writing, 10% any semblance of plot. It had a certain interest at the time of its release for people who had only read superheroes, but it has not aged well, and wasn't really all that good to begin with.
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 02-15-2016 at 01:25 AM.

Fantastic Member

Loved Preacher, but I really just felt like Hellblazer wasn't Ennis' greatest work. Read vol 1 & 2 of The Boys and thought that it was too low-brow for me.

Delano's stuff, I really really enjoyed.

thanks for all the opinions, I will get at least vol1 of Hellblazer and if it's not my thing I will just move forward from vol 9.

Suspiciously, Orion's description of Delano's writing is exactly the same as one of my pals described Gaiman's Vertigo stuff. And I love Gaiman, so....
    back to gradschool I guess

Spectacular Member

Looks like another omnibus went out of print. Hawkman by Geoff Johns, which is a shame as the stories are great. If anyone is on the fence better buy from Amazon before it's gone from there.

http://www.talesofwonder.com/product...ibus-HC-Vol-01

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/H...L-01/SEP110186

Wonder if DC will now use for the Absolute Batman Year One the recolored pages from Mazzucchelli that they disregarded for the last hardcover edition.

After picking up The DMZ and Y the last man deluxe editions, the Vertigo deluxe is probably my favorite format. So much better than Images Deluxe editions. What other Deluxe editions from Vertigo do you guys recommend?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    After picking up The DMZ and Y the last man deluxe editions, the Vertigo deluxe is probably my favorite format. So much better than Images Deluxe editions. What other Deluxe editions from Vertigo do you guys recommend?
    100 Bullets, and if you enjoy Azzarello and Risso's work like I did, then also get Spaceman, a 5 issue mini series they did, also in Deluxe.

Oh And also Scalped, Sweet Tooth and the Invisibles!