View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 56 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960661061565561056 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hawkman #'s 23 - 25, part of the Black Reign crossover. I don't have the Hawkman Omni myself, but I think they're included in it.

But, crisis averted. Jeff Boison, DC's VP for Publishing Planning & Collected Editions just tweeted to say they'll definitely be included.
    The Hawkman omni includes JSA 56-58

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Did absolutes or deluxe editions bring anyone here into, or back into comics? DC hasn't historically produced nearly as much as Marvel in that regard but the JLA Morrison deluxe volumes were what got me started reading DC comics. Before that it was just Marvel and the Civil War OHC was what brought me back into Marvel after a break.
    I've been reading DC non-stop since 1990, but it was the Morrison JLA Deluxes that got me into the OHC game. It's all been downhill for my wallet since then...

Speaking of, I recently decided to switch to the re-issued trades and sell off my 4 Deluxe Editions. I love that they're comprehensive, and I considered just continuing with vol. 5, but my OCD will never allow that to stand for long.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Haven't bough much in awhile. IST hasn't been running 45% off anything lately, and I've had some other things to focus money into. Did (finally) pick up Absolute Identity Crisis from IST, along with Pope's Escapo. Identity Crisis was among one of the first DC comics I ever really read. Time to retire that ol' tpb!

Incredible Member

Did absolutes or deluxe editions bring anyone here into, or back into comics? DC hasn't historically produced nearly as much as Marvel in that regard but the JLA Morrison deluxe volumes were what got me started reading DC comics. Before that it was just Marvel and the Civil War OHC was what brought me back into Marvel after a break.
    No, not specifically. When I got back into comics, I collected TPBs first, as they were cheaper. This went on for a couple years before I switched my entire collection over to HCs. What made me do that wasn't any specific comic. It was actually this thread (or at least earlier versions of it) that convinced me to switch over. The quality of some Vertigo HC's were the final nails in the coffin.

Yeah, it did for me. Absolutes and Omnibus. Finding out that there was an oversized Dark Knight Returns was just awesome. And those SA and Bronze Age omnibus that I suddenly discovered. I'd been on a 20 year comic hiatus, and had got sick of reading stuff progressively, and to discover HQ oversized large collections was just awesome.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Haven't bough much in awhile. IST hasn't been running 45% off anything lately, and I've had some other things to focus money into. Did (finally) pick up Absolute Identity Crisis from IST, along with Pope's Escapo. Identity Crisis was among one of the first DC comics I ever really read. Time to retire that ol' tpb!
    Speaking of IST I dunno if anyone mentioned it they had a couple absolutes (not great ones, supes azzarello and promethea 2/3) for 25 bucks new. Snagged one for myself.
    On an unrelated note I hit a wall in that jsa omni where lex luthor is the president and he tells the jsa to go to war with absolutely no pretense in this book. In most event based issues, at least with marvel, theres a blurb or something. I cant even look up what this event is called, if someone could give me some background leading up to that issue it help me out a great deal. Thanks!

If anyone picks up the Frank Quitely book today, please post about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Speaking of IST I dunno if anyone mentioned it they had a couple absolutes (not great ones, supes azzarello and promethea 2/3) for 25 bucks new. Snagged one for myself.
    On an unrelated note I hit a wall in that jsa omni where lex luthor is the president and he tells the jsa to go to war with absolutely no pretense in this book. In most event based issues, at least with marvel, theres a blurb or something. I cant even look up what this event is called, if someone could give me some background leading up to that issue it help me out a great deal. Thanks!
    The event was called Our Worlds At War.

Quote Originally Posted by FailureByDesign View Post
    If anyone picks up the Frank Quitely book today, please post about it.
    What book do you mean, specifically?

Didn't bring me back into comics, since I never quit, but oversized hardcovers have reignited the passion. I've definitely been reading more in the last two years than I was for a while. And finally reading classic series that I never got around to previously. So convenient to get everything in a few books. 100 Bullets Deluxe and Sandman Omnibuses are perfect examples of this.
    Last edited by csista; 06-18-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    What book do you mean, specifically?

probably this one: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...-frank-quitely

Quote Originally Posted by ptitjaune View Post

"Hi, I'm Robin. Check out my crotch!"

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

"Hi, I'm Robin. Check out my crotch!"
    At first I didn't understand Batman's dopey grin... until my eyes wandered down...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    I don't know any of the background -- I think there's a space conqueror named Imperiex, and he wants Earth for... reasons, and that's about it. But it doesn't matter. The reason to read that issue has nothing to do with the long-forgotten crossover, or the rather by-the-numbers story. It comes down to two things:

1) Calling in all the reserves basically turns the JSA into a modern All-Star Squadron, and it's great that Johns geeks out by reuniting the Freedom Fighters, some of the Seven Soldiers of Victory and Infinitors, etc. Just seeing Iron Munro again, even though he doesn't really do anything, is cool. Offhand, I think that "call in all reserves, assemble the All-Star Squadron" only occurs once more in the series ("Princes of Darkness," leading into issue 50), and it's awesome then too.

2) The last two pages. Luthor, after tasking the JSA with essentially disabling a planet, asks how many casualties they suffered. Sand replies, well, their ship took some damage. "But casualties, Mr. President?" -- he continues as Luthor gets all bug-eyed, because just for a millisecond he forgot he was talking to the greatest effing superhero team the DC universe has ever seen -- "None. You're forgetting who you're talking to. This is the JSA."

F%*@. Yeah.
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 06-18-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    I don't know any of the background -- I think there's a space conqueror named Imperiex, and he wants Earth for... reasons, and that's about it. But it doesn't matter. The reason to read that issue has nothing to do with the long-forgotten crossover, or the rather by-the-numbers story. It comes down to two things:

1) Calling in all the reserves basically turns the JSA into a modern All-Star Squadron, and it's great that Johns geeks out by reuniting the Freedom Fighters, some of the Seven Soldiers of Victory and Infinitors, etc. Just seeing Iron Munro again, even though he doesn't really do anything, is cool. Offhand, I think that "call in all reserves, assemble the All-Star Squadron" only occurs once more in the series ("Princes of Darkness," leading into issue 50), and it's awesome then too.

2) The last two pages. Luthor, after tasking the JSA with essentially disabling a planet, asks how many casualties they suffered. Sand replies, well, their ship took some damage. "But casualties, Mr. President?" -- he continues as Luthor gets all bug-eyed, because just for a millisecond he forgot he was talking to the greatest effing superhero team the DC universe has ever seen -- "None. You're forgetting who you're talking to. This is the JSA."

F%*@. Yeah.
    Haha ok thanks for clearing all that up thanks guys