View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 563 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 634635135535595605615625635645655665675736136631063 ... LastLast
Results 8,431 to 8,445 of 21672

Seven Soldiers would make a beautiful Absolute, if memory serves the artwork was top notch, haven't read it in a while since i sold the floppies and then refused to buy the 2 (i think, or was it 4???) superslim HC's (could of/should of been a deluxe at the very least) also, i can't understand the missing Morrison Batman Absolutes, never read them (have the released ones waiting to be read) how much is missing? two Absolutes worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Seven Soldiers would make a beautiful Absolute, if memory serves the artwork was top notch, haven't read it in a while since i sold the floppies and then refused to buy the 2 (i think, or was it 4???) superslim HC's (could of/should of been a deluxe at the very least) also, i can't understand the missing Morrison Batman Absolutes, never read them (have the released ones waiting to be read) how much is missing? two Absolutes worth?
    I personally think that there is two Absolutes left. The first one I would Name 'Absolute Batman: by Grant Morrison' which would collect the batman material from 52 and the same content as the deluxe vols of the black glove and RIP. I would exclude last rites though as it is already in the Final Crisis absolute.

The second would be Absolute Return of Bruce Wayne. It would be a smaller vol containing the 6 part RoBW and also the issues 700- 702 of batman collected in time and the batman. The reading order would be Time and the batman then return of Bruce Wayne.

I think this is the best way to have the complete Morrison batman run in absolute. These two vols could be read back to back as Bruce's story through Morrison's run without dipping into final crisis then read batman & robin along side and then into Batman incorporated. Or just read everything lol.

Price aside, I am happy that Year One is getting the Absolute treatment. I sold off my tpb a few years ago and resisted the urge to get the deluxe up until now. Hopefully the pricing can be adjusted to reflect the volume of material. I still think it should have replaced TDKSA in the Absolute Dark Knight book.

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    Price aside, I am happy that Year One is getting the Absolute treatment. I sold off my tpb a few years ago and resisted the urge to get the deluxe up until now. Hopefully the pricing can be adjusted to reflect the volume of material. I still think it should have replaced TDKSA in the Absolute Dark Knight book.
    I have to disagree. I've seen this before; that Year One should have been paired with DKR in the Absolute, but that really makes no sense. I understand that from a standpoint of story quality the 2 are close, but come on, DKSA is a direct sequel to DKR, written and drawn by Miller. How could they not include that in Absolute Dark Knight?

Incredible Member

Yeah I like Year One on its own. As crappy as DKSA is, it's a direct sequel.

Forget all that stuff. Someone should license Year One and Born Again and make a Miller/Mazzucchelli Absolute-esque book.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    I have to disagree. I've seen this before; that Year One should have been paired with DKR in the Absolute, but that really makes no sense. I understand that from a standpoint of story quality the 2 are close, but come on, DKSA is a direct sequel to DKR, written and drawn by Miller. How could they not include that in Absolute Dark Knight?
    Because its crap? lol. Putting Year One and TDR together makes total sense to me, it would be the absolute that bookends Batman as a character..beginning and end. Not to mention they were done roughly around the same time period and were both deemed as important works that revitalised the character from a lot of campiness that came before it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Someone was asking about a good place to start with Morrison and although it's not DC, I would suggest starting with Zenith. It's a decent super hero yarn and you can see the early seeds of "Morrison-isms" being planted.

For DC, I would suggest Animal Man. Also the 52 omnibus since he was a co-author and it serves - as he stated in an interview at the time - a coda for AM.
    Zenith is awesome. Outside of Morrison's Batman, it's my favorite thing he has done, and the artwork it top notch from Steve Yeowell. Plus the latest hardcovers released are really nice.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    Zenith is awesome. Outside of Morrison's Batman, it's my favorite thing he has done, and the artwork it top notch from Steve Yeowell. Plus the latest hardcovers released are really nice.
    It really is awesome. I got the limited edition one-volume version (that you had to order online). It's this British version of COIE.

Yes, Zenith is the start of many Morrisonisms, as TomSlick said. Final Crisis, Morrison's Batman run, Invisibles, etc all have key stuff rooted in Zenith.

Zenith is what attracted DC to Morrison, got him the ability to write Arkham Asylum.

Animal Man is, yes, the other best way to get introduced to Morrison, his DC work.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

I liked Volumes 1 and 2 of Zenith, couldn't get into the rest. Morrison is best when he's taking his weirdness and mixing it with established characters and some editorial control, which is why I think his JLA run is the greatest superhero work of all time, and definitely the best starting point for someone who hasn't been exposed to his stuff before.
    Last edited by Lake Nowhere; 02-25-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Nowhere View Post
    I liked Volumes 1 and 2 of Zenith, couldn't get into the rest. Morrison is best when he's taking his weirdness and mixing it with established characters and some editorial control, which is why I think his JLA run is the greatest superhero work of all time, and definitely the best starting point for someone who hasn't been exposed to his stuff before.
    Yea, if you're looking for established characters, JLA is the way to go. The problem is...once done with JLA and you want to read more Morrison, you'll find that JLA didn't help much at all in that regard because (except for maybe New X-Men) Grant doesn't do much quite like his JLA run, which is a little lighter on the weirdness and unconventional storytelling for typical Morrison stories/runs.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    There is a sale at 2000 AD store this week-end on physical items, including Zenith volumes and the apex edition at half price http://shop.2000adonline.com/categories/zenith

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

I don't think it's collect yet but has anyone read Earth 2: Society? I have seen some of the art and I think it looks pretty stellar. Plus I'm a sucker for the JSA characters (I know they aren't like the old JSA really at all but still).

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    I don't think it's collect yet but has anyone read Earth 2: Society? I have seen some of the art and I think it looks pretty stellar. Plus I'm a sucker for the JSA characters (I know they aren't like the old JSA really at all but still).
    Unbearably awful. I can't even describe how bad it is. I'm being compeltyl serious. The Earth 2 books since Tom Taylor left at Eartg 2 #26 have been the worst DC comics publish in, the last few years at least, if not all time. I can't even describe how bad it is. Daniel Wilson, the writer, is one of the worst writer's I've ever read it any medium. I'm seriously not kidding. It's that bad. Luckily, Dan Abnett came on the book at issue 8, and its supposed to have gotten much better, but I haven't picked it up yet. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. It's really that bad.
    Cyclops was right

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Unbearably awful. I can't even describe how bad it is. I'm being compeltyl serious. The Earth 2 books since Tom Taylor left at Eartg 2 #26 have been the worst DC comics publish in, the last few years at least, if not all time. I can't even describe how bad it is. Daniel Wilson, the writer, is one of the worst writer's I've ever read it any medium. I'm seriously not kidding. It's that bad. Luckily, Dan Abnett came on the book at issue 8, and its supposed to have gotten much better, but I haven't picked it up yet. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. It's really that bad.
    Woof what a rousing endorsement haha Thanks for being honest about it becuase I had never heard of Daniel Wilson before. I think I'll pass on it which is a shame because I find the art nice to look at from the preview pages. I saw that Abnett had gotten on board which further peaked my interest but man your statements really sucked any interest I had with the series right out lol