View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 575 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 754755255655715725735745755765775785795856256751075 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,625 of 21673

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Speaking of pictures; did anyone pick of the Neal Adams Batman Omnibus? I am extremely curious about what is actually collected in the book, and if it's going to be a disjointed mess of random issues or something actually worth buying.
    It contains an introduction by Neal Adams, a Foreword by Dennis O'Neil, all the content from Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams volumes 1, 2, and 3, Batman Odyssey volumes 1 and 2, a 90 page cover gallery, a sketchbook section, and a biography. 1071 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    It contains an introduction by Neal Adams, a Foreword by Dennis O'Neil, all the content from Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams volumes 1, 2, and 3, Batman Odyssey volumes 1 and 2, a 90 page cover gallery, a sketchbook section, and a biography. 1071 pages.
    I believe what mike was asking if were getting whole story arcs or just the issues that Adam worked on. In the solicitation the issue numbers jump around quite a bit, so is it whole arcs or just the issues from arcs that adams worked on? Id like to know as well. Its the only thing that has stopped me from already ordering it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    I believe what mike was asking if were getting whole story arcs or just the issues that Adam worked on. In the solicitation the issue numbers jump around quite a bit, so is it whole arcs or just the issues from arcs that adams worked on? Id like to know as well. Its the only thing that has stopped me from already ordering it.
    It's just the issues Neal Adams worked on. Those were the ones included in the original HC's as well. If you want to bridge the gaps in the Ra's al Ghul story you have to get the odd issue like "Return of Daughter of the Demon", Batman #235 separately.
    Last edited by banky; 03-12-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    It's just the issues Neal Adams worked on. Those were the ones included in the original HC's as well. If you want to bridge the gaps in the Ra's al Ghul story you have to get the odd issue like "Return of Daughter of the Demon", Batman #235 separately.
    So then we arnt getting whole story arcs? Thats dissapointing...No point for me If I only get parts of stories.

How about the artwork for the Neal Adams Omnibus? Is it the original coloring or is it the Adams recoloring/redrawing? I can ignore the filth that is Batman Odyssey if I'm getting his original classic 70's stuff, but if it's been recolored, I'll probably have to pass, as tempting as the under $50.00 Amazon price is.
    Last edited by TGW; 03-12-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Not only is it the recoloured material, but those issues that avoided recolouring in the Illustrated books have now been retouched for consistency. So ALL the material has been edited in some way, save presumably for Odyssey.

No, that's is not the case. The book collects parts of issue 235 which I suspect means the stuff by Denny O'Neil which is part of the storyline.

Back then issues had multiple stories and one issue. Also, the issues that are skipped entirely are probably filler issues. I'm not positive but this could easily be verified by going to Amazon and getting the list of what's being collected and then cross referencing it with the descriptions on mycomicshop.com

I for one am going to get this book. It's gonna be great. Except for that Odyssey crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Valentino View Post
    Not only is it the recoloured material, but those issues that avoided recolouring in the Illustrated books have now been retouched for consistency. So ALL the material has been edited in some way, save presumably for Odyssey.
    Thanks for the reply. This is disappointing but not surprising news, unfortunately. Putting aside my feelings on Odyssey (the worst Batman book I've ever read), I loathe the recoloring/redrawing that Neal has done to his classic work. Not only does it give off a George Lucas Star Wars vibe, with the constant tinkering and whatnot, the bigger problem is that the finished product looks tacky, like a comic that I would find inside a cereal box.

It looks like I'll be passing on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    No, that's is not the case. The book collects parts of issue 235 which I suspect means the stuff by Denny O'Neil which is part of the storyline.

Back then issues had multiple stories and one issue. Also, the issues that are skipped entirely are probably filler issues. I'm not positive but this could easily be verified by going to Amazon and getting the list of what's being collected and then cross referencing it with the descriptions on mycomicshop.com

I for one am going to get this book. It's gonna be great. Except for that Odyssey crap.
    Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that the story "Return of the Daughter of the Demon" is NOT in the collection as it was not pencilled by Neal Adams (Irv Novick art). Comicbookdb entry for Batman #235. Adams did the cover art which is included as part of the collection. It should be stated that the Ra's Saga by O'Neill and Adams was collected in old trades and reprint books including the non-NA stories but the exclusion of Return of the Daughter does not detract much from the story collected in the NA omni. I hate that it was broken up but that's the result of royalties and different creators.

Cheers, Tom. I think too many detractors of the recolored artwork by Neal Adams tend to demonize the collection (no pun intended) in collectors' eyes. Everyone should just see for themselves as YMWV. The majority of the artwork looks terrific, modern recoloring and all. There are some cases where restraint would have worked but it's nowhere near the travesty the purists would have you believe.

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that the story "Return of the Daughter of the Demon" is NOT in the collection as it was not pencilled by Neal Adams (Irv Novick art). Comicbookdb entry for Batman #235. Adams did the cover art which is included as part of the collection. It should be stated that the Ra's Saga by O'Neill and Adams was collected in old trades and reprint books including the non-NA stories but the exclusion of Return of the Daughter does not detract much from the story collected in the NA omni. I hate that it was broken up but that's the result of royalties and different creators.
    This is not a shot at you but folks need to realize that just because it says Neal Adams, doesn't mean it's ONLY Neal Adams. Geoff Johns' collection have more than just Geoff Johns stories. OK, that said, I noted earlier that it will include parts of Batman # 235 even though it's not by Adams. You can check that with Amazon and then cross reference what will be collected with mycomicshop.com

Also, these older issues have more than one story, so if it collects "parts" of it you can kind of figure out what. And it's going to be more than covers.

So, here's some links.

From Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Adams-O...batman+omnibus

This massive volume collects material from Batman #200, 203 and 210; The Brave and The Bold #75-76 and 79-85; Dectective Comics #370, 372, 385, 389, 391, and 392; and World's Finest Comics #174-176, 178-180, 182-183, 185, 186; Batman #217, 220-222, 224-227, 229-231, The Brave and The Bold #86, 88-90, 93, 95, Detective Comics #394-403, 405-311, World's Finest Comics #199, 200, 202; Batman #232, 234-241, 243-246, 251, 255; Batman Annual #14; Batman Black & White #4; Brave and the Bold #99, Detective Comics #412-422, 439, 600; Heroes Against Hunger; Limited Collectors Edition C-25, C-51, C-59; Robin #1; Saga of Ra's Al Ghul #4; World's Finest #211, 244-246, 258; Batman: Odyssey Vol. 1 issues #1-6 and Vol. 2 issues #1-7.

Description of No. 235

Link: http://mycomicshop.com/search?q=batm...pubid=&PubRng=

52-page giant. The Dark Knight must do the unthinkable and team-up with Ra's Al Ghul to find the Daughter of the Demon before it's too late. It's the return of Talia in "Swamp Sinister." Script by Denny O'Neil, pencils by Irv Novick, inks by Dick Giordano. Robin stars in a solo adventure in "The Outcast Society." Script by Mike Freidrich, art by Novick/Giordano. Reprint: Batman and Robin in "Castle with Wall-to-Wall Danger!" Script by John Broome, pencils by Carmine Infantino, inks by Joe Giella (from Detective Comics # 329). Cover price $0.25.

This is not a shot at you but folks need to realize that just because it says Neal Adams, doesn't mean it's ONLY Neal Adams. Geoff Johns' collection have more than just Geoff Johns stories. OK, that said, I noted earlier that it will include parts of Batman # 235 even though it's not by Adams. You can check that with Amazon and then cross reference what will be collected with mycomicshop.com

Also, these older issues have more than one story, so if it collects "parts" of it you can kind of figure out what. And it's going to be more than covers.

So, here's some links.

From Amazon:

This massive volume collects material from Batman #200, 203 and 210; The Brave and The Bold #75-76 and 79-85; Dectective Comics #370, 372, 385, 389, 391, and 392; and World's Finest Comics #174-176, 178-180, 182-183, 185, 186; Batman #217, 220-222, 224-227, 229-231, The Brave and The Bold #86, 88-90, 93, 95, Detective Comics #394-403, 405-311, World's Finest Comics #199, 200, 202; Batman #232, 234-241, 243-246, 251, 255; Batman Annual #14; Batman Black & White #4; Brave and the Bold #99, Detective Comics #412-422, 439, 600; Heroes Against Hunger; Limited Collectors Edition C-25, C-51, C-59; Robin #1; Saga of Ra's Al Ghul #4; World's Finest #211, 244-246, 258; Batman: Odyssey Vol. 1 issues #1-6 and Vol. 2 issues #1-7.

Description of No. 235

52-page giant. The Dark Knight must do the unthinkable and team-up with Ra's Al Ghul to find the Daughter of the Demon before it's too late. It's the return of Talia in "Swamp Sinister." Script by Denny O'Neil, pencils by Irv Novick, inks by Dick Giordano. Robin stars in a solo adventure in "The Outcast Society." Script by Mike Freidrich, art by Novick/Giordano. Reprint: Batman and Robin in "Castle with Wall-to-Wall Danger!" Script by John Broome, pencils by Carmine Infantino, inks by Joe Giella (from Detective Comics # 329). Cover price $0.25.
    That's what makes this collection so questionable; unlike the writer-centered omnibuses, the Neal Adams Batman book seems to orphan a lot of non-Adam penciled issues.

Even worse; the use of "material from" when listing the issues included. There is no way we are getting full stories from that many issues with only ~1000 page count, especially when Odyssey is 1/3 of that.

I'm half tempted to buy it just to help out the board.

Fair enough. I can verify Batman #235 "Swamp Sinister" is not included in the TPB for Batman illustrated by Neal Adams v.3. The cover was reproduced but the story is not in there. Again, the story is not crucial to the Ra's Saga in the same way "The Lazarus Pit" is, so it's exclusion should not be a deal breaker. I do not own the Omnibus but if the description is accurate, it has the same content as the previously released 3 collected volumes (plus Odyssey etc). I would be pleasantly surprised if the Swamp Sinister story is included.
    Last edited by banky; 03-13-2016 at 05:30 PM.

So, here's some links.

From Amazon:

Description of No. 235

That solicitation is wrong. Here are the contents (these are not my pictures):

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    That's what makes this collection so questionable; unlike the writer-centered omnibuses, the Neal Adams Batman book seems to orphan a lot of non-Adam penciled issues.

Even worse; the use of "material from" when listing the issues included. There is no way we are getting full stories from that many issues with only ~1000 page count, especially when Odyssey is 1/3 of that.

I'm half tempted to buy it just to help out the board.
    Even the writer centered books will skip issues not by that writer. Morrison's JLA for example. Makes me wonder what we are actually getting. Especially with solicitations having incorrect issues.

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    That solicitation is wrong. Here are the contents (these are not my pictures):

Thanks for the TOC pics, VanWinkle. These stories were the exact same ones covered in the original 3 HC's. What's new to me is the info that Bill Sienkiewicz(!) inked part of Odyssey. There definitely appears to be much more extras (100+ pp of covers, 14pp sketch gallery) as well.
    Last edited by banky; 03-13-2016 at 09:05 PM.