View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 602 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1025025525925985996006016026036046056066126527021102 ... LastLast
Results 9,016 to 9,030 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You are exactly right. For anyone picking up this omnibus, the final chapters of Johns' run will make no sense due to major plot points being found in other books, not to mention the entire Third Army storyline wrapping up in another book.

DC screwed up when releasing the original new 52 trades, then screwed up again with this omnibus.
    What trades are needed to plug the gaps? I'm going to be getting the 3rd omnibus regardless so I may as well prepare.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I'm refusing to buy volume 3. Something that expensive has no right to be incomplete.
    Cyclops was right

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    What trades are needed to plug the gaps? I'm going to be getting the 3rd omnibus regardless so I may as well prepare.
    I believe it GLC, Red Lanterns, and New Guardians vol 3. It may even be more than that.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I believe it GLC, Red Lanterns, and New Guardians vol 3. It may even be more than that.
    Or read the omnibus until GL13 and finish with the two regular hardcovers/trades "Rise of the third army" and "Wrath of the first lantern" They've got all the issues in the right reading order, I think

You are exactly right. For anyone picking up this omnibus, the final chapters of Johns' run will make no sense due to major plot points being found in other books, not to mention the entire Third Army storyline wrapping up in another book.

DC screwed up when releasing the original new 52 trades, then screwed up again with this omnibus.
    That's not really true, though.

Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern were thematic; not direct crossovers.

Johns Green Lantern issues through Rise of the Third Army told the story of Simon Baz becoming a Green Lantern and had nothing at all to do with what was going on in the other titles.

Wrath of the First Lantern again was a separate story line in each book, where the central Green Lantern of each title had to overcome a personal alternate reality designed to keep them trapped from the First Lantern.

This Omnibus is absolutely complete if you only want to read John's story and will make complete sense on its own.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post

Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern were thematic; not direct crossovers.

Johns Green Lantern issues through Rise of the Third Army told the story of Simon Baz becoming a Green Lantern and had nothing at all to do with what was going on in the other titles.

Wrath of the First Lantern again was a separate story line in each book, where the central Green Lantern of each title had to overcome a personal alternate reality designed to keep them trapped from the First Lantern.

This Omnibus is absolutely complete if you only want to read John's story and will make complete sense on its own.
    If thats true then I'll be ok with that, I havn't read any further than the first trade of the new 52 GL series but looking over those two crossovers they appeared to me to be pretty heavily entwined but if thats not the case then i'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    If thats true then I'll be ok with that, I havn't read any further than the first trade of the new 52 GL series but looking over those two crossovers they appeared to me to be pretty heavily entwined but if thats not the case then i'll be happy.
    I had the 3 standard trim John's Nu52 Green Lantern HCs as well as the dedicated Rise and Wrath HCs. I ended up selling the Rise and Wrath books because they really weren't needed. Since I wasn't following the other GL titles, I didn't really care about what was going on in those books.

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

That's true, I've found all the tie-ins mentioned to be extremely redundant and not necessary to understanding the overall storyline. As a book that is advertised as Green Lantern by Geoff Johns, there is nothing incomplete about it.

That's not true at all. While Red Lanterns and New Guardians are superfluous, you will be completely lost without GLC. One issue the Third Army will be an omnipresent threat, the next issue they will be a long-defeated memory.

That's not true at all. While Red Lanterns and New Guardians are superfluous, you will be completely lost without GLC. One issue the Third Army will be an omnipresent threat, the next issue they will be a long-defeated memory.
    I had no problems reading only the main GL book. It stands completely alone.

Unlike the War of the Green Lanterns story, which actually ran through all 3 books, Rise and Wrath told self contained stories in their individual books.

Sure, there were minor references to events from the other books, but it is absolutely unnecessary to read all 4 books to understand the story; there wasn't one story running between them all to understand.
    Last edited by mike1981; 04-14-2016 at 04:06 PM.

I had no problems reading only the main GL book. It stands completely alone.

Unlike the War of the Green Lanterns story, which actually ran through all 3 books, Rise and Wrath told self contained stories in their individual books.

Sure, there were minor references to events from the other books, but it is absolutely unnecessary to read all 4 books to understand the story; there wasn't one story running between them all to understand.
    I gave you a specific example. Literally the main storyline that the arc is named after is not resolved in the main GL title, not to mention several other referenced subplots.

Fantastic Member

Omnibus vol. 1 is also not complete. How am I supposed to know who this jackass with an S scratched on his chest is? Or what is Sinestro up to between Rebirth and his next appearances? They keep mentioning it, but never showing. There's a tie-in to the event, but the event itself is not in there. THERE'S A ONE YEAR JUMP IN THE MIDDLE!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON????

Its the complete Green Lantern by Geoff Johns, not everything Green Lantern related. Clue is in the title.

Spectacular Member

I konw that the omnibus collect all the Johns stuff but personally when I read it I read the GLC stuff at the same time (up to Brightest Day when I then dropped off) and I think the GLC stuff is great and really adds to the story as well. I cant imagine reading one without the other.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Here's what's listed on the back:

Attachment 34771
    Thanks for this.

Good to see they've now included #61-67 and the N52 #0 issue.