View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 624 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1245245746146206216226236246256266276286346747241124 ... LastLast
Results 9,346 to 9,360 of 21673
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Thinner than the fables deluxe books?
    Yes. Sadly.

Did the Supergirl omni get pushed back? I was certain it was supposed to be released this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Did the Supergirl omni get pushed back? I was certain it was supposed to be released this month.
    Yes it's been pushed back to June 8th.

So because of reasons i'm going to finally going to try watchmen. So the deluxe has more pages than the absolute, what does it have that the absolute dosn't? Which one has the better build. And is watchmens art even good enough for an absolute purchase?

Spectacular Member

Got that Deodato Wonder Woman book. Much better book than it should have been considering it was part of that whole replace the hero phase DC was going thru. But Messner-Loebs was underrated. And I like Deodato's art in general and I like cheesecake but did every costume have be essentially a thong. All the heroines were going bare cheeked in those stories---we were really obsessed with asses and thongs back then.
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    Got that Deodato Wonder Woman book. Much better book than it should have been considering it was part of that whole replace the hero phase DC was going thru. But Messner-Loebs was underrated. And I like Deodato's art in general and I like cheesecake but did every costume have be essentially a thong. All the heroines were going bare cheeked in those stories---we were really obsessed with asses and thongs back then.
    LoL. You are correct.....and I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    So because of reasons i'm going to finally going to try watchmen. So the deluxe has more pages than the absolute, what does it have that the absolute dosn't? Which one has the better build. And is watchmens art even good enough for an absolute purchase?
    the deluxe is easier to find but yeah, Watchmen deserves an absolute IMHO. The art is brilliant but it s not flashy like say Jim Lee, it s more...subtle and focuses on storytelling.
    Also, DO NOT read it as a superhero book, there is barely any action in it and I know some people who were dissapointed because they expected a proper superhero story.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the deluxe is easier to find but yeah, Watchmen deserves an absolute IMHO. The art is brilliant but it s not flashy like say Jim Lee, it s more...subtle and focuses on storytelling.
    Also, DO NOT read it as a superhero book, there is barely any action in it and I know some people who were dissapointed because they expected a proper superhero story.
    I may be the only one, but I wish the before watchmen got made into a couple of Absolutes, they would be a nice companion piece, same as Death is to the main Sandman series of Absolutes

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I may be the only one, but I wish the before watchmen got made into a couple of Absolutes, they would be a nice companion piece, same as Death is to the main Sandman series of Absolutes
    Anything is possible.

Now that Watchmen are going to be part of the same universe as the regular DC superheroes what with Rebirth, this could very well happen.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Also, DO NOT read it as a superhero book, there is barely any action in it and I know some people who were disappointed because they expected a proper superhero story.
    Translated: Don't expect Zach Snyder.

It really bugged me that Snyder made Watchmen an action flick when it's a drama.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    I ordered this even though I already have the two older, skinny trades it reprints.

It's a longshot, but I really hope they collect the rest of Messner-Loebs run at some point...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

And how about the before watchmen stuff? Is it something I should be reading before watchmen?(I know they came out after the main).

Ive seen about 80% of the film, plan on watching the whole thing soon. To be honest idk what I think about the film, idk it just didnt set to well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Translated: Don't expect Zach Snyder.

It really bugged me that Snyder made Watchmen an action flick when it's a drama.
    I always felt there was plenty of action in the Watchmen comics, but more of a slow burn like The Godfather.

And how about the before watchmen stuff? Is it something I should be reading before watchmen?(I know they came out after the main).

Ive seen about 80% of the film, plan on watching the whole thing soon. To be honest idk what I think about the film, idk it just didnt set to well with me.

I'd suggest reading Watchmen first.
    The before stuff is more icing on the cake, at least to me.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I really can't recommend anything beyond Moore's GN. The film is comic accurate enough pretty pictures with no soul, no emotion and Before Watchmen is just really forgettable and mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I always felt there was plenty of action in the Watchmen comics, but more of a slow burn like The Godfather.
    Watchmen was definitely a drama first (with some action) IMHO, so yea, The Godfather comparison is apt enough. And if I imagined the book's action in live action, it wouldn't be the stylized ridiculous Matrixlike stuff whatever that Zach Snyder did.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-26-2016 at 07:46 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

as other' said, read it after the original.
    it's a self contained story without any need of sequels or prequels and I honestly think the prequel stuff just ruins the effect, no matter how good they are.
    One part of Watchmen that I really like is that the golden age of superheroes are the thing of the past, and it only looks good because of nostalgia. We see glimpses of it through flashbacks and that had the perfect effect for me. Reading several miniseries about that time doesn't add anything but takes away from the narrative of the original.
    At least for me.
    MY advice would be: don't finish the movie. Go into the book without too much knowledge of the story, try to experience it like it's the first time. I think you should buy the deluxe and upgrade if you like it enough. Some people don't like Watchmen and that's fine and maybe you are one of them. I was 19 when I read it and before that I've only read superhero books (Rising stars was the closes to Watchmen before I've read it probably) and Watchmen made me want to read different type of comics. If you are already into stuff like Planetary, Transmetropolitan or Sleeper, Preacher etc, maybe Watchmen won't have the same effect on you.
    I'm definitely curious about your opinion.