View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 636 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1365365866266326336346356366376386396406466867361136 ... LastLast
Results 9,526 to 9,540 of 21672
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    What...? I can work out what you're trying to say in the first sentence (I'm guessing Lono is meant to be Lobo?) but that second one has me stumped!
    Lono was the 6 issue mini and 100 Bullets Sequel that came out a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    What...? I can work out what you're trying to say in the first sentence (I'm guessing Lono is meant to be Lobo?) but that second one has me stumped!
    Wow talk about phone spelling issue. I meant to say, you could add Lono and that would even it out with five volumes.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    So I bought the Johns Hawkman omnibus a while back because it was like 80% off on Hamilton Books when someone posted it here, and everyone was gushing over it.

I cannot slog through this garbage.

Now, I've never read anything by Johns before, so I admit that the blind buy was probably a mistake, but the praise he gets on this site seems pretty intense, so I figured it was a safe purchase.

It's just... stupid. The story jumps around too quickly - nothing is explained - and none of the characters act like real people act. Hawkman walks around with his helmet on all the time because... what now? And when he takes it off he's allegedly this really charming intellectual type, but when he puts it on, he's some kind of almost murderous vigilante? I absolutely cannot understand Hawkman's motivations for doing anything.

The cops just take Green Arrow and Hawkman at their word that the attacks were done by an imposter? Who for no reason at all leaves his fake mustache at a crime scene, intentionally?

The only character I knew anything about was that Spider guy actually, since I had read Morrison's Seven Soldiers. And by the way, Spider is on a murderous rampage because of some 100k investment deal his dad made? What?

The only story I enjoyed was like issue six, a cowboy story that wasn't even written by Johns.

The entire thing reads like fanfiction/Claremont. The conversation between Green Arrow and Hawkgirl early on was cringe worthy, when he asks her why she isn't going by Hawkwoman, and she's like, "I DIDN'T EARN IT YET" or whatever. It felt like an attack on reasonable people who would be wondering the same thing.

Hawkgirl constantly telling Hawkman that he "better not try anything" made me feel like Hawkman is a rapist. It felt like the kind of thing that man who doesn't understand anything about women would write for dialogue for a woman. Actually, all the women feel like that. Don't get me started on that weird kiss between Hawkman and the Indian archaeologist who swoons because wings and muscles and omg he saved me. Oh and Hawkgirl gets all jelly because she started recovering her memories because she fixed the Hawkplane and after all women all hate each other.

Also, how does Hawkgirl's uniform even stay on? Does she spirit glue the sides to her hips? What are the tactical advantages of exposing one's mons pubis?

Most of the art was pretty neat.
    Haven't read it (yet), but Hawkman is considered one of Johns's lesser works, and also I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be read alongside his JSA run for context. I wouldn't let not enjoying this book turn you off from trying some of his other stuff like Green Lantern.

(If you decide to try his Flash though, be aware the first arc w/ the mirrorworld is garbage but then it gets really awesome really quick. You'll know when by the start of the Scott Kollins art!)

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Wow talk about phone spelling issue. I meant to say, you could add Lono and that would even it out with five volumes.
    Ah okay! This coupled with Enormouse's post now makes sense. I was initially wondering why you wanted me to add a Lobo book into the slot, I just thought you were a huge fan!

Is this legit?

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/absolute...n-for-tomorrow
    Someone tell me quick before i pull the trigger on it. I'm not a fan of Azarrello but 25 bucks for an absolute version of Superman with Jim Lee sounds too good to pass up.

Should i get it?

There's also absolute Green Lantern Sinestro for 30.

Two absolutes for around 55 dollars or so with shipping.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Is this legit?

Someone tell me quick before i pull the trigger on it. I'm not a fan of Azarrello but 25 bucks for an absolute version of Superman with Jim Lee sounds too good to pass up.

Should i get it?

Yes. I picked up that very book from there a few weeks back, as well as some other good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat A Tat View Post
    Yes. I picked up that very book from there a few weeks back, as well as some other good deals.
    Nice! Thanks for the fast response.

It would be my first absolute editions as i don't usually buy the expensive stuff. I stick to the 10-20 dollars trade range usually.

Also going to get the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN: Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez - Hardbound for 12 dollars. [which is 26 on amazon]

Some good deals on that site indeed.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-17-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

So I bought the Johns Hawkman omnibus a while back because it was like 80% off on Hamilton Books when someone posted it here, and everyone was gushing over it.

Now, I've never read anything by Johns before, so I admit that the blind buy was probably a mistake, but the praise he gets on this site seems pretty intense, so I figured it was a safe purchase.

It's just... stupid. The story jumps around too quickly - nothing is explained - and none of the characters act like real people act. Hawkman walks around with his helmet on all the time because... what now? And when he takes it off he's allegedly this really charming intellectual type, but when he puts it on, he's some kind of almost murderous vigilante? I absolutely cannot understand Hawkman's motivations for doing anything.

The cops just take Green Arrow and Hawkman at their word that the attacks were done by an imposter? Who for no reason at all leaves his fake mustache at a crime scene, intentionally?

The only character I knew anything about was that Spider guy actually, since I had read Morrison's Seven Soldiers. And by the way, Spider is on a murderous rampage because of some 100k investment deal his dad made? What?

The only story I enjoyed was like issue six, a cowboy story that wasn't even written by Johns.

The entire thing reads like fanfiction/Claremont. The conversation between Green Arrow and Hawkgirl early on was cringe worthy, when he asks her why she isn't going by Hawkwoman, and she's like, "I DIDN'T EARN IT YET" or whatever. It felt like an attack on reasonable people who would be wondering the same thing.

Hawkgirl constantly telling Hawkman that he "better not try anything" made me feel like Hawkman is a rapist. It felt like the kind of thing that man who doesn't understand anything about women would write for dialogue for a woman. Actually, all the women feel like that. Don't get me started on that weird kiss between Hawkman and the Indian archaeologist who swoons because wings and muscles and omg he saved me. Oh and Hawkgirl gets all jelly because she started recovering her memories because she fixed the Hawkplane and after all women all hate each other.

Also, how does Hawkgirl's uniform even stay on? Does she spirit glue the sides to her hips? What are the tactical advantages of exposing one's mons pubis?

Wow. I know some people who thought this run was just "okay", but never anyone who downright hated it!

Maybe I'm biased, being a Hawkman (and Johns) fan in general, but I loved it! Johns work with the Hawks is second only to Ostrander/Truman for me.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Is this legit?

Should i get it?

Yeah that superman is legit but it's not worth $12.50. God awful story and I'm a big Brian Azz fan. The art is Jim Lee but it feels like he's phoning it in sometimes.

This is arguably one of the funniest reviews I've ever read. I personally enjoyed the series but I agree about the rapey parts, hawkgirl's costume and the part where when the mask comes off he's sophisticated.

It does help tho to read this alongside JSA.

I'd recommend either Flash or Green Lantern if you want to try more Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yeah that superman is legit but it's not worth $12.50. God awful story and I'm a big Brian Azz fan. The art is Jim Lee but it feels like he's phoning it in sometimes.
    Well... crap! I already ordered it lol. /Facepalm

If a fan of his thought that, i'm not even close to a fan i wouldn't even take his Wonder Woman book for free. Disliked it greatly.

Hopefully Jim Lee's art makes up for it. I'm not a huge fan of his either but i tend to like his work more than not.

I prefer Omnis...not Absolute price but still oversized and sewn.

Sleeper and Gotham Central were at/near top of list, so wish granted. I also recently got The Complete Frank Miller Batman leather-bound from 1989.

1 JH3 Batwoman (Elegy + New52) Omnibus [note: plus unpublished #25 script]
    2 Ross Omnibus (Kingdom Come + Justice)
    3 Azzarello/Chiang Wonder Woman Omnibus
    4 Rucka Wonder Woman Omnibus (starts w/ The Hiketeia)
    5 Brubaker/Cooke Catwoman Omnibus
    6 Snyder/Jock/Francavilla Detective Comics (eg The Black Mirror) Omnibus
    7 Sandman Overture Omnibus
    8 Loeb/Lee Batman (eg Hush) Omnibus
    9 Snyder/Capullo Batman Omnibus
    10 Before Watchmen Omnibus

Well... crap! I already ordered it lol. /Facepalm

If a fan of his thought that, i'm not even close to a fan i wouldn't even take his Wonder Woman book for free. Disliked it greatly.

Hopefully Jim Lee's art makes up for it. I'm not a huge fan of his either but i tend to like his work more than not.
    Eh, read it. Maybe you'll like it. If not you can probably break even on ebay

Spectacular Member

Alrighty Almighty! It's the final day to cast your votes for your most wanted OMNIBUS AND ABSOLUTE EDITIONS! I've been toiling away writing up this list and there are some obvious winners, but also some interesting ones to be sure. You want to vote? Of course you do! Here's how with all them rules and such:

1. PM me you most wanted books numbered 1-10 where number one is the book you'd like most and number 10 is the book you put on the list because you could only think of 9.
    2. One book per numeral! This means one volume per slot! Number one cannot be Amazons Attack Vol 1-2. To satisfy this portion of the rule, you'd have to either do away with volume 2, or slide it down to make room.
    3. Books can be as large as any currently published or solicited book. For omnibus editions that means around 55 issues and for absolutes we get 26.

I'll be revealing these tomorrow. Depending on how the math shakes out, it might only be a top 10, but you never know.

So TLDR, PM top 10 lists. Don't make them crazy big. One book per numeral!
    Last edited by Enormouse; 06-17-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Spectacular Member

I got the Death of Superman omnibus, but I've been slowly picking up those paper back reprints recently. I also got Johns' Flash omnibuses, but I recently read the Millar and Morrison Flash paper back and want to reread the JOhns issues now, so I am thinking about picking them up in trade. Just cause they are easy to transport and the omnibus is just so uncomfortable to read.

I've often double dipped--paperback to hardcover--and I have occasionally triple dipped--pb to HC to deluxe hardcover---more than once I have quad dipped to absolue--, but now I'm going backward.

I might just have a buying problem
    trying to be nicer