View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 642 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1425425926326386396406416426436446456466526927421142 ... LastLast
Results 9,616 to 9,630 of 21670
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinBo37 View Post
    Still no indication of a deluxe edition of grayson coming out. Should I break down and buy the trades?
    No one ever knows the speed at which DC collects content, nor can we predict if it'll ever be collected.

My input, for what it's worth, is that as we move into Rebirth I wouldn't expect too many collected editions of nu52 material into Deluxe formats.
    If we see any at all it'll be the larger profile characters: Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, JLA, Green Lantern titles and maybe Aquaman, Green Arrow and Swamp Thing.

DC seems keen on getting foundation era books out with their push on Golden, Silver and Bronze Age Omnis. While the Absolutes tend to be runs pre-Flashpoint.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Ya. Hopefully Tom kings run on batman raises his profile enough that DC would release it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChinBo37 View Post
    Still no indication of a deluxe edition of grayson coming out. Should I break down and buy the trades?
    Depends on how long you are willing to wait. I don't see this series getting a deluxe-like hardcover edition any time in the next year or two, though I wouldn't discount the possibility of a two TPB release. The first volume came out in hardcover format, and then went to TPB only format for the remaining volumes. I would have to surmise that sales didn't support continued hardcover treatment.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

DC seems keen on getting foundation era books out with their push on Golden, Silver and Bronze Age Omnis. While the Absolutes tend to be runs pre-Flashpoint.
    Though we have seen a couple books from post flashpoint, yeah? Court of Owls and, if I recall correctly, isn't Batman Inc partially post flashpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    So as someone who has read very little Batman (No Mans Land, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, First dozen or so Snyder issues) would it be worth picking up?
    Well, it's kind of like the Death of Superman. It was a gimmick and you knew sort of how it would end but it was a fun ride. I would recommend it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    How many of these GA Superman omnis do you think we'll get? Where is the actual stopping point of material?
    Good question. The Golden Age is generally accepted to have ended with All-Star Comics #57 (cover date March 1951), the last Golden Age appearance of the JSA, and then the Silver Age beginning in Showcase #4 (cover date October 1956), Barry Allen's first appearance, with the five years in between being either an untitled interstitial period or "the Atomic Age." That works fine for Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman et al, characters who were actually reinvented. But Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were all published continually from the Golden Age through the interstitial period/Atomic Age, on through into the Silver Age -- there is no definitive line of demarcation.

Wonder Woman is the easiest, because Wonder Woman #98 (cover date May 1958) retold her origin, removing all of the WWII references, with some other minor changes (her mother went from a brunette to a blonde). In issue 99, a new origin for the "Diana Prince" identity was introduced, and in subsequent issues more changes were introduced. So for WW, the Golden Age stopping point is Wonder Woman #97.

But Superman and Batman are a lot harder. Some would like the "yellow oval" intro to be Batman's Silver Age starting point, but that doesn't work because he'd already been appearing with the Justice League for a couple years sans oval. For Superman, the best argument would be around Action Comics #241 in June 1958 (first Fortress of Solitude) or 242 (first Brainiac & Kandor), or 252 (first Supergirl). But there really is no definitive answer, other than "sometime in the mid to late '50s."

(For a much, much more in-depth look at this, click here.)
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 06-21-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

This is most probably what I would pick up:

25. Justice League by Geoff Johns Omnibus volume 1 (TIE)
    19. Absolute Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid (TIE)
    18. Starman by Robinson and Daniel Omnibus volume 1
    13. JLA by Grant Morrison Omnibus (TIE)
    10. Batman by Snyder and Capullo
    8. Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus volume 1 (TIE)
    8. Superman by John Byrne (TIE)
    7. Justice League by Giffen and Dematis
    4. Green Arrow by Mike Grell volume 1 (TIE)
    2. The Flash by Mark Waid Omnibus volume 1

DC REBIRTH OMNIBUS Cover by GARY FRANK:

SUPERMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 3:

Collects ACTION COMICS #48-63, SUPERMAN #16-23, and WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #6-10.

ABSOLUTE INFINITE CRISIS Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ:

WATCHMEN NOIR Cover by DAVE GIBBONS:

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Good question. The Golden Age is generally accepted to have ended with All-Star Comics #57 (cover date March 1951), the last Golden Age appearance of the JSA, and then the Silver Age beginning in Showcase #4 (cover date October 1956), Barry Allen's first appearance, with the five years in between being either an untitled interstitial period or "the Atomic Age." That works fine for Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman et al, characters who were actually reinvented. But Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were all published continually from the Golden Age through the interstitial period/Atomic Age, on through into the Silver Age -- there is no definitive line of demarcation.

Wonder Woman is the easiest, because Wonder Woman #98 (cover date May 1958) retold her origin, removing all of the WWII references, with some other minor changes (her mother went from a brunette to a blonde). In issue 99, a new origin for the "Diana Prince" identity was introduced, and in subsequent issues more changes were introduced. So for WW, the Golden Age stopping point is Wonder Woman #97.

But Superman and Batman are a lot harder. Some would like the "yellow oval" intro to be Batman's Silver Age starting point, but that doesn't work because he'd already been appearing with the Justice League for a couple years sans oval. For Superman, the best argument would be around Action Comics #241 in June 1958 (first Fortress of Solitude) or 242 (first Brainiac & Kandor), or 252 (first Supergirl). But there really is no definitive answer, other than "sometime in the mid to late '50s."

The best way to think of it, I find, is that the Golden Age is everything before the 1950s, the Silver Age is the 1960s, and the Bronze Age is the 1970s. It doesn't exactly work, but close enough. The 1950s are like an interstitial, since superhero output was low and excessively silly, leading to it having low regard and low retrospective interest from fans.

Personally I don't see much point in trying to categorize it and define it any more concretely as it really just refers to different stylistic "moods" (in a literary sense) the comic book medium went through in the 20th century.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

For anyone who's read the material already, what are the contents of GA Superman 2 and 3 like? Any important milestones? Do supervillains other than Luthor start to appear? I bought Vol 1 and enjoyed it while Superman was a crusader standing up for the working man, but after a while the stories shifted and they would all resolve with Superman spoiling the plot by showing up and being all "surprise, I'm even MORE super than you thought, I can do THIS!" and that got lame really quick so I bailed. If it's more of that I'm going to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post

so much useful info that I was always interested in but kept forgetting to look it up. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Well, it's kind of like the Death of Superman. It was a gimmick and you knew sort of how it would end but it was a fun ride. I would recommend it.
    Hmm... may give it a go then., It all depends on how much it comes out at!