View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
558. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

    54 9.68%
  • Deluxe

    220 39.43%
  • Omnibus

    226 40.50%
  • Absolute

    125 22.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 654 of 1217 FirstFirst ... 1545546046446506516526536546556566576586647047541154 ... LastLast
Results 9,796 to 9,810 of 18246
  1. #9796
    Junior Member aleksivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    I own every other DC omnibus (except the dumb N52 collection ones with villain and zero issues and stuff) and these are the very last two I'm purchasing to get there. I can only speak for myself of course, but if they were that bad that this is what it took to get me to buy them.
    I think we are similar in our buying habits.
    - I Stayed away from the N52 #1's . No intention in buying this.
    - I'm on the fence with the Future's End collection.. It doesnt include the Future's End storyline (thats in the TPB's) and the only good one shot is the Lemire Green Arrow Story which is already in the Lemire Deluxe Edition.
    - Although I got DC New 52 Villains because that made more sense to collect.

  2. #9797
    Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleksivic View Post
    I think we are similar in our buying habits.
    - I Stayed away from the N52 #1's . No intention in buying this.
    - I'm on the fence with the Future's End collection.. It doesnt include the Future's End storyline (thats in the TPB's) and the only good one shot is the Lemire Green Arrow Story which is already in the Lemire Deluxe Edition.
    - Although I got DC New 52 Villains because that made more sense to collect.
    Yeah, I think so. I didn't buy the N52 #1s, the N52 zero issues, the Future's End, or the Villains books. I skipped Villains because I heard it mostly wasn't very good and that all the good/important stuff would be collected elsewhere like the Lemire Count Vertigo issue (which was actually very good, but everything he did on Green Arrow was). Do you recommend it?

    Future's End I've also been eyeing but I can't quite tell if it's a story or what? It seems like a strange collection of a strange, only sort-of "event?" One-shot issues of each series hypothesizing where the characters are five years from now that don't tie together? For the purpose of what? And I should care because? I don't know. It sounds like the definition of empty comics to me. Phoned in because the writers know it's entirely inconsequential so they either don't care or do things they would never do if they had to write an ongoing series about these characters five years from now, making it all feel inauthentic. But oh look Superman totally punched that guy, so now you got your money's worth out of buying this comic!

    All that said it's shocking how easily I could be convinced to buy it if someone says it actually isn't like that and it's worth reading.



    Are you thinking of buying the Rebirth omnibus? I'm on the fence. One the one hand, I don't see that it's much different from the N52 #1s omnibus, which isn't the kind of collection I think omnibuses are for or that I enjoy. On the other hand . . . I really want to read all of it.

  3. #9798
    Junior Member aleksivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Yeah, I think so. I didn't buy the N52 #1s, the N52 zero issues, the Future's End, or the Villains books. I skipped Villains because I heard it mostly wasn't very good and that all the good/important stuff would be collected elsewhere like the Lemire Count Vertigo issue (which was actually very good, but everything he did on Green Arrow was). Do you recommend it?

    Future's End I've also been eyeing but I can't quite tell if it's a story or what? It seems like a strange collection of a strange, only sort-of "event?" One-shot issues of each series hypothesizing where the characters are five years from now that don't tie together? For the purpose of what? And I should care because? I don't know. It sounds like the definition of empty comics to me. Phoned in because the writers know it's entirely inconsequential so they either don't care or do things they would never do if they had to write an ongoing series about these characters five years from now, making it all feel inauthentic. But oh look Superman totally punched that guy, so now you got your money's worth out of buying this comic!

    All that said it's shocking how easily I could be convinced to buy it if someone says it actually isn't like that and it's worth reading.



    Are you thinking of buying the Rebirth omnibus? I'm on the fence. One the one hand, I don't see that it's much different from the N52 #1s omnibus, which isn't the kind of collection I think omnibuses are for or that I enjoy. On the other hand . . . I really want to read all of it.
    Villains Omnibus is all over the place (good and bad).

    I'm loving Rebirth so far (haven't read Nightwing or Aquman yet though) so I think I will buy it since I doubt Rebirth will be collected anywhere other than the floppy and there's titles I am not reading in single issue form.

  4. #9799
    Illest Alive PLEDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sakasko View Post
    Vol. 2 is approximately 50 pages shorter than Vol. 1, and it does look thinner on the shelf. The 731 pages, now that Superman's career has really taken off, will only get you about 16 months worth of stories, which is just about half the time span of Vol. 1. The logo on the spine is still the previous version.

    The format of the page numbers has changed to match the other omnibuses produced since Vol. 1. That is to say, unlike Vol. 1, you won't be reminded on every page that you're reading "Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus" and the actual page number is significantly smaller. I appreciate the reduction of these distractions. The actual paper is similar enough to Vol. 1 that I don't notice much of a difference.

    You can judge the cover art for yourself, but in my mind it will be a sad day when DC runs out of covers Cooke produced.

    As far as the stories go, you can buy the book because you like how it looks on the shelf (no shame there) or you can try investing yourself in some 75-year-old pop culture. If you choose the latter, might I suggest adding a swingin' jazz soundtrack and getting yourself in the mood with some old newsreel footage and maybe even a clip from a scary Hitler speech on YouTube. It was a different world.

    Attachment 37818

    Attachment 37819

    Attachment 37820
    Thanks for the side by side pics! They look great together...but I think volume 1 alone will suffice for me. It's enough to get a good handle on what the golden age era for Supes was about.

  5. #9800
    Amazing Member Eddy82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleksivic View Post
    Villains Omnibus is all over the place (good and bad).

    I'm loving Rebirth so far (haven't read Nightwing or Aquman yet though) so I think I will buy it since I doubt Rebirth will be collected anywhere other than the floppy and there's titles I am not reading in single issue form.
    According to Amazon, there's a Rebirth collectors edition coming out in December, on the same date they release the omnibus:
    https://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-C...ords=dc+comics

  6. #9801
    Junior Member aleksivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post
    According to Amazon, there's a Rebirth collectors edition coming out in December, on the same date they release the omnibus:
    https://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-C...ords=dc+comics
    Great find! Puzzling why this wasn't solicited with the Omnibus.

  7. #9802
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think it comes down to how fast you read. In December for Superman you'll be 2 full omnibus behind. If they do do 2 Superman per year you will never catch up. If the program stalls out the paperbacks seem quite popular so in that event I think they would catch up. Flash doesn't seem to have a vol 2 for trade paperback so in December you'll be about 50 issues behind.

    Cost is a consideration as well I suppose. As for format preference I prefer oversized art so I go digital and OHC nowadays. Physical trades are no longer my thing even though they have more comfortable reading options than Omnibus. Basically I want to avoid reading glasses for as long as possible
    You are absolutely right! I read quite fast and I'm a sucker for Golden Age Sup and his socialist adventures! So I might go with omnibus. Thanks guys.

  8. #9803
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    624

    Default

    I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the new Northlanders chunky trade and its really good so far, short story arcs of unconnected charecters set in roughly the same time and place of history leads to some really great stuff. A quick search on amazon tells me volume 2 of these trades lands in November so thats going to be a definite pre-order.

  9. #9804
    Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post
    According to Amazon, there's a Rebirth collectors edition coming out in December, on the same date they release the omnibus:
    https://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-C...ords=dc+comics
    Oh nice! This might be the way to go since the new vol 1s of the trades will all start off with the rebirth specials, making double collecting unavoidable if we buy the omnibus. I hope it's oversized! Sounds like it is.

  10. #9805
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    125

    Default

    I'm about to make some people very happy. Found this in DC Comics October solicitations:

    ABSOLUTE WONDER WOMAN BY BRIAN AZZARELLO AND CLIFF CHIANG VOL. 1 HC

    Written by Brian Azzarello, art by Cliff Chiang, Tony Akins, Dan Green, Kano, cover by Cliff Chiang.

    In these tales from the start of DC -- The New 52, Wonder Woman learns that Queen Hippolyta has kept a secret from her daughter all her life -- and when Diana learns who her father is, her life will shatter like brittle clay. The only one more shocked than Diana by this revelation? Bloodthirsty Hera -- so why is her sinister daughter, Strife, so eager for the truth to be told? This Absolute edition collects Wonder Woman #1-18 and #0.

    484 pages, $125, in stores on Feb. 1.
    Last edited by enguarde22; 07-18-2016 at 12:27 PM.

  11. #9806
    I am the law Judge Dredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mega-City One
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    I figured we would get an omnibus of his run not an absolute, but very excited like absolutes better cannot wait.

  12. #9807
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    5,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enguarde22 View Post
    I'm about to make some people very happy. Found this in DC Comics October solicitations:

    ABSOLUTE WONDER WOMAN BY BRIAN AZZARELLO AND CLIFF CHIANG VOL. 1 HC

    Written by Brian Azzarello, art by Cliff Chiang, Tony Akins, Dan Green, Kano, cover by Cliff Chiang.

    In these tales from the start of DC -- The New 52, Wonder Woman learns that Queen Hippolyta has kept a secret from her daughter all her life -- and when Diana learns who her father is, her life will shatter like brittle clay. The only one more shocked than Diana by this revelation? Bloodthirsty Hera -- so why is her sinister daughter, Strife, so eager for the truth to be told? This Absolute edition collects Wonder Woman #1-18 and #0.

    484 pages, $125, in stores on Feb. 1.
    I was expecting an omnibus too but since it only gonna be 2 absolutes I will probably get it (not a fan of 4 or more volume absolutes, it's just too big of a commitment and too much shelfspace).

  13. #9808
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enguarde22 View Post
    I'm about to make some people very happy. Found this in DC Comics October solicitations:

    ABSOLUTE WONDER WOMAN BY BRIAN AZZARELLO AND CLIFF CHIANG VOL. 1 HC

    Written by Brian Azzarello, art by Cliff Chiang, Tony Akins, Dan Green, Kano, cover by Cliff Chiang.

    In these tales from the start of DC -- The New 52, Wonder Woman learns that Queen Hippolyta has kept a secret from her daughter all her life -- and when Diana learns who her father is, her life will shatter like brittle clay. The only one more shocked than Diana by this revelation? Bloodthirsty Hera -- so why is her sinister daughter, Strife, so eager for the truth to be told? This Absolute edition collects Wonder Woman #1-18 and #0.

    484 pages, $125, in stores on Feb. 1.
    There were rumours of this floating around at the end of last week after DCs sigle issue solicitations were leaked early but I was holding out for the full solicitations before I started celebrating. I still can't find the collected editions solicits anywhere yet you mind sharing a link?

  14. #9809
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Sure, right here. I like to kind of keep the site on the down low as they usually put stuff up a few hours early.

  15. #9810
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    2,450

    Default

    Aw hell. I hate multi-volume absolutes. That price is ridiculous. Worst part is I know I'll buy it.
    Cyclops was right

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •