View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 660 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1605606106506566576586596606616626636646707107601160 ... LastLast
Results 9,886 to 9,900 of 21670
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    While I'm happy for all those interested in all the Golden/Silver Age Omni's DC is producing, it is quite frustrating when everything i seem to be interested in gets a put into trades instead I wish DC would take more chances with late 80's/90's/modern stuff that aren't Johns or Morrison related.
    Yep. If they inverted their tendencies (older trades, newer Omnis) I'd be buying a hell of a lot more of their books.
    Cyclops was right

I want to DC to speed up and get through the golden age I want a few silver age Superman trades.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

This Golden Age Batman omnibus 3 only takes us to 1944? Wow. Does that mean it will take 6 to even get to 1950? That's kind of crazy. I hope they can at least get that far.

[QUOTE=Eddy82;2188216]As someone on the Masterworks forum already mentioned, the Supergirl Bronze age book is listed as a trade, but has a massive content, like 30+ issues or something.

Supergirl: The Bronze Age Vol. 1 TP
    ADVENTURE COMICS #397-402 and 404-424, SUPERGIRL #1-11 and SUPERMAN FAMILY #165

Maybe it is gonna be the same as with the release of her Silver Age omnibus, which was listed as a trade when it first showed on Amazon. You should think the won't make the same mistake twice, but I pre-orderd it, just to be sure [/QUOTEand I have a feeling that the Batman and the outsiders hc will be downgraded to a TPB.

[QUOTE=Balakin;2189371]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post
    As someone on the Masterworks forum already mentioned, the Supergirl Bronze age book is listed as a trade, but has a massive content, like 30+ issues or something.

Supergirl: The Bronze Age Vol. 1 TP
    ADVENTURE COMICS #397-402 and 404-424, SUPERGIRL #1-11 and SUPERMAN FAMILY #165

Maybe it is gonna be the same as with the release of her Silver Age omnibus, which was listed as a trade when it first showed on Amazon. You should think the won't make the same mistake twice, but I pre-orderd it, just to be sure [/QUOTEand I have a feeling that the Batman and the outsiders hc will be downgraded to a TPB.
    Not sure if it's that big. Weren't the Supergirl stories in Adventure Comics back up ones? That would mean these are 8-10 pages, not 20/22.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    This Golden Age Batman omnibus 3 only takes us to 1944? Wow. Does that mean it will take 6 to even get to 1950? That's kind of crazy. I hope they can at least get that far.
    Yeah, here's hoping. They really pumped out a TON of Superman and Batman stories in the Golden Age, which makes collecting it all a big proposition (but I'm really glad they're trying!).

Roy Thomas, in the All-Star Companion volume 4, listed the number of issues with solo (i.e., non-JSA) stories starring each JSAer from their debuts to the end of the Golden Age in 1951; and no surprise, Superman and Batman dwarf the others:

Superman (276)
    Batman (265)
    Wonder Woman (179)
    The Flash (170)
    Green Lantern (157)
    Hawkman (108)
    Johnny Thunder (97)
    Wildcat (93)
    Doctor Mid-Nite (81)
    The Sandman (74)
    The Atom (71)
    Mister Terrific (63)
    The Spectre (52)
    Doctor Fate (43)
    Starman (42)
    The Red Tornado (40)
    Hourman (39)
    Black Canary (19)

That list isn't perfect (for starters, Batman cameo'd in more of Robin's solo stories in Star-Spangled Comics than Roy mentions, so his number may actually be higher than Superman's), but it's good for giving a scope of just how much Golden Age material there is to collect. (And how ashamed Rex Tyler should be for having fewer GA appearances than Ma Hunkel...)

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Yeah, here's hoping. They really pumped out a TON of Superman and Batman stories in the Golden Age, which makes collecting it all a big proposition (but I'm really glad they're trying!).

Roy Thomas, in the All-Star Companion volume 4, listed the number of issues with solo (i.e., non-JSA) stories starring each JSAer from their debuts to the end of the Golden Age in 1951; and no surprise, Superman and Batman dwarf the others:

Superman (276)
    Batman (265)
    Wonder Woman (179)
    The Flash (170)
    Green Lantern (157)
    Hawkman (108)
    Johnny Thunder (97)
    Wildcat (93)
    Doctor Mid-Nite (81)
    The Sandman (74)
    The Atom (71)
    Mister Terrific (63)
    The Spectre (52)
    Doctor Fate (43)
    Starman (42)
    The Red Tornado (40)
    Hourman (39)
    Black Canary (19)

That list isn't perfect (for starters, Batman cameo'd in more of Robin's solo stories in Star-Spangled Comics than Roy mentions, so his number may actually be higher than Superman's), but it's good for giving a scope of just how much Golden Age material there is to collect. (And how ashamed Rex Tyler should be for having fewer GA appearances than Ma Hunkel...)
    Wow. That's . . . wow. I wonder if Batman and Superman are in more or less solo stories these days over the same number of years?

I haven't read any Golden Age stories other than the first half of the first Superman omnibus and the entire first Batman omnibus. Superman started off really strong with the social crusader angle but then that gets put aside and soon every plot has a scenario where the bad guys plan for facing Superman, but then it turns out Superman is even more super than they had anticipated him being so he foils their plan and takes them to jail. Surprise! Bet you didn't know I could do THAT! & etc, etc. At that point it was just mind-numbingly dumb rather than charming so I gave up. Batman, on the other hand, was awesome all the way through. Yeah the tone of the stories changes to less adult as it goes on but it's still really entertaining. Actually I think the only dumb story in the book has a scientist use a machine to send Batman and Robin to a fairytale land to rescue his daughter. It was just noticeably poor and tonally off. Wonder what fill-in writer wrote that one, haha.

I found really good deals on a few Golden Age Archives and bought them last week (they're not here yet): Black Canary, Hawkman, Starman, and both Robin volumes. I figure these won't get omnibuses ever or even trades anytime soon so they're a safe buy. Should be interesting reads.

I think all of JSA (All Star Comics) got Archived, and could probably fit into three omnibuses if DC wanted. Don't know how good any of the material is but I'd totally buy that. Seems like a good candidate to be re-collected.

Anyone read any other Golden Age stuff and want to share some thoughts? Green Lantern, Flash, Doctor Fate, Spectre, Seven Soldiers, etc?

Superman (276)
    Batman (265)
    Wonder Woman (179)
    The Flash (170)
    Green Lantern (157)
    Hawkman (108)
    Johnny Thunder (97)
    Wildcat (93)
    Doctor Mid-Nite (81)
    The Sandman (74)
    The Atom (71)
    Mister Terrific (63)
    The Spectre (52)
    Doctor Fate (43)
    Starman (42)
    The Red Tornado (40)
    Hourman (39)
    Black Canary (19)

Wow, that's a massive drop in numbers from Batman to Wonder Woman. Even Flash to Green Lantern to Hawkman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Wow, that's a massive drop in numbers from Batman to Wonder Woman. Even Flash to Green Lantern to Hawkman.
    Yeah, there's really kind of three tiers to DC's Golden Age characters. In the first tier, obviously, are Superman and Batman (and Robin). They each headlined an anthology title (Action/Detective), and had their own solo title, and appeared in World's Finest for the bulk of the Golden Age. (Plus, due to their popularity, their books switched sooner from quarterly to bi-monthly, then to monthly.)

The second tier was Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern, each of whom headlined an anthology title (Sensation/Flash/All-American), and had their own solo title, and appeared in Comics Cavalcade... but unlike World's Finest, Comics Cavalcade only lasted 29 issues before changing to a funny animal book (and was always quarterly, never making the switch to bi-monthly or monthly).

Then the third tier is everyone else, none of whom had a solo book (Hawkman supposedly came close) but appeared regularly in anthology titles, usually headlined by more popular characters. Their number of appearances was partially dictated by popularity, as well as when they appeared (Black Canary looks unpopular, until you remember she didn't appear until 1948 or so as a Johnny Thunder supporting character, and eventually took over the strip) and how popular was the headliner of the anthology title.

TL;DR - Superman and Batman are the 1%.
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 07-25-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    And DC is still putting out trades 4-6 months behind, which is going to make catching up with a biweekly series almost impossible. Anyone get the feeling that whoever runs DC collections is kind of incompetent?
    I dont think it's fair to say, as we dont know what management structure exists that may be telling them they cant do X or that Y wont sale and so on. Certainly, as with digital content, DC do appear to just be years behind trend.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    While I'm happy for all those interested in all the Golden/Silver Age Omni's DC is producing, it is quite frustrating when everything i seem to be interested in gets a put into trades instead I wish DC would take more chances with late 80's/90's/modern stuff that aren't Johns or Morrison related.
    Yeah, this. I have no interest in Golden Age stuff, and only in some of the Silver Age stuff for camp value. It's a shame they have made the decision to do things chronologically rather than mix and match and do a mix of Golden/Silver/Bronze age stuff.

Their approach to collecting modern runs is truly shocking, and something they only need to look at what Marvel are doing to see how they are simply throwing money away at this point.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Incredible Member

Just cancelled my $45 preorder for the Rebirth Omnibus.... Mainly because it no longer includes the actual 80-Page Rebirth one-shot since for some stupid reason that's getting its own "deluxe collector's edition"

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I wish that Supergirl: Bronze Age was going to be an Omnibus instead of a paperback.
    However, I recall that's how Amazon first listed the SG: Silver Age Omni. So either Amazon got it wrong in their initial listing or DC upgraded it...wonder which is the case and will that possibly repeat itself?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Yeah, this. I have no interest in Golden Age stuff, and only in some of the Silver Age stuff for camp value. It's a shame they have made the decision to do things chronologically rather than mix and match and do a mix of Golden/Silver/Bronze age stuff.
    They are doing some Bronze Age stuff, though -- the Brave and the Bold omnibus is solicited for early next year, and you can bet there'll be others if that does well.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Their approach to collecting modern runs is truly shocking, and something they only need to look at what Marvel are doing to see how they are simply throwing money away at this point.
    I'm no expert, but I would speculate that both demographics and availability of the material play into things. Let's face it, omnibuses aren't cheap and (at least in theory, if not always in practice) they're built to last and to look good on a shelf -- your target market is older collectors with a decent amount of disposable income, and who may already own a lot of Bronze and Modern Age material in other formats. Plus, most comics from the Bronze Age through today can be found pretty easily online or at cons, and in many cases won't cost you an arm and a leg. Or if you're not married to having a physical copy, most of them are available for digital purchase.

Whereas Golden Age comics are very hard to get ahold for any kind of reasonable price, and even if you can, it's so old and expensive that you're probably not taking it out to read it. And it's probably the least available era, digitally speaking. So DC may see a market for well-constructed, nice books for older collectors, and (rightly or wrongly) believe that the same market isn't there for more modern runs.

But hey, I'm just speculating... could be wrong. For myself, I love Golden Age comics but have next to no interest in the Silver Age, and only some Bronze Age titles. Different strokes n' all.

For myself, I love Golden Age comics but have next to no interest in the Silver Age, and only some Bronze Age titles. Different strokes n' all.
    I'm with you 100%. For me it's Gold and Post-Crisis, with a smattering of Silver and Bronze, mostly just Superman Family (including Legion). For me if it's not related to Superman or written by John Broome the SA of DC leaves me cold.

Even the Superman stuff I read at a casual pace no binging.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    why isn't the Swampy omnibus the Moore run? Come on DC!
    Probably gonna get it though.

And I'm soooo getting the Batman and the outsiders hc!!! (and setting that goddamn Showcase on fire as soon as the hc arrives)
    My thoughts exactly! I'm curious about the beginnings but rather have Moore Run (of course) or after Moore (Rick Veitch, Doug Wheeler, Nancy A. Collins, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Brian K. Vaughan)