View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 681 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1815816316716776786796806816826836846856917317811181 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,215 of 21672

Didn't realize Absolute Justice went OOP/OOS, but it seems to be going cheap still, so I snagged that for 50. And Superman Red Son deluxe prices have really fallen off, picked that up for 15. A lot of books have gone/started to go OOP/OOS(not just DC) without me noticing. Gotta stay on top of this ish.

Also, started Gotham Central omnibus and wowza, I've been missing out.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCJdog View Post
    I've got on it on my "buy" list. I am a fan of that period.

Funny story: I grew mostly on Marvel in the 80's but when my son started watching the original Teen Titans Go (not the present goofy one), I was hooked and so I went and bought all of the original Teen Titans Wolfman/Perez run. I actually look forward to reading something that Perez both draw and wrote. I love Wolfman but he's a bit . . . "wordy."
    Wonder Woman is his best art ever. It's just astonishing, every single page.

Stories are really solid too. Although it's all invented, he manages to make the origins of DC's Amazons feel like authentic Greek myth, tragedy (and uncomfortable sexual liaisons) included.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    The only omnibuses from the Post-Crisis, Pre-Flashpoint era with bad bindings are Hawkman and Brightest Day. Hawkman has a very very tight binding and Brightest Day tends to fall apart. The Geoff Johns Flash omnibus vol 1 also has a less than ideal binding (though is perfectly readable), but that one is out of print anyway.

The largest book is Teen Titans by Geoff Johns. Personally I'm not bothered by large books so I can't offer an opinion on whether it's too unwieldy. I devoured it comfortably and eagerly.

Buy the George Perez Wonder Woman omnibus next. You'll thank me.
    Not DC continuity but the Loeg omni has a horrible binding too although it's longoing oop.

The only omnibuses from the Post-Crisis, Pre-Flashpoint era with bad bindings are Hawkman and Brightest Day. Hawkman has a very very tight binding and Brightest Day tends to fall apart. The Geoff Johns Flash omnibus vol 1 also has a less than ideal binding (though is perfectly readable), but that one is out of print anyway.

The largest book is Teen Titans by Geoff Johns. Personally I'm not bothered by large books so I can't offer an opinion on whether it's too unwieldy. I devoured it comfortably and eagerly.

Buy the George Perez Wonder Woman omnibus next. You'll thank me.
    That Teen Titans is a great read but I think the Invisibles omnibus has it beat in size.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Didn't realize Absolute Justice went OOP/OOS, but it seems to be going cheap still, so I snagged that for 50. And Superman Red Son deluxe prices have really fallen off, picked that up for 15. A lot of books have gone/started to go OOP/OOS(not just DC) without me noticing. Gotta stay on top of this ish.

Also, started Gotham Central omnibus and wowza, I've been missing out.
    $15 for Red Son?! And for a deluxe version too?? Wowza, I need to get this.

Gotham Central is brilliant. I'm seeing that they're going to start reprinting the trades, for those who don't want the Omni. Although, I'm not a big fan of Omni's, but GC was certainty something that needs to be read in this format.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    That Teen Titans is a great read but I think the Invisibles omnibus has it beat in size.
    Crap, you're right. 1536 pages to 1426. The Teen Titans looks bigger on the shelf but that's deceptive. Haven't tried to read Invisibles yet. Too much backlog.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Not DC continuity but the Loeg omni has a horrible binding too although it's longoing oop.
    True. I traded up to the Absolutes because of it. Slipped my mind because it isn't on my shelf anymore. I'd definitely get the standard sized hardcovers, the paperback version of the omnibus, or save up for the Absolutes (only Vol 1 is out of print but it's not too expensive last I checked) rather than buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I think you may have inadvertently gotten a softcover. There's a newer softcover printing some sellers list as a Deluxe version for unknown reasons. Hope I'm wrong and you got a sweet deal though.

So I just inadvertently discovered something interesting. I'm doing a first time read through of Giffen's Justice League International / Ostrander's Suicide Squad / Byrne's Superman (AWESOME weekend btw), and I found out I apparently really need the Invasion! crossover trade or I'll miss a bunch of important story elements for each of these series. So after a bit of grumbling at paying full retail for something I could get online for half off, reasoning that my time is valuable too and losing the chance to get some reading in wasn't worth the few dollars I'd save waiting to get it delivered to my door, I went to my LCS to pick it up. And my LCS had two versions:

One, a first printing of the trade from 2008, with a cover price of $24.99.

And the other, a new printing from 2016, with a cover price of $19.99!

Has this EVER happened before, to anyone's knowledge? A NEW printing of an OLD trade with a LOWER cover price? And almost a decade later, too?

(In case anyone's wondering, the paper in the new version sucks, but it wasn't really any better in the old version. Certainly not enough to pay $5 extra for!)

(Oh, and to do this JLI/SS/Superman reading right, you really need the Legends and Deadshot Beginnings trades, too. But I was prepared with those. Skipped Millennium though & so far it's no big deal).
    Last edited by The Flicker Fade; 08-27-2016 at 07:14 PM.

I've been starting to read through Giffen's JLI and I am wondering why some of the trades are so expensive. Was there a short run on them or something? I would like to read through them all but vol. 5 is $50 on Amazon. I've looked elsewhere but have not found anything cheaper. I am going to buy "Breakdowns" when it comes out. Does anyone think that these trades might be released later?

The JLI trades are really crap quality (especially #2), and they never finished collecting it all. New collections would be most welcome. DC has started to solicit a bunch of trades from the later part of the run (still leaving a gap though), so if they sell adequately I think there's a chance they'll go back to the start and finally give it the collection it deserves.

I found vols 1-4 at a used bookstore but had to pay full cover for 5 & 6 at a comic shop. As far as trades are concerned, in my experience you can usually find anything that's expensive online out in the wild for cover or less, eventually. Still haven't found an Avengers Trial of Yellowjacket trade yet, but everything else from Nova to Vengeance of Moon Knight to Stephanie Brown Batgirl to Kyle Rayner Ion to John Byrne Superman #4 that I've wanted but couldn't get online for a reasonable price, I've found and usually for half off. Even Daredevil Fall of the Kingpin, the old 90s trade, in perfect condition for $10.

Well, that's not true. I did find a Trial of Yellowjacket once but balked at paying $40 for a trade. Went back a few days later figuring I could always resell it if I didn't think it was worth the money after I'd read it, but it was gone. Ah well. The hunt continues. I'll spear it at $20 someday. Probably as soon as it's announced as an Epic.

The JLI trades are really crap quality (especially #2), and they never finished collecting it all. New collections would be most welcome. DC has started to solicit a bunch of trades from the later part of the run (still leaving a gap though), so if they sell adequately I think there's a chance they'll go back to the start and finally give it the collection it deserves.

I found vols 1-4 at a used bookstore but had to pay full cover for 5 & 6 at a comic shop. As far as trades are concerned, in my experience you can usually find anything that's expensive online out in the wild for cover or less, eventually. Still haven't found an Avengers Trial of Yellowjacket trade yet, but everything else from Nova to Vengeance of Moon Knight to Stephanie Brown Batgirl to Kyle Rayner Ion to John Byrne Superman #4 that I've wanted but couldn't get online for a reasonable price, I've found and usually for half off. Even Daredevil Fall of the Kingpin, the old 90s trade, in perfect condition for $10.

Well, that's not true. I did find a Trial of Yellowjacket once but balked at paying $40 for a trade. Went back a few days later figuring I could always resell it if I didn't think it was worth the money after I'd read it, but it was gone. Ah well. The hunt continues. I'll spear it at $20 someday. Probably as soon as it's announced as an Epic.
    I was not aware that Kyle Rayner Ion was rare! I should get it before its too late! The Stephanie Brown Batgirl trades are uber rare. Lucky you for finding them!

I was not aware that Kyle Rayner Ion was rare! I should get it before its too late! The Stephanie Brown Batgirl trades are uber rare. Lucky you for finding them!

Yeah, it's been rare for years. Great story, tho. Winnick gets a lot of crap, but he really wrote a great run on GL.

Gotham Central is brilliant. I'm seeing that they're going to start reprinting the trades, for those who don't want the Omni. Although, I'm not a big fan of Omni's, but GC was certainty something that needs to be read in this format.

I think you may have inadvertently gotten a softcover. There's a newer softcover printing some sellers list as a Deluxe version for unknown reasons. Hope I'm wrong and you got a sweet deal though.
    It's entirely possibly they listed it incorrectly. I should be getting it int he mail soon and we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yeah, it's been rare for years. Great story, tho. Winnick gets a lot of crap, but he really wrote a great run on GL.
    How many volumes were there for the entire series??

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    It's entirely possibly they listed it incorrectly. I should be getting it int he mail soon and we'll see
    I remember it bring close to $30 for the TP, which is why I haven't picked it up.

How many volumes were there for the entire series??

Not sure. Heck, I'm not sure if they collected his whole run in tpb. He was on the series for years, though.

There are two Ion trades: Vol 1 is titled The Torchbearer and vol 2 is The Dying Flame. The first one isn't hard to get but the second one is.

These are a post-Green Lantern Rebirth Kyle Rayner series, once Hal has returned to the starring role. Part of the larger pre-N52 Green Lantern saga Geoff Johns was spearheading.

There are two Ion trades: Vol 1 is titled The Torchbearer and vol 2 is The Dying Flame. The first one isn't hard to get but the second one is.

These are a post-Green Lantern Rebirth Kyle Rayner series, once Hal has returned to the starring role. Part of the larger pre-N52 Green Lantern saga Geoff Johns was spearheading.
    Ah, I've never seen the second one. That explains why its rare.