View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 69 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273791191695691069 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 21672
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    All Star Batman holds a special place in my heart. Its awesome and hilarious in equal measure. It borders on self-parody half the time.

And the scene where Dick Grayson beats and almost kills someone (can't work out what the spoiler tags are here so I wont say who it is) is one of the greatest parts of the entire book.

I'm not picking up the Absolute yet due to a lack of suitable shelf space but when thats rectified it'll be near the top of my shopping list.
    Quote Originally Posted by stilgar20 View Post
    Hell of a sales pitch. I was on the fence before but after seeing this post I will place my order today. If nothing else I can enjoy the amazing Jim Lee art.
    Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Okay, you guys sold me on the god damn Batman. Which just made this week a record holder for new releases for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    Tell me about it.. this should be an interesting upcoming week for my mail carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I ordered it. By the way, CGN says it only collects 1-9 and Amazon says 1-10.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedNave View Post
    Laughing at how AWESOME it is!
    Just picked up ASBAR, I can confirm it has all 10 issues going by the blurb on the back. Photos and (full) confirmation will come when I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wallace View Post
    Thanks for the pics - exactly what I was coming here to look for.

My copy should be arriving from Speedyhen in the next couple of days.
    Really thought I would be alone in purchasing this, so glad I'm not

The world needs bad men RedNave's Avatar

So issue 10 is defiantly included, a picture of the contents is a few posts down. If anyone has any requests, let me know.

Covers:

The title page:

Last edited by RedNave; 07-02-2014 at 10:35 AM.

The fold-out, it's massive:

Well that was a nightmare to try and take a picture of.
    Last edited by RedNave; 07-02-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Random internal shots:

Extras:

1. The Special Edition, which is issue 1 with the script and original Jim Lee pencil's.

2. Promotional art:
    Last edited by RedNave; 07-02-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Contents:

And finally, In Absolute size:

Last edited by RedNave; 07-02-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Contents:

And finally, In Absolute size:
    Nice. I decided today that I'm adding this to my collection. I just wish they'd re-write the 'goddamn' parts in the later issues (which is Miller being childish IMO) and continue with the book the way it was originally intended. But, as it stands, the art is still beautiful and the writing still has some value as a could've-been classic.

[edit] Although if they did continue with the series, I don't know if Lee's art would still be good enough next to this, which was him at his finest. His Superman Unchained work is very uninspired and forgettable IMO.
    Last edited by ohmshalone; 07-02-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Random internal shots:

Looks like a lot of gutter loss. Is this binding tighter than other absolutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Looks like a lot of gutter loss. Is this binding tighter than other absolutes?
    Nah, it's just the angle I took it at, I was fighting with some pretty bad glare from the window. The binding is the quite the opposite of tight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Nice. I decided today that I'm adding this to my collection. I just wish they'd re-write the 'goddamn' parts in the later issues (which is Miller being childish IMO) and continue with the book the way it was originally intended. But, as it stands, the art is still beautiful and the writing still has some value as a could've-been classic.
    The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again and Grant Morrison's Batman: Arkham Asylum had uncensored cuss words. What happened to freedom of speech? :b

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again and Grant Morrison's Batman: Arkham Asylum had uncensored cuss words. What happened to freedom of speech? :b
    Mmmm...that could be sarcasm, but in case it isn't, here's my peeve with ASBAR explained: I don't want censorship, I want the writer's original script [edit: or more accurately: his original intention]. He seemed to take the "goddamn" thing a bit too personally and started putting it in many issues after the first. There's even one ballon where that word comes up about 5 times. I don't think that was Miller's original intention. He felt burned IMO because the internet didn't treat it like another classic, and I think the run suffered because of it.

That's all I'll say about that. I don't want to sound like a broken record. It's just sad, is what it is.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

BANNED

Frank Miller has faced critism and praise his entire career. TDKR was panned by numerous critics originally, Alan Moore was making fun of Daredevil, etc. Frank Miller doesn't care what you think about him, he writes what he god damn wants to write. :b

The god damn joke is even thrown in Holy Terror haha.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Mmmm...that could be sarcasm, but in case it isn't, here's my peeve with ASBAR explained: I don't want censorship, I want the writer's original script [edit: or more accurately: his original intention]. He seemed to take the "goddamn" thing a bit too personally and started putting it in many issues after the first. There's even one ballon where that word comes up about 5 times. I don't think that was Miller's original intention. He felt burned IMO because the internet didn't treat it like another classic, and I think the run suffered because of it.

That's all I'll say about that. I don't want to sound like a broken record. It's just sad, is what it is.
    Miller changed the story of Dark Knight Strikes Again when 9/11 happened a third of the way through writing it. Original intentions don't matter, they don't exist. What matters is what the artist creates. Even if you feel it was disappointing that Miller decided to include a bit of self-referential humor, it's Miller's expression. To say DC should rewrite the dialog to fit with what you presume to be Miller's original intentions is censorship.

Wow I'd forgotten how good Jim Lees artwork was in ASBAR, definitely keeping an eye out for a deal on that.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Wow I'd forgotten how good Jim Lees artwork was in ASBAR, definitely keeping an eye out for a deal on that.
    Yeah, it's possibly his best ever.

Although I have to make an exception for that "Batman on the roof" spread that was posted above. The pose is, as Stan Lee and John Buscema put it, weak and it has always bugged me.