View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 71 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475811211715711071 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    I just love this image. It's so Millers Batman.
    Yes it is pretty brilliant IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNave View Post
    I prefer them now when they don't have the dustjacket, I found them to be too much of a hassle.
    They might be a hassle, but let's be realistic here, DC has stopped using dustjackets just to save a few bucks. I'm just mentioning it because when I buy 310-pages book for $100 cover price, I want it to have as much production value as possible, even if it's a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Yeah, this week was insane. All those titles plus the Thanos Rising and Harbinger Wars HCs for me. To make matters worse, I'm also a film buff. And Barnes & Noble's annual July Criterion Collection sale started today. So on top of the books, I bought 6 months worth of still-pricey wishlist blurays. My wallet is officially defeated.
    With you on that one, pal. Made a few trips to B&N already, while my books are arriving in the mail.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Dc just announced that Lemire's/Sorrentino's run on Green arrow will end with #35. If you add #23.1 that's 20 issues, enough for an omnibus? It's one big story and great art and story. I'd love that one oversized
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    They might be a hassle, but let's be realistic here, DC has stopped using dustjackets just to save a few bucks. I'm just mentioning it because when I buy 310-pages book for $100 cover price, I want it to have as much production value as possible, even if it's a hassle.
    dust jackets used to be disposable plain white paper that you would discard like we do with shrinkwrap today. But then they became a part of the book as well as a means of protecting it. Now here's the thing, anyone who cares enough about the condition of a book to want a dust jacket is probably anal enough to want to protect the DJ too, and they are even harder to protect than the hardcover since they're so fragile, so what's the point? I'd prefer to not have them just so I have one less thing to worry about. I do like how you can have art on the DJ that is different from the cover art of the book, but most of the time when DC produces a book with a DJ the cover is just black cardboard anyway.

Now, when you're talking about absolutes I think it depends of the book, for instance long Halloween has no DJ and I think that's appropriate. It suits the minimalist art style and goes along with the matte paper they chose. Same with big damn sin city which I don't think has a DJ although I might be wrong.
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 07-03-2014 at 10:24 AM.

^ Exactly! A slipcase can actually damage a dustjacket more than anything else.

I know the pros and cons of a dustjacket, I just can't help thinking that DC is just trying to save a few bucks by not putting them in its latest Absolutes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Dc just announced that Lemire's/Sorrentino's run on Green arrow will end with #35. If you add #23.1 that's 20 issues, enough for an omnibus? It's one big story and great art and story. I'd love that one oversized
    + DC, please, make an oversized Sweet Tooth HC

Spectacular Member

I hate those half dust jackets or 1/3 sized dust jackets. The hardcover of American FLagg came with one and the damn thing tore up within short order. What's the point of these incomplete pieces of paper wrapped around the book? But now every time I look at AF, I see an incomplete, imperfect book. My relatives, when I die, will put it on Ebay and describe it as "damage" or "missing dustjacket" and you know that none of you will bid on it (in case you were looking for one). And somebody will sneak in and grab it for fifteen or ten bucks thinking "well, at least I'll have the story for a reasonable price."

Dustjackets are just a way to get you feel bad about your collection and to go out and buy new copies.
    trying to be nicer

So in other words, Green Arrow is going back to sucking again???? That's too bad. Lemire's run was the best - and arguably decent - run in five, six years.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    So in other words, Green Arrow is going back to sucking again???? That's too bad. Lemire's run was the best - and arguably decent - run in five, six years.
    Yeah, it sucks big time. GA and WW were Dc's best titles and they ruined them with changes. GA will be taken over by 2 arrow writers (*insert sarcastic yeah here*). Deathstroke will also be relaunched (YESS!) but written by Tony Daniels (crap). I'm scared out of my mind that they'll announce tomorrow that Soule will leave Swamp Thing and Pak will leave Action Comics
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Yeah, it sucks big time. GA and WW were Dc's best titles and they ruined them with changes. GA will be taken over by 2 arrow writers (*insert sarcastic yeah here*). Deathstroke will also be relaunched (YESS!) but written by Tony Daniels (crap). I'm scared out of my mind that they'll announce tomorrow that Soule will leave Swamp Thing and Pak will leave Action Comics

Don't say that!!!!

I was prepared for Azz leaving WW, so that doesn't bother me as much as GA, which caught me by surprise. I'll drop the title once Lemire leaves. Actually, I'm dropping WW once Azz leaves, too, now that I think about it.

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Now, when you're talking about absolutes I think it depends of the book, for instance long Halloween has no DJ and I think that's appropriate. It suits the minimalist art style and goes along with the matte paper they chose. Same with big damn sin city which I don't think has a DJ although I might be wrong.
    I was so happy when I got my copy of Big Damn Sin City and found that it had no dust jacket. I think not having a DJ on an absolute is actually a good thing, the top and bottom of them tend to get a little worn from taking the book in and out of the slipcase.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Gordon View Post
    I was so happy when I got my copy of Big Damn Sin City and found that it had no dust jacket. I think not having a DJ on an absolute is actually a good thing, the top and bottom of them tend to get a little worn from taking the book in and out of the slipcase.
    Yeah, having a slipcase AND a dustjacket is overkill, really.

Anyway, my Absolute ASBARTBW arrived yesterday from Speedyhen, and it's great. A nicely put-together book, and for just £31.25 one of the cheapest Absolutes I've ever bought.

Nah, don't worry... it's sales who are going to kill that book.