View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 713 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2136136637037097107117127137147157167177237638131213 ... LastLast
Results 10,681 to 10,695 of 21662

I used to use comic shops but honestly your basically throwing away money unless your getting an old out of print book or something massively reduced. First I went mail order then I went digital. I couldn't deal with paying full price for an omni. It's like giving away $50 or so. Think of all the comics that would have bought.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Do you guys think "Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus" Will lead to a 2nd Omnibus volume with Martin Pasko, Dan Mishkin and 1st Alan Moore issues like it's happening with JL, Superman, Green Lantern, ...?
    I hope those stories get reprinted at some point. While Pasko is no Moore, his ST stories are good enough to be collected.
    Also include The Brave and the Bold #176. Batman goes to the swamps in search of Selina Kyle's sister and gets help from Swampy
    which was written by Pasko with Jim Aparo art under a beautiful Kaluta Cover.
    Also the backup stories with The Phantom Stranger should be collected somewhere.

Check out BACK ISSUE #92. There is an Interview with Pasko and Yeates about their ST run.
    Last edited by signalman112; 10-13-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I hope those stories get reprinted at some point. While Pasko is no Moore, his ST stories are good enough to be collected.
    Also include The Brave and the Bold #176. Batman goes to the swamps in search of Selina Kyle's sister and gets help from Swampy
    which was written by Pasko with Jim Aparo art under a beautiful Kaluta Cover.
    Also the backup stories with The Phantom Stranger should be collected somewhere.

Check out BACK ISSUE #92. There is an Interview with Pasko and Yeates about their ST run.
    Pasko's run wasn't terrible, but I really couldn't get into it. The first few issues are good, and then around issue #4-13 its pretty bland. The last few issues are solid, albeit extremely wordy and kind of messy. The Phantom Stranger back ups feel very Silver Age to me, which isn't bad, its just not what I expected.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    My problem with that is, I want to support my LCS as well. So maybe 15% of my major purchases will be through my LCS, rather than online. But half the time I go, they didn't order it, so I walk out empty handed. That is the most frustrating thing for me. When I went to get the Gotham.Central Omni they didn't have it. I would've paid full price for it if they had it. They have to know the internet is offering me much better deals, at least order the new books out that week.
    My LCS has what i really want so rearly so when i go, i go with the plan of grabing something, anything HC on the shelf... lol so i don't feel bad and rude... lol

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I would hardly consider that rude, let alone extremely. I get what everyone is saying, but if you think about it we walk into shops all the time without making purchases, especially at the mall or something. Shoe stores, music stores, etc just to see what's new or on sale. There should never be expectations to buy from the retailer or the consumer.
    it's ok at other stores but it's not ok to buy nothing when you go to a comic book store. You are The Comic Book Guy. I mean they need your support, if you don't buy anything who is gonna buy anything ? they depend on you, if you don't buy anything as a comics book guy, and the other comic book guy doesn't buy anything the light of hope in their eyes will die... lol and they are gonna close the store... and as a comic book guy, you don't want that to happen. You want them to succeed and that will happen, only if you give your support like the fellow comics book guy so you have to buy something when you go there... lol
    Last edited by Batarang; 10-14-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    My LCS has what i really want so rearly so when i go, i go with the plan of grabing something, anything HC on the shelf... lol so i don't feel bad and rude... lol

it's ok at other stores but it's not ok to buy nothing when you go to a comic book store. You are The Comic Book Guy. I mean they need your support, if you don't buy anything who is gonna buy anything ? they depend on you, if you don't buy anything as a comics book guy, and the other comic book guy doesn't buy anything the light of hope in their eyes will die... lol and they are gonna close the store... and as a comic book guy, you don't want that to happen. You want them to succeed and that will happen, only if you give your support like the fellow comics book guy so you have to buy something when you go there... lol
    it doesn't matter if you are the CBG, this is business. If they don't have what I want I won't buy from them. If I think that particular shop is worth my money because I think the city need an LCS or the guy/girl at the counter is cure or whatever, then fine, I will buy something but just because we are into the same hobby I shouldn't feel obligated to spend my money.
    The comic book industry repeatedly blackmails the readers, if not with the "buy the single issues or the title will be cancelled" slogan then the "support the little guy, shop at your LCS" thing.
    And I get it, we should support the little guy but if the little guy doesn't have what I want? It's simple supply and demand.
    Also by that logic the LCS owner should go to the place where you work to support you so you can support him?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    it doesn't matter if you are the CBG, this is business. If they don't have what I want I won't buy from them. If I think that particular shop is worth my money because I think the city need an LCS or the guy/girl at the counter is cure or whatever, then fine, I will buy something but just because we are into the same hobby I shouldn't feel obligated to spend my money.
    The comic book industry repeatedly blackmails the readers, if not with the "buy the single issues or the title will be cancelled" slogan then the "support the little guy, shop at your LCS" thing.
    And I get it, we should support the little guy but if the little guy doesn't have what I want? It's simple supply and demand.
    Also by that logic the LCS owner should go to the place where you work to support you so you can support him?
    I agree. I want to support my LCS because the guys who run it are really cool,.laid back easy to talk to and I treating to talk to. I knew a few employees well.enough wed talk for a long time catching up week after week. If they were like another shop I know in town, indifferent, in knowledgeable about the comics, and quiet, I wouldn't care about helping them out. At the same time, if they don't have what I want, then why would I buy anything? If I do, its purely to help them out, but if they're consistently not getting what I want week after week, and I can get it cheaper online anyway, then I'll do that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I actually live in a deadzone, the closest shop is about 25 miles away in a direction i never travel. A shop actually just opened last week that's 10 miles away from where I live and a mile down the road from my work, but I haven't had time to stop in.

But the struggle of 45-50% off online vs in store pricing is real...
    That sucks you're in a deadzone. I'm fortunate I have two very good comic book stores in terms of selection, but one of the two has a guy working there that treats customers like crap so I will never spend a dime there so long as he works there. The other store is awesome. But that struggle with such discounts... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2Staples View Post
    Local shops can't compete with the high volume online stores on new books, but I love checking them for deals on used books. About 5 months ago I snagged a near perfect copy, only the top edge of the dust jacket was crinkled a bit, of the Michelinie/McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man omni for $50. I hadn't seen one for less than $150 before that.
    I love getting deals or finding rare or hard to find books at a LCS. I found the Jeremiah v1 hardcover for basically cover price a little while ago in mint condition. It was like finding $100 on the ground.

My problem with that is, I want to support my LCS as well. So maybe 15% of my major purchases will be through my LCS, rather than online. But half the time I go, they didn't order it, so I walk out empty handed. That is the most frustrating thing for me. When I went to get the Gotham.Central Omni they didn't have it. I would've paid full price for it if they had it. They have to know the internet is offering me much better deals, at least order the new books out that week.
    I totally get what you're saying. The one LCS I always go to sometimes doesn't have the omnibuses or library editions ordered. I don't mind if I get there and it's sold out, but to not order at least one copy is frustrating, especially something like the Gotham Central Omni. The fortunate thing is, the owner is very active on Facebook, so now if I want to buy a specific book and I'm worried it might not be there, I just message him two weeks before it's supposed to come out and he makes sure one is on order. But I get your frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I would hardly consider that rude, let alone extremely. I get what everyone is saying, but if you think about it we walk into shops all the time without making purchases, especially at the mall or something. Shoe stores, music stores, etc just to see what's new or on sale. There should never be expectations to buy from the retailer or the consumer.
    That's a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I used to use comic shops but honestly your basically throwing away money unless your getting an old out of print book or something massively reduced. First I went mail order then I went digital. I couldn't deal with paying full price for an omni. It's like giving away $50 or so. Think of all the comics that would have bought.
    I totally see your point. I struggle with it all the time. I'm willing to pay up to a certain point more for each book, but once it gets to that range, I can't justify it. That said, I like to think of the money I spend at a LCS as going back to the community. I'm not gonna lie, it makes me feel good. But I certainly wouldn't chastise someone if all they did was buy online. Their money, their priorities, their life. To each their own.

I agree that the guilt tripping is rude and uncalled for. For me personally, it's about service. It doesn't matter if they come support me at my work. For me, I want to buy books and spend money at their store, I expect good service. If you don't have the book, be willing to order it in for me, then follow through on your promise. Don't make a face when I ask you about a certain book you think is ****, don't scoff when I don't want to buy a damaged book (this is the cost of doing business), don't treat my daughter poorly because she's touching the books (if she damages one, I'll pay for it. Again, it's the cost of doing business), etc. That said, as a consumer, I will hold up my end of the bargain. If you order a book in for me, I'll buy it so long as it's not damaged. I'll also come in at a reasonable time frame to buy it, and not make you hold onto it for a month. I'll give good word of mouth if service is good, good reviews on Yelp, etc. These days, with wages not going up very much in general and inflation causing everything from groceries to books to rent going up, a business has to give me a reason to spend money there. I do my part to help the local economy, but I'm not gonna just give you money just because I'm the comic book guy.
    Last edited by pud333; 10-14-2016 at 10:52 AM.

My problem is I don't Facebook I suppose. I'm sure if I called them and asked, they would do it.. The sad part for me is when I ask them if they ordered whatever, and they so no, they'll reply with a friendly "we can order it for you though". I appreciate the gesture, but again if I'm going to order it anyway....I minus well will get it cheaper online.

At least you gave them the curtsey walk around. You didn't just go in for the hell of it or kill time.
    Ha ha, true. I actually go in looking for a purchase, but if I don't see anything . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Ha ha, true. I actually go in looking for a purchase, but if I don't see anything . . .
    Sure. If nothing catches your eye then what are you expected to do? I think maybe twice this happened I decided to buy a comic as a gift for someone to enjoy. Based on how they didn't say thank you and probably never read it, I'm going to say I don't recommend taking this route.

Incredible Member

My problem is I don't Facebook I suppose. I'm sure if I called them and asked, they would do it.. The sad part for me is when I ask them if they ordered whatever, and they so no, they'll reply with a friendly "we can order it for you though". I appreciate the gesture, but again if I'm going to order it anyway....I minus well will get it cheaper online.
    And probably get it faster too. I get it.

Sure. If nothing catches your eye then what are you expected to do? I think maybe twice this happened I decided to buy a comic as a gift for someone to enjoy. Based on how they didn't say thank you and probably never read it, I'm going to say I don't recommend taking this route.
    Ugh. Yeah this has happened to me twice. I'm never buying comics for someone again unless they specifically ask me for a certain book. A friend of mine's 10 year old asks to read my books every time he's over. I loved comics at his age, so I assumed if he's asking to read my books, he's into it as well. I got him a trade for his birthday. He read it in 10 minutes and chucked it aside. He reads fast and I know he didn't take time to appreciate the art. Turns out he only asks to read my books because he's bored when he comes over and there's nothing to do but read comics. He also just might be a little **** so there's that also. I should have taken the book back because I still have the receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    And probably get it faster too. I get it.

Ugh. Yeah this has happened to me twice. I'm never buying comics for someone again unless they specifically ask me for a certain book. A friend of mine's 10 year old asks to read my books every time he's over. I loved comics at his age, so I assumed if he's asking to read my books, he's into it as well. I got him a trade for his birthday. He read it in 10 minutes and chucked it aside. He reads fast and I know he didn't take time to appreciate the art. Turns out he only asks to read my books because he's bored when he comes over and there's nothing to do but read comics. He also just might be a little **** so there's that also. I should have taken the book back because I still have the receipt.
    Dang 10 year olds XD

Well my best friend asked me if I had any Deadpool comics (I do not. I loathe Deadpool) but I remembered it at the store, so I got her Hawkeye v.s Deadpool. Didn't say thanks, never talked about it, never asked questions, never mentioned it at all. I only assume she never read it. Never again.

Dang 10 year olds XD

Well my best friend asked me if I had any Deadpool comics (I do not. I loathe Deadpool) but I remembered it at the store, so I got her Hawkeye v.s Deadpool. Didn't say thanks, never talked about it, never asked questions, never mentioned it at all. I only assume she never read it. Never again.
    this is a recurring problem in my life, just getting people into comics. Had a similar experience to pud333's with my halfbrother. Got him Superdinosaur v1 and I don't think he ever read it. He was like 10 years old. If someone gave me Superdinosaur when I was 10 I would have exploded from excitement.
    You can tell we don't have the same set of parents :P

I tend to give comics as a present to people who I know as at least casual readers. Mostly they appreciate it. I also unload lot of books on one of my friends when I upgrade, he really likes comics but he is also a gamer and a musician with a son so he doesn't have much time or money for comics. And he always tells me when he manages to read any of them. I think I got good judging people's taste.

this is a recurring problem in my life, just getting people into comics. Had a similar experience to pud333's with my halfbrother. Got him Superdinosaur v1 and I don't think he ever read it. He was like 10 years old. If someone gave me Superdinosaur when I was 10 I would have exploded from excitement.
    You can tell we don't have the same set of parents :P

I tend to give comics as a present to people who I know as at least casual readers. Mostly they appreciate it. I also unload lot of books on one of my friends when I upgrade, he really likes comics but he is also a gamer and a musician with a son so he doesn't have much time or money for comics. And he always tells me when he manages to read any of them. I think I got good judging people's taste.
    If someone gave me comics at 10 years old, I would have wigged out. I would have read it over and over again. I remember I had the Batman Mask of the Phantasm comic that came with the VHS and I didn't even understand what was going on, but I read it doezens of times.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

I used to feel guilty about not buying anything at a comic shop, especially if I'm the only customer in the shop at the time. I got over it. This hobby is too expensive anyway. If I'm in your shop at all it's because I'm looking for something I couldn't find online, and if you don't have it, then you don't have it.

They also survive off single issue subscription sales. You aren't really helping them survive unless you're pulling several books a week. Anything else they sell is a bonus, but not their core business. I don't buy singles at all so I'm already not helping.

The exception to my rule is a local shop (the one I call "my" shop) that buys and sells used trades. I'll pick up something at cover if I have store credit from trading in books I don't want anymore, either because I upgraded to a better edition or because I read it and it sucked. Of course if I find some half off used trades for myself, that's even better! I always thought the used books things was just smart business sense, because I'm sure it gets people to come down to the store when they otherwise have no reason to, wondering if anything good has come in.