View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 714 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2146146647047107117127137147157167177187247648141214 ... LastLast
Results 10,696 to 10,710 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    If someone gave me comics at 10 years old, I would have wigged out. I would have read it over and over again. I remember I had the Batman Mask of the Phantasm comic that came with the VHS and I didn't even understand what was going on, but I read it doezens of times.
    yeah, same. Especially with the lack of variety in Hungary I cherished every issue I got. Compared to my childhood I'm absolutely spoiled now. And no, I don't miss the barren wasteland of my younger years, not even for nostalgia. I mean I miss them but I prefer to have boatloads of comics instead

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    it doesn't matter if you are the CBG, this is business. If they don't have what I want I won't buy from them. If I think that particular shop is worth my money because I think the city need an LCS or the guy/girl at the counter is cure or whatever, then fine, I will buy something but just because we are into the same hobby I shouldn't feel obligated to spend my money.
    The comic book industry repeatedly blackmails the readers, if not with the "buy the single issues or the title will be cancelled" slogan then the "support the little guy, shop at your LCS" thing.
    And I get it, we should support the little guy but if the little guy doesn't have what I want? It's simple supply and demand.
    Also by that logic the LCS owner should go to the place where you work to support you so you can support him?
    This is not just business to me as a CBG, i care about them cause yeah, they are the one and only comic book store here so it has a big impact on me to buy something when i go to the store. Yeah, i believe the city needs a comic book store even if they only bring soft cover trades of DC, Marvel and Image cause kids can't afford the HCs lol i eventualy find something to get (it was habibi last time) i didn't know that there was a support your LCS black mail !?!?! i kind of feel used now... but i will support my LCS because i really want to... but if you don't want to, it's ok too. now, i feel better saying this. lol

And I hate The buy single issues black mail... or when they exploit your feelings. I don't like single issues, i once not whole heartly (i'm a trade guy) bought single issues for a while because i heard or read somewhere Didio saying '' buy single issues, what really keeps us going is the single issues'' or something like this and i really wanted to support DC... cause i didn't know DC was a heartless corporation which only cares about making money like every corporation and can never return your love...or appericiate your loyalty. I was young... :P hearless Didio fooled me... :P
    Last edited by Batarang; 10-14-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    yeah, same. Especially with the lack of variety in Hungary I cherished every issue I got. Compared to my childhood I'm absolutely spoiled now. And no, I don't miss the barren wasteland of my younger years, not even for nostalgia. I mean I miss them but I prefer to have boatloads of comics instead
    Oh for sure. I never set foot in a comic book store until 4 years ago. My first official comic book was the Court of Owls!! I always had to go on like Wikipedia to have knowledge about comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    This is not just business to me as a CBG, i care about them cause yeah, they are the one and only comic book store here so it has a big impact on me to buy something when i go to the store. Yeah, i believe the city needs a comic book store even if they only bring soft cover trades of DC, Marvel and Image cause kids can't afford the HCs lol i eventualy find something to get (it was habibi last time) i didn't know that there was a support your LCS black mail !?!?! i kind of feel used now... but i will support my LCS because i really want to... but if you don't want to, it's ok too. now, i feel better saying this. lol

And I hate The buy single issues black mail... or when they exploit your feelings. I don't like single issues, i once not whole heartly (i'm a trade guy) bought single issues for a while because i heard or read somewhere Didio saying '' buy single issues, what really keeps us going is the single issues'' or something like this and i really wanted to support DC... cause i didn't know DC was a heartless corporation which only cares about making money like every corporation and can never return your love...or appericiate your loyalty. I was young... :P hearless Didio fooled me... :P
    if you feel like supporting your shop then do it! Your money, spend it on whatever you fancy. I only meant to say that don't feel forced to do it just because we are all into the same thing.
    The LCS blackmail is the same black mail that every small shop uses. Don't go to Tesco, go to the corner shop so mom and pop who runs the store can stay in business even though Tesco is cheaper but they are a heartless corporation even though mom and pop probably buy their supply in Tesco.
    And nothing against mom and pop I wish them well, just saying it's the same thing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    If someone gave me comics at 10 years old, I would have wigged out. I would have read it over and over again. I remember I had the Batman Mask of the Phantasm comic that came with the VHS and I didn't even understand what was going on, but I read it doezens of times.
    Oh man, don't get me started on that movie or the animated series! The first comics I owned I wore out because I read them so often, even taking tracing paper and putting it over the art to trace it. What little chore allowance I had, I spent at the comer store buying comics off the spinner rack.
    Last edited by pud333; 10-14-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Oh man, don't get me started on that movie or the animated series! The first comics I owned I wore out because I read them so often, even taking tracing paper and putting it over the art to trace it. What little chore allowance I had, I spent at the comer store buying comics off the spinner rack.
    Tracing the artwork ey? I remember the big Manga boom was right around the time I was growing up. DBZ finished a few years ago, and anime and manga was in every school kids mouths. No one wanted to talk Batman with me

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    I used to feel guilty about not buying anything at a comic shop, especially if I'm the only customer in the shop at the time. I got over it. This hobby is too expensive anyway. If I'm in your shop at all it's because I'm looking for something I couldn't find online, and if you don't have it, then you don't have it.

They also survive off single issue subscription sales. You aren't really helping them survive unless you're pulling several books a week. Anything else they sell is a bonus, but not their core business. I don't buy singles at all so I'm already not helping.

The exception to my rule is a local shop (the one I call "my" shop) that buys and sells used trades. I'll pick up something at cover if I have store credit from trading in books I don't want anymore, either because I upgraded to a better edition or because I read it and it sucked. Of course if I find some half off used trades for myself, that's even better! I always thought the used books things was just smart business sense, because I'm sure it gets people to come down to the store when they otherwise have no reason to, wondering if anything good has come in.
    Actually the single issues are a majority of the bread and butter most shops will tell you they need one or two big buys a month. In other words, they need to sell one of those $300 plus books in the glass case or hanging behind the register.

Aquaman Fan

Ok, normally I just lurk here and don't post anything, but the comments I'm seeing about LCS has finally gotten to me. Take it from a store owner, EVERY PURCHASE is our bread and butter. If we have 200 subscribers you might think that pays the bills, but it doesn't factor in how many of those are current, how many only get a few books a month, or how much actual profit is made off each one (I, for example, give a bigger discount the more books you subscribe to).

When it comes to high price graphic novels we are in a catch 22. When you decide to buy them online, so be it. I understand that we can't always compete with online prices. But what gets annoying is when you don't get around to getting it online. Then it goes out of print. Take for example New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol 1. You don't buy it at retail for $75. You don't even get it at IST for $45. Then when it goes out of print you see it on amazon for around $300 for a new copy. "Holy Crap" you say! "I better check all the local comic shops to see if there's one on their shelves for $75!" Then you complain that we either A) Didn't order it because you always get them online anyway. or B) we sold it online for $250 after it sat on the shelf for 2 years. If you want stores to carry books you want when they go out of print, someone has to be buying copies when they are in print.

Rant over.

What I would suggest to other LCS owners to increase revenue is a willingness to carry more novelty items. A couple years ago I ordered 30 rolls of super hero toilet paper. I sold all of them in a month at a $2 profit per roll. You can't buy that at a big box store, and most people aren't going to google "super hero toilet paper." But because it was there at the counter when people checked out, I made extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman Fan View Post

When it comes to high price graphic novels we are in a catch 22. When you decide to buy them online, so be it. I understand that we can't always compete with online prices. But what gets annoying is when you don't get around to getting it online. Then it goes out of print. Take for example New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol 1. You don't buy it at retail for $75. You don't even get it at IST for $45. Then when it goes out of print you see it on amazon for around $300 for a new copy. "Holy Crap" you say! "I better check all the local comic shops to see if there's one on their shelves for $75!" Then you complain that we either A) Didn't order it because you always get them online anyway. or B) we sold it online for $250 after it sat on the shelf for 2 years. If you want stores to carry books you want when they go out of print, someone has to be buying copies when they are in print.

Rant over.

What I would suggest to other LCS owners to increase revenue is a willingness to carry more novelty items. A couple years ago I ordered 30 rolls of super hero toilet paper. I sold all of them in a month at a $2 profit per roll. You can't buy that at a big box store, and most people aren't going to google "super hero toilet paper." But because it was there at the counter when people checked out, I made extra money.
    Interesting insight although it sounds like some of your customers are dicks. LOL
    The novelty move is interesting. My guy does that and in fact I bought a set of Sin City poker cards for around $6. I have absolutely no need for them as I have multiple sets of Bicycle cards but hey they look bad ass.

Dang that In Stock Trades! I got the extra 3% offer on Friday-Saturday purchases emailed to me Thursday because I had ordered twice in 14 days.
    Add that to the 45% DC Sale, I surrendered to their guilt trip email and ordered JSA 2 Omni for $78. I just order Golden Age W Woman Omni and JSA 1 Omni on Tuesday and will be arriving any day.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Ok, normally I just lurk here and don't post anything, but the comments I'm seeing about LCS has finally gotten to me. Take it from a store owner, EVERY PURCHASE is our bread and butter. If we have 200 subscribers you might think that pays the bills, but it doesn't factor in how many of those are current, how many only get a few books a month, or how much actual profit is made off each one (I, for example, give a bigger discount the more books you subscribe to).

Rant over.

I'm actually more pleased there exists more Aquaman fans. The world needs more of those.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Rant over.

I don't think anyone has the right to complain about you not having stockpiles of expensive books available at cover price long after they've gone out of print. I agree that anyone who would take that attitude sounds like a dick. And selling your excess inventory online to people who want to buy it, for whatever they're willing to pay for it, even if that's 2-3x cover price, well that's just good business sense. I don't believe anyone has the right to complain about that to you either.

If I walk into a shop and they have a rare book available marked up over cover price, that's no issue. If I like the price I'll buy it.

If I walk into a shop because I'm hunting, say, Wonder Woman Paradise Lost tpb, which I can't get online for less than $30, and I browse around a bit and they don't have it, so I leave empty handed, I feel guilty. But I'm not going to buy, say, a Suicide Squad tpb instead that I could get for 47% off online just to assuage my guilt. The hobby's expensive enough for me to indulge that guilt. So I got over it. I need to save my pennies.

I guess if everyone took that attitude you would never sell anything until it went out of print. But I'm not going to apologize for it. I can't. It's just the reality of the situation when, like, Marvel thinks it's okay to charge $35-$40 for a tpb.

I'm sure people like me, who don't buy single issues and only come in to buy what we can't find online, aren't your most valued customers. I'm sure we're not the ones who really help keep your doors open. But I'm sure we're still welcome, because we're still spending money, right? Well, as long as we don't mouth off about "what do you MEAN you don't have that Wonder Woman trade that was published a decade ago!" which I guess apparently some people do.

Incredible Member

Is it just me or are other people upset about how Amazon.ca changed their search results that come up now when we try to search for new Hardcovers? It's really a pain in the ass to do the normal search by publisher and release date and format and then only get results for books that are already out ..

Is there any way to read original aquaman in color besides the archive edition? Still a little disappointed that Adam Strange is getting an omni before aquaman.

Incredible Member

Rant over.

Thanks for your feedback. It's nice to hear from an owner.