View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 721 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2216216717117177187197207217227237247257317718211221 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,815 of 21671

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I got the DC1M Omni and the Sinestro Corps Absolute for thirty bucks each, and the Hawkman Omni for 25. And a ton of 5 dollar trades. Its a great little known site.
    I got the DC1M as well and several trades. I will be checking on it from time to time. I like little known sites with good prices.

I have the exact same opinion. And I'm a huge Legion fan, so you have to screw up pretty big to get me not to like a Legion story. They literally had no reason to be there. That whole story was completely pointless.
    I really enjoy Lemire. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he was swamped with lots of work at the time. I haven't read his E1 TTs, but I heard its pretty bad, to its pretty bland, to it being "meh". I really enjoyed his JLD run if you ever read that. He has the ability to do good team books (IMO) he just hasn't shown that ability in a long time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCJdog View Post
    I just was to say thanks for someone mentioning Hamilton Books. I did not even know about this online store. I just got one omnibus and four TPB's for $60 shipped. They are all DC and ones that I was really wanting to read. Thanks!
    I got the DC1M Omni and the Sinestro Corps Absolute for thirty bucks each, and the Hawkman Omni for 25. And a ton of 5 dollar trades. Its a great little known site.
    Ooh, I'm going to check it out now. Anybody had experience with them? Wonder how they ship their stuff...

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CP1234 View Post
    Flicker Fade, that was very helpful, thanks! I may pick up one or two of the All-Star volumes. Glad to see another Legion fan as well, I've read a lot of the old stuff in the Showcase volumes. I actually have everything from the Levitz 1984 relaunch until the end of Giffen's 5YL custom bound as hardcovers!
    A few months ago I bought a complete set of the Legion archives. Cost an arm and a leg and a kidney but I just had to have them. So much pure joy in comic form. I've read up through volume eight so far and it's been just amazing. Legion is completely unlike anything else in comics. Completely unlike anything anyone would ever think of trying--I'm pretty sure DC never exactly intended to create this, it just sort of happened!

Another reason to get the archives is that there's a new solicit on Amazon for a Legion hardcover coming next year that will pick up exactly where they left off, with the goal of bridging the gap up to the Great Darkness Saga hardcover. Then that will be everything Legion in hardcover from 1958 to the start of the baxter series in the 80s. Fingers crossed it happens!

Super jealous about the custom binds. Want to show off some pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    That was an excellent post FF. Do more like this!
    Sure. Any suggestions?

Hamiltonbook has the Wednesday Comics hardcover for $15. Don't even think, just buy this.

Some further thoughts:

I'm 98% sure the three Seven Soldiers archives collect everything, if that's a consideration.

Sgt. Rock is Joe Kubert's signature series, if you really enjoy his art. Me, I don't know why other people find it so special. It's good, but not really special.
    Last edited by The Flicker Fade; 10-26-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Enemy Ace is more fighter pilots, except this time he's a German. A tragic noble warrior archetype, he hates Nazis but loves his country more, so finds himself in the unfortunate position of fighting for them. Probably more interesting than the other war comics of the era, but also probably not by much.
    Very informative post, TFF... kudos!

One incredibly minor correction - Enemy Ace is actually set in WWI, so there's no Nazis around. The inner turmoil Baron von Hammer (the Hammer from Hell!) experiences is due to his love of country, as you said, versus his hatred of seeing noble foes die unnecessarily. It's very good stuff, albeit a bit repetitive.

I have a lot more time for the Golden Age than the Silver Age, so I'll recommend Plastic Man and The Spirit highly, CP1234... great stuff. All-Star Comics is too, although the art is hit or miss (during WWII, some of the artists were fighting overseas, and their replacements were... uh, terrible), and the best stuff is in volumes 7-10 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Very informative post, TFF... kudos!

One incredibly minor correction - Enemy Ace is actually set in WWI, so there's no Nazis around. The inner turmoil Baron von Hammer (the Hammer from Hell!) experiences is due to his love of country, as you said, versus his hatred of seeing noble foes die unnecessarily. It's very good stuff, albeit a bit repetitive.
    You're right. My only experience with the character is from Garth Ennis's Enemy Ace: War in Heaven, which is set during WWII. It seems most of his stories throughout his publishing history were set during WWI though. Now that I've learned this I think that makes him much more interesting, I mean, WWII is so over-exploited as a setting and WWI is perennially overshadowed by it. I just might buy this archive, haha.

I think many people would be surprised how sophisticated and mature some Golden Age comics can be compared to the Silver Age. It was pre-code so you could get away with some serious violence and sexy stuff. Like look at Hawkman, that strip was hardcore. And the first appearance of the Joker in Batman gives me chills. Still, the art is what it is for the most part, and a lot of features had pretty low page counts which limited storytelling possibilities. But yeah, a lot of people think anything that old has to be awful, and it's extremely not true.

Related: these are the very first words Batman says to Catwoman, ever.

1468038-batpapaspank.jpg

1468038-batpapaspank.jpg
    Bruce/Selina OTP. I'd love to see that as the cover for the next Batman omni

1468038-batpapaspank.jpg
    Ha ha, I told someone about this once and they thought I was crazy.

Not sure if there are any hardcore Aquaman fans here, but my LCS has The Waterbearer and Time and Tide, new. I really wish DC put out more Aquaman content for his 75th. I'm pretty sure well get more 90s, Shirtless, hookhand Aquaman before the movie comes out, but still, its a long wait.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Looks like Gerry Conway's BATMAN stories to be collected next summer. YAY!

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Batman-.../dp/140127255X

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Looks like Gerry Conway's BATMAN stories to be collected next summer. YAY!

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Batman-.../dp/140127255X
    I wish they would collect these in OHC

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Not sure if there are any hardcore Aquaman fans here, but my LCS has The Waterbearer and Time and Tide, new. I really wish DC put out more Aquaman content for his 75th. I'm pretty sure well get more 90s, Shirtless, hookhand Aquaman before the movie comes out, but still, its a long wait.
    I am not hardcore but I am looking forward to D.C. releasing Peter David's run (I hope they do anyways). Peter David is one of my favorite writers and I like the hook-hand version of old Aqua dude.

On another note - does anyone think that D.C. will ever release a TPB of Armageddon 2001 . . . maybe even an omnibus of sorts since it has many tie-ins? I really liked that series back in the day. It had some great art and, to me a great story - despite making Hawk the bad guy instead of Captain Atom. I would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DCJdog View Post
    I am not hardcore but I am looking forward to D.C. releasing Peter David's run (I hope they do anyways). Peter David is one of my favorite writers and I like the hook-hand version of old Aqua dude.

On another note - does anyone think that D.C. will ever release a TPB of Armageddon 2001 . . . maybe even an omnibus of sorts since it has many tie-ins? I really liked that series back in the day. It had some great art and, to me a great story - despite making Hawk the bad guy instead of Captain Atom. I would buy it.
    It shows my younger age, but I never hears of Peter David until they announced his Supergirl run in trade. I've always wanted to read the shirtless Aquaman run, so I'm on board.