View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 727 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2276276777177237247257267277287297307317377778271227 ... LastLast
Results 10,891 to 10,905 of 21671

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    oh man you have to read Ultimates v3 and Ultimatum. It's sooooo bad it's almost entertaining but it's mostly just infuriating.
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    well first of all they shouldn't have recoloured it to begin with. But the price would be justifiable if the other edition would be an Artist edition.
    double agreed

Comments: There are a lot of problems with Ultimatum that are obvious - the poor writing, etc. The biggest, however, is that a **** ton of characters got killed and unlike the 616 universe, they weren't coming back. Now, killing characters is one thing, but they never properly replaced or had the characters in place to continue carrying on the universe.

What's worse is that when Millar returned, he managed to kill off pretty much everyone else.

The Ultimate universe was one of the best conceptions in comics in decades. It's what the "new" universe of the 1980s was supposed to be. Unfortunately, once the three architects - Bendis, Ellis and Millar - left on a full time basis (yes, I know Bendis stuck with Spidey, but he wasn't really managing the universe anymore), the whole thing went to hell. Loeb has done some good work in the past. His ultimate work was not some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Just read Kingdom Come for the first time and thought it was incredible so want to get some more Ross books. There's three 'normal' length trades of Justice, does this book contain them all or is there another, better way to get the series? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Justice-TP-...tice+alex+ross

Cheers.

Check out Marvels is you haven't already. It's written by Kurt Busiek who is a bad ass and features some of Ross' best and earliest art.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    agreed.

double agreed

Comments: There are a lot of problems with Ultimatum that are obvious - the poor writing, etc. The biggest, however, is that a **** ton of characters got killed and unlike the 616 universe, they weren't coming back. Now, killing characters is one thing, but they never properly replaced or had the characters in place to continue carrying on the universe.

What's worse is that when Millar returned, he managed to kill off pretty much everyone else.

The Ultimate universe was one of the best conceptions in comics in decades. It's what the "new" universe of the 1980s was supposed to be. Unfortunately, once the three architects - Bendis, Ellis and Millar - left on a full time basis (yes, I know Bendis stuck with Spidey, but he wasn't really managing the universe anymore), the whole thing went to hell. Loeb has done some good work in the past. His ultimate work was not some of it.
    Poor Ultimate Universe. I remember it being so popular. Even now the characters are gone. Well...except for like, Miles Morales.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Just read Kingdom Come for the first time and thought it was incredible so want to get some more Ross books. There's three 'normal' length trades of Justice, does this book contain them all or is there another, better way to get the series? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Justice-TP-...tice+alex+ross

Cheers.
    There's an Absolute Justice. It was out of print when I bought it about a year ago but not hard to find online for under cover. That may have changed, I don't know.

There's also a slightly-larger-than-Absolute-sized World's Greatest Superheroes slipcased book by Alex Ross. It's a collection of short, minor stories for the major DC characters that's really just an excuse to show off Ross drawing ridiculously well. It was also out of print when I bought it last year but copies went for around half cover at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Oh god. I'm so sorry! Lol

And as for the comments on Lee's art, i let the first one slide. You two are on thin ice...
    I've had this conversation here before but just to clarify: Lee is a great artist, period. But I don't like him. On a technical level he is amazing but I greatly dislike his style. It's just too 90's. And I effin hate 90's style (the McFarlane, Liefeld, Lee stuff.). For example: I know the art on Waid's Cap is nowhere near to Lee's level (I would say it was amateurish trash) but the main reason I gave away that book without finishing was its stereotypical 90's look. And Lee still has that and I just can't stand it.

Mighty Member

^Oh i was just joshin you guys. I know how subjective art can be. No explanation needed. However, Lee's still the man!

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    ^Oh i was just joshin you guys. I know how subjective art can be. No explanation needed. However, Lee's still the man!
    I'd like Lee a lot better if he did interiors for Monstress.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

It may take awhile but it seems if Waid's Flash material is getting some TPB love then one day a few years down the road we may finally get those Omnibus editions.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    There's an Absolute Justice. It was out of print when I bought it about a year ago but not hard to find online for under cover. That may have changed, I don't know.

There's also a slightly-larger-than-Absolute-sized World's Greatest Superheroes slipcased book by Alex Ross. It's a collection of short, minor stories for the major DC characters that's really just an excuse to show off Ross drawing ridiculously well. It was also out of print when I bought it last year but copies went for around half cover at the time.
    I had "world's greatest" at one point but eventually sold it. The art was gorgeous - especially Batman - but the stories were average at best and I just never figured I'd read it again.

How is Absolute Justice? Didn't the writer Ross teamed up with for all the Earth X series work with him on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It may take awhile but it seems if Waid's Flash material is getting some TPB love then one day a few years down the road we may finally get those Omnibus editions.
    That's still a long wait. Maybe when the Flash film.is released it'll speed things along.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I had "world's greatest" at one point but eventually sold it. The art was gorgeous - especially Batman - but the stories were average at best and I just never figured I'd read it again.

How is Absolute Justice? Didn't the writer Ross teamed up with for all the Earth X series work with him on that?
    I really enjoyed it. Arts gorgeous, story is fun.
    Cyclops was right

All-New Member

I love the absolute editions they are putting out for Vertigo. Do you guys think we'll ever get absolutes for Swamp Thing or Hellblazer?

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    I love the absolute editions they are putting out for Vertigo. Do you guys think we'll ever get absolutes for Swamp Thing or Hellblazer?
    Hellblazer yes. At some point they will have it. Swamp Thing? I doubt it. Poor guy always gets the short end of the swamp twig.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    That's still a long wait. Maybe when the Flash film.is released it'll speed things along.
    RIMSHOT!
    lol
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    Take your pick: see below

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Hellblazer yes. At some point they will have it. Swamp Thing? I doubt it. Poor guy always gets the short end of the swamp twig.
    Hellblazer? no, never, we'll be lucky if they get through the tpbs. I'm surprised they got this far.
    Swamp Thing? It's Alan Moore. Some day.