View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 749 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2496496997397457467477487497507517527537597998491249 ... LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,235 of 21670

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    it's basically newsprint. Like Marvel Essentials (which is a wee bit better than DC SHowcase).
    Ah...that sounds nasty...and greasy for some reason. I like the glossy kind. Its amazing. Gotham Central Omni has it. I need a tutorial on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Ah...that sounds nasty...and greasy for some reason. I like the glossy kind. Its amazing. Gotham Central Omni has it. I need a tutorial on paper.
    Hey Vilynne, I agree with you. I love the slick, glossy paper in Omni's and HC Deluxes. (That have them)
    The images pop, greatly enhances the story, and keeps me coming back to read more. And to collect and buy more!

I'm so irritated I started back collecting too late for the New Teen Titans Omni's. Just can't afford that amount of money.
    I saw earlier this year where they were reprinting the series in chunky TPB's. I figured I could collect those and have Dick Grayson eventually bind me a series of them. Then I Got volume 1 and was royally disappointed as it was printed on the very very very cheap newspaper print. What in the €#%!!!! They couldn't increase the print a couple of dollars to at least print it on the same shiny paper as most all the new TPB's come out in??? Or even floppy paper? This style paper is the same from the 80's!
    Grrrr!!!!! Haven't bought the other TPB's. Guess I'll never enjoy that run, gosh to the darn-it!
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Incredible Member

So Action Comics gets Deluxe HC but not Detective?

Which run is Green Lantern: Hal Jordan Vol 2 and what does Vol 1 contain?
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 11-28-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

There was no restoration done on those old Jack Kirby books, and the newsprint paper was garbage that will yellow and brittle and won't hold up well over the years since it isn't acid-free. Personally that's not what I want in a collected edition of old comics, nor do I think it's acceptable. They should have a reasonable archival level of quality. That's why we're buying them in hardcover.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    Then I Got volume 1 and was royally disappointed as it was printed on the very very very cheap newspaper print. What in the €#%!!!! They couldn't increase the print a couple of dollars to at least print it on the same shiny paper as most all the new TPB's come out in??? Or even floppy paper? This style paper is the same from the 80's!
    Grrrr!!!!! Haven't bought the other TPB's. Guess I'll never enjoy that run, gosh to the darn-it!
    I find it irritating too that some of DC's Tpb's have glossy paper and some have matte paper type quality but going back on the new Titans tpb's I kind of actually like them and the paper isn't exactly newspaper type otherwise you'd have ink smudges on your fingers each time you read them.

But the paper is more kind of like what DC and Marvel had what was called "baxter" type of paper for their certain direct market comics back in the 80's, in fact I still have some comics with that baxter type of paper and they're still held together pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    There was no restoration done on those old Jack Kirby books, and the newsprint paper was garbage that will yellow and brittle and won't hold up well over the years since it isn't acid-free. Personally that's not what I want in a collected edition of old comics, nor do I think it's acceptable. They should have a reasonable archival level of quality. That's why we're buying them in hardcover.
    I guess they figure its cheaper, but you're right. If it is purchased as an Omni, there should be more care and finer quality printings put into the product.

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Anyone know how the paper of the Starman omnis compares? They're in the same standard trim format as the Kirby omnis, but is the paper also the newsprint variety?

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    Which run is Green Lantern: Hal Jordan Vol 2 and what does Vol 1 contain?
    This is the run that began in 1990. Volume One contains Emerald Dawn #1-6 and Emerald Dawn II #1-6.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I guess they figure its cheaper, but you're right. If it is purchased as an Omni, there should be more care and finer quality printings put into the product.
    The cover price on the two Kamandi volumes was $50 (each), so they weren't actually cheaper. Right now Amazon even has the price of the new solicit at $75, but that will probably go up to $100 (I don't expect $125 for a niche book like this).

The whole line of those old books were unacceptable collections, period. DC's done some dumber things, though. Currently this one holds the record for dumbest collection at the dumbest price point I've seen from them:

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Inc-...s=infinity+inc <- standard size hardcover. Only seven issues that is just half of a fourteen issue story, so obviously it needed to be in two volumes. Cover price $40!

I can't even begin to imagine what they were thinking, that people would buy that. And, I mean, Infinity Inc isn't exactly Batman, right?

But they've stopped being this dumb, so it's all good. Well, just reprint Fourth World already, and THEN it's all good, haha.

I think I know why Kamandi is going first, though. Well, besides the new Kamandi project DC's doing next year. In addition to the two crap books, Kamandi also got two DC Archives volumes that covered the first half of the 40 issues. Since they had full restoration work for half of the series already done, I bet it looked easy and economical to just finish up the back half and finally put out a proper collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
    Anyone know how the paper of the Starman omnis compares? They're in the same standard trim format as the Kirby omnis, but is the paper also the newsprint variety?
    No, Starman has nice paper. And nice binding. Only issues with the Starman books is that the six volumes could have been two, and they could have been oversized. They're nice collections though, no complaints.

The cover price on the two Kamandi volumes was $50 (each), so they weren't actually cheaper. Right now Amazon even has the price of the new solicit at $75, but that will probably go up to $100 (I don't expect $125 for a niche book like this).

The whole line of those old books were unacceptable collections, period. DC's done some dumber things, though. Currently this one holds the record for dumbest collection at the dumbest price point I've seen from them:

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Inc-...s=infinity+inc <- standard size hardcover. Only seven issues that is just half of a fourteen issue story, so obviously it needed to be in two volumes. Cover price $40!

I can't even begin to imagine what they were thinking, that people would buy that. And, I mean, Infinity Inc isn't exactly Batman, right?

But they've stopped being this dumb, so it's all good. Well, just reprint Fourth World already, and THEN it's all good, haha.

I think I know why Kamandi is going first, though. Well, besides the new Kamandi project DC's doing next year. In addition to the two crap books, Kamandi also got two DC Archives volumes that covered the first half of the 40 issues. Since they had full restoration work for half of the series already done, I bet it looked easy and economical to just finish up the back half and finally put out a proper collection.

No, Starman has nice paper. And nice binding. Only issues with the Starman books is that the six volumes could have been two, and they could have been oversized. They're nice collections though, no complaints.
    Well as long as we get it, I suppose. Who knew the secret lofe of collectef editions could be so complicated.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    No OHC for snyder&capullo ? don't you know about the abolute court of owls ? there is an absolute edition court of owls and may be DC will collect the rest of snyder&capullos as absolutes, but i don't know, there is no guaranty of that ofcourse. You mean Geoff Johns by Johns right ? as far as i know he has no run on Batman but only Batman: Earth One... hmm... since they were published as regular hard covers, DC didn't feel the need to publish OHCs for them probably but rebith stuff is soft cover only so far so when they go to HC route with them, they decided to go with Deluxe OHCs... (and that's great ) i don't think DC needs to do this stuff on cronological order or somekind of hierarchy according to some people's preferances.
    I do know of the "Absolute" Editions, but I wasn't talking about Over-Oversized, I meant actual Deluxe Editions/OHC/Omnibus that collect more then one arc. And when I mentioned Snyder and Johns, i meant from their respective titles, like Batman, Justice League, Aquaman, so on and so forth. Sorry for the confusion. But now unless they plan on a Batman by Snyder Omni, or say a Justice League by Johns (which is obviously going to come) we have to wait even longer to read these things in order. Since for some reason instead of that stuff, we get Deluxes of the Rebirth stuff (which is fine, but come on DC, get your release **** together)

So, "Doom Patrol: The Silver Age Omnibus" is confirmed, but where is the "Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus" ?!?!?

Great to have this: Jack Kirby's Kamandi Omnibus

is this: "Justice League Vol. 1 & 2 Deluxe Edition" the folow up to Darkseid war?

Quote Originally Posted by TajtheDestroyer View Post
    Haha. I bought it for £27.02 so I don't think I'd need or want much discount on it. Maybe they've saw the price some people have bought it for and are trying to get orders cancelled.
    It arrived today and it was the actual Omnibus. All that worrying over nothing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    is this: "Justice League Vol. 1 & 2 Deluxe Edition" the folow up to Darkseid war?
    It's Bryan Hitch's current run on Justice League, which is striaght up garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I find it irritating too that some of DC's Tpb's have glossy paper and some have matte paper type quality but going back on the new Titans tpb's I kind of actually like them and the paper isn't exactly newspaper type otherwise you'd have ink smudges on your fingers each time you read them.

But the paper is more kind of like what DC and Marvel had what was called "baxter" type of paper for their certain direct market comics back in the 80's, in fact I still have some comics with that baxter type of paper and they're still held together pretty well.
    Thanks for answering. Yes, it's that baxter paper in the NTT TPB's. Blech!!! It just doesn't jump or pop out wanting me to read it.
    I wish DC would still to one type of paper. I prefer the type used in Floppy's and MOST new TPB's. Nice and shiny and eye popping images.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....