View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 756 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2566567067467527537547557567577587597607668068561256 ... LastLast
Results 11,326 to 11,340 of 21674

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Is Riri working? She seems to have been met with a collective yawn. (This is the wrong thread to ask that question, I know!)

Moon Girl is awesome, definitely one of my favorite books at the moment. DC did try this type of approach with the DCYOU revamp recently and books like Black Canary, Starfire, Gotham Academy, etc. The reason, I think, why it didn't turn out as successful as Marvel is that their core books were still rotting under the New 52 approach, leading to not enough fans for spillover eyes to find the fresh ideas in these titles.

I'd have put Batwoman on the list if not for the thing you mention, plus I've heard from multiple people that vol 2 with the time jumps and perspective shifts every two pages really frustrated them. So it can't be an unequivocal recommendation. But hey, let's dig a bit deeper. Why not?

All-Star Western: If you like Jonah Hex and western comics, this is worth reading. It's not as good as the pre-N52 Jonah Hex, and the frontier Gotham thing is kind of hokey, but still worth reading.
    Batgirl: Gail Simone does a good job with a newly mobile Barbara Gordon suffering from PTSD, but her run is still uneven. The relaunch, where Batgirl becomes a hipster and moves to Brooklyn (err Burnside), is tons of fun, but your mileage may vary. It tries way too hard at times and expect tons of annoying tropes about millenials.
    Batwoman: Is awesome if sometimes challenging to read, with plots that drag on too long. And then it gets its throat cut by some behind-the-scenes drama and continues on in a manner that's so lame it will literally make you cry.
    Black Canary: From the Batgirl re-launch team, the book is nothing like what you would expect from a Black Canary solo, with Dinah fronting a band called Black Canary. It's good comics but you have to be open to the idea.
    Forever Evil: I can't recommend Geoff Johns's entire Justice League run, with most of it being unremarkable at best (I have yet to read Darkseid War, to be fair). But this story, the main part at least, with the evil version of the Justice League from Earth-3 conquering the world, is awesome and I think everyone can find enjoyment in it, regardless of how they feel about the changes to the characters of the Justice League in the New 52.
    Gotham Academy: Harry Potter in Gotham. Works better than that tagline might suggest. The first trade was AMAZING but the next two have failed to live up to it so far.
    Grayson: Dick Grayson out of costume as a superspy. Great comics but you have to be open to the premise (yes, I prefer Nightwing in my DCU, too).
    Green Arrow: By Jeff Lemire, AND ONLY BY JEFF LEMIRE. Any other author will give you seizures. This version of Oliver Queen isn't the Oliver Queen we all know and love. Not by a long shot. He's an imposter. But an imposter who stars in a good story.
    Harley Quinn: You probably know what to expect. You'll like a book like this, or you won't.
    I, Vampire: Short but sweet. Loses its way a little at the end, probably because creators thought they'd have more issues. Also has one of the only depictions of John Constantine in the New 52 that isn't total ass.
    Martian Manhunter: The second trade isn't out yet, but the first was really great, digging deep into Jonn's psyche. This version of Jonn is a little more alienated than other depictions, not really having any close friends or confidants on earth.
    Midnighter: A book that should be read along with Grayson. Not too different a depiction from pre-New 52 versions. Lucas Trent is a bad, bad dude you do NOT want to cross.
    Starfire: Fresh off appalling treatment in seven volumes of Red Hood and the Outlaws, Kory remembers she's supposed to be a sweet, naive alien with the power to nuke anyone who messes with her and moves to the Florida keys. Bright and sunny tone; hilarity ensues.
    Superman - Lois and Clark: The real Superman and Lois Lane are back! And they act like themselves! Okay, so their whole world ended and they're hiding out anonymously . . . but they have a kid!
    Swamp Thing: By Scott Snyder. A VERY different take on Swamp Thing that isn't what I want to see done with the character, but still a good story.
    Talon: After you've read the first two volumes of Snyder's Batman, if you liked the Court of Owls, read this. It's surprisingly great, and though the second volume falls off some in quality, you won't be disappointed by the resolution.
    Wonder Woman: By Azzarello/Chiang. The title character doesn't act anything like Wonder Woman. Everything about her personality and her mythology, her entire supporting cast and her world, is 100% wrong or absent. It will upset you greatly if you're a longitme fan of hers, but if you can get past it, the story told here is pretty good. Derivative, but pretty good. Stop reading as soon as Azzarello/Chiang leave though, if you thought this was challenging to accept as a Wonder Woman fan you really don't want to see what the next team did to Donna.

Here's a few others I hear are good but can't recommend because I haven't read them yet: Red Lanterns by Soule, Detective Comics by Manapul, Catwoman by Valentine. Justice League 3000/3001, Green Lantern Corps, Sinestro, Demon Knights. And, as I mentioned above, I haven't read Justice League Darkseid War yet. Maybe Johns sticks the landing.

So again, these are not unequivocal recommendations for anyone and everyone, but they are good comics.
    I agree for the most part (I despise Harley Quinn). Those are what I'd say the main staple of N52 titles, that is that I think everyone can agree are fairly enjoyable ( at least one!)

I dug Red Lanterns with Soule on it. JL3K was a lot of fun. The art was... Poor, but considering the book is pretty Satirical, I'd say it matches. I really like Sinestro, but I can see a lot of people disliking it. Demon Knights was great, love the I,Vampire love here. Also, if you haven't read Prez, check it out. Its pretty damn hilarious, and I haven't enjoyed a comic like this in a long long time. Its a lot of fun, and there were parts I literally had to put the book down because o was laughing so hard. Solid list.

Although side note, I though instead of Talon, you out Telos, and I began to question your entire judgment. Calvin Rose is great. Shame he never got into anything else, unlike Stryx from Batgirl becoming recurring and in the god awful Birds of Prey.

Whoa. These solicits.

Whoa.

A new New Teen Titans? I'll hold off on potentially selling my copies until we know more about this upcoming release. But I'm stoked for the majority of these releases.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Lot of cool stuff. Looks like the New TT omnibus is $150! Was the first printing that much?

Looks like there's four extra issues. The new release has it down for collecting 1-24 and some others, whereas the first print collected 1-20 and others.

If these solicitations remain that would suggest to me they're going to collect/reprint the others, much like the Silver Age Green Lantern.

Obviously, this is just guesswork.
    While I don't have it, I remember NTT 1 having a $75 price tag.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Demon Knights is AMAZING. I haven't read the last volume yet, but the first two are probably the best thing to come out of the New 52.

I consider myself a bit more of a Marvel guy (mostly due to the X-Men), and I think Riri, and 90% of the other minority teen replacement heroes are a burning dumpster fire ruining current Marvel. Only good ones are Ms. Marvel and Vision's daughter. But that's just me.

On the new books, I'm slightly upset, because I want like 60% of them. My wallet will not be happy.

Definitly picking up all four upcoming Legion books. Legion Lost is one of my favorite comics ever, if anyone is on the fence about it. Its about as good as space comics get.

There's no way that Titans Omni solicit is right. It comes out to what, 3 pages per dollar. That's seven times the price of a new issue. That's insane.
    I have the first two Demon Knights volumes! Maybe I'll curl up with that tonight.

I used to consider myself more of a Marvel guy as well (also because of the X-Men!), but I've read barely anything since Secret Wars ended. Just not interested in the direction of their titles at the moment, or waiting on the better collections of the ones I AM interested in to come out. I enjoy a lot of the new younger diversity heroes (especially Kamala, Miles, Kate "so badass even Hawkeye calls her Hawkeye" Bishop, America Chavez, even Cholk), but what the hell were they doing in the flagship Avengers book? Like, really?

I don't think the NTT reprint will stick with that price point.

Can't wait to have a more complete version of Legion Lost!

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I agree for the most part (I despise Harley Quinn). Those are what I'd say the main staple of N52 titles, that is that I think everyone can agree are fairly enjoyable ( at least one!)

I dug Red Lanterns with Soule on it. JL3K was a lot of fun. The art was... Poor, but considering the book is pretty Satirical, I'd say it matches. I really like Sinestro, but I can see a lot of people disliking it. Demon Knights was great, love the I,Vampire love here. Also, if you haven't read Prez, check it out. Its pretty damn hilarious, and I haven't enjoyed a comic like this in a long long time. Its a lot of fun, and there were parts I literally had to put the book down because o was laughing so hard. Solid list.

Although side note, I though instead of Talon, you out Telos, and I began to question your entire judgment. Calvin Rose is great. Shame he never got into anything else, unlike Stryx from Batgirl becoming recurring and in the god awful Birds of Prey.
    I've read Prez! I enjoyed Prez a lot. Wasn't sure if I should include it because it may as well be an indie comic. It's got no ties to the ongoing DCU and can't really be considered part of or spinning out of the New 52, other than that it was published by DC after 2011.

Calvin was great, but I really want to see more of Casey Washington and her badass superhuman witness protection crew and that island security fortress. One of the strongest original characters and concepts to come out of the New 52 and DC doesn't seem to realize it. And the Butcher was a great character, too.

I like Stryx, and I think she has potential. Marx's BoP run when she was added to the cast was much better than Duane Swierczynski's (and his fawning over his terrible pet character, Starling, who was the absolute worst), but it's true that isn't saying much. It's just that first volumes were SO bad.

I have the first two Demon Knights volumes! Maybe I'll curl up with that tonight.

I used to consider myself more of a Marvel guy as well (also because of the X-Men!), but I've read barely anything since Secret Wars ended. Just not interested in the direction of their titles at the moment, or waiting on the better collections of the ones I AM interested in to come out. I enjoy a lot of the new younger diversity heroes (especially Kamala, Miles, Kate "so badass even Hawkeye calls her Hawkeye" Bishop, America Chavez, even Cholk), but what the hell were they doing in the flagship Avengers book? Like, really?

I don't think the NTT reprint will stick with that price point.

Can't wait to have a more complete version of Legion Lost!

I've read Prez! I enjoyed Prez a lot. Wasn't sure if I should include it because it may as well be an indie comic. It's got no ties to the ongoing DCU and can't really be considered part of or spinning out of the New 52, other than that it was published by DC after 2011.

Calvin was great, but I really want to see more of Casey Washington and her badass superhuman witness protection crew and that island security fortress. One of the strongest original characters and concepts to come out of the New 52 and DC doesn't seem to realize it. And the Butcher was a great character, too.

I like Stryx, and I think she has potential. Marx's BoP run when she was added to the cast was much better than Duane Swierczynski's (and his fawning over his terrible pet character, Starling, who was the absolute worst), but it's true that isn't saying much. It's just that first volumes were SO bad.
    America Chavez is the best. However, part of the reason I like her, is because she's so diverse in many ways, and Marvel isn't giving her the "LOOK AT ME. IM DIFFERENT!" treatment, like they did with Ms.Marvel. so it feels very natural to have this character around and I love it. With her new title coming up, I'm afraid Marvel might do just what I don't want them to.

Prez is Über Alles for sure. And Starling sucks. Probably the worst part about BoP. Marx was fantastic on Amethyst, but she really didn't do much for BoP, besides Condor being obsessed with Canary, Canary obsessed with her Husband being alive, and Batgirl being the team leader. It was weak. I missed it when Ivy and Katana were on the team (brief as it was). That reminds me, I gotta pick up the Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Katana trade.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love Kate Bishop, and the whole Young Avengers/New X-Men/Avengers Initiative-Academy generation. I just feel that the more recent characters are much less interesting, and mostly exist so that Marvel can point out to their blatant diversity, which they don't really need to don since they already are diverse. I also never got invested in Miles or MAC, so they don't hold any real attraction for me, though I applaud MAC as an example of diversity done right. So yeah, I'd much rather be reading Hazmat and Reptil than Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.

Oh, and your not missing anything with X-Men. All-New and Extraordinary are some of the worst x-books in years. Borderline Chuck Austen stuff. And the upcoming line-up looks just as bad. Mark Guggenheim, Greg Land, the O5, and Eyeboy. All-New hasn't really impressed me at all, aside from the Vision, by everyone's favorite Tom King. (I really need to pick up Omega Men)

So, do we think NTT will go down in price, or will they add more content? Or do they try to pull another Absolute Year One?
    Last edited by FlashingSabre; 12-02-2016 at 11:52 PM.
    Cyclops was right

Is Riri working? She seems to have been met with a collective yawn. (This is the wrong thread to ask that question, I know!)

Here's a few others I hear are good but can't recommend because I haven't read them yet: Red Lanterns by Soule, Detective Comics by Manapul, Catwoman by Valentine. Justice League 3000/3001, Green Lantern Corps, Sinestro, Demon Knights. And, as I mentioned above, I haven't read Justice League Darkseid War yet. Maybe Johns sticks the landing.

So again, these are not unequivocal recommendations for anyone and everyone, but they are good comics.
    Riri has starred in only one issue, so it's hard to say whether she works. I think she will if only because Tony Stark is technically still around. Sort of. Plus Bendis is writing a pretty good Iron Man right now. I'm really digging his version of Dr. Doom.

Demon Knights is a great run. I knew it wouldn't last but it was pretty good.
    Ah, Justice League Darkseid. Heh.
    I like Johns but his JLA was a mess. The first arc was stupid. Batman running around the city without his mask, blah, blah. There were some decent moments. He captured a cocky ambitious Lex correctly and Luthor's relationship with Bizarro was great writing. But Darkseid was too long, too boring and too repetitive. Oh and Batman kept his mask on for it - but he mostly sat in a chair and acted like a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Enormouse View Post
    I'm hoping you're right but maybe they see Marvel getting away with the higher prices and figure it's their turn.

I'm hoping you're right but maybe they see Marvel getting away with the higher prices and figure it's their turn.
    I wonder if it's as a few others have speculated, that this new edition of NTT will be like what they're doing with Silver Age GL, combining and overhauling the releases. If that's the case, and this new edition contains everything in the original NTT 1 and 2 omnibus books, and we get an eventual *new* volume 2, which would pick up from the end of this new volume 1, and thus, the old volume 2, I'd be okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I wonder if it's as a few others have speculated, that this new edition of NTT will be like what they're doing with Silver Age GL, combining and overhauling the releases. If that's the case, and this new edition contains everything in the original NTT 1 and 2 omnibus books, and we get an eventual *new* volume 2, which would pick up from the end of this new volume 1, and thus, the old volume 2, I'd be okay with it.
    I agree but at this point the solicitation says 1-24 and the first edition collected 1-20 ((they both collect the same specials).
    I hope it is an overhaul - just not at that price.

I'm looking forward to the GL by the way. I never bought the first editions.

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enormouse View Post
    I just checked my volumes. Each of the 3 are $75. Also Vol. 1 is slightly thinner than 2 & 3. Maybe adding an extra 4 issues to Vol. 1 is an attempt to have the 3 new volumes have more consistent width?

I agree but at this point the solicitation says 1-24 and the first edition collected 1-20 ((they both collect the same specials).
    I hope it is an overhaul - just not at that price.

I'm looking forward to the GL by the way. I never bought the first editions.
    This is true. I tend to just hope for the best! I'm often disappointed...

But seriously, we can only wait until they're actually solicited from DC to get a better idea, and even then we won't know until it's actually released.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
    I just checked my volumes. Each of the 3 are $75. Also Vol. 1 is slightly thinner than 2 & 3. Maybe adding an extra 4 issues to Vol. 1 is an attempt to have the 3 new volumes have more consistent width?
    3 was such a hodge podge clusterfuck. I didn't even bother buying it. Hopefully they collect it all correctly this time, and not by artist

So do these Omnis have some of the "better" teen titans material? Would they be a good place to start for someone who knows nothing of teen titans? I'm a fan of Geoff johns and have thought about picking up his TT omni but haven't since i know nothing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    So do these Omnis have some of the "better" teen titans material? Would they be a good place to start for someone who knows nothing of teen titans? I'm a fan of Geoff johns and have thought about picking up his TT omni but haven't since i know nothing about them.
    Yeah these were DC's X-Men if the 1980s. Great stuff although they will be a tad dated but you should still get them.

I agree with ER tho, I remember when vol 3 came out and folks here were pissed because it didn't properly collect that part of the run. Fingers crossed they'll get it right this time.

For me Teen Titans are exactly like X-Men. I think the writing is dated the books take some time to really hit stride and I'd say despite some good issues here and there if I had fallen off when Byrne/Perez left it wouldn't have been a horrible mistake.

Gotta say, I LOVE the fact that Geoff Johns Aquaman is getting an omnibus. I've held out on the story mostly because I stopped reading comics for a few years, but I've heard it is spectacular and funny.

Quick question for everyone here: Is the recent Manapul/Buccaleto omnibus any good? I know the art is jaw-dropping, just wondering if the story itself is any good.