View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 763 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2636637137537597607617627637647657667677738138631263 ... LastLast
Results 11,431 to 11,445 of 21672
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Default Superman Cover to Cover HC

Can someone please confirm as to whether the Superman Cover to Cover HC is oversized or not?

Amazon still lists the Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus.
    Is there still hope or is it just an error?

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

So following on from Johns and Parker, I just read Cullen Bunn's Aquaman.

What total dogshit. I usually really like Cullen Bunn. It's hard to believe he wrote such a pile of feces. I guess he had nothing to say about Aquaman and that didn't matter to him at all and he wanted money and also figured that since it's Aquaman and he's Cullen Bunn nobody would really care? Not a totally unreasonable assumption I guess at most times in Aquaman's publishing history but right then he was coming off probably the 40 best consecutive issues released by DC this decade. What a total fucking crushing bummer.

Everything about this was so, so bad. Literally everything. I can't find a single redeeming quality. All the art even sucked. None of these comics should have seen print. How sad.

I'm not quite sure it was Nocenti Catwoman bad, but really, not very far off.

Please tell me it gets better again with Abnett after this.

Also read all of Justice League 3000/3001. Decently fun. I'd say it kind of started with one premise (the traditional Justice League is sort-of reborn in the 30th century to fight a threat) but then pivoted into being Brandon Graham's Prophet but with Giffen/DeMatteis's Justice League International instead of Rob Liefeld's Youngblood, which I was totally down for. The no-resolution ending to most plot points because of Rebirth is a drag, but what can you do.

I did expect them to get more mileage out of a Guy Gardner with boobs, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    So following on from Johns and Parker, I just read Cullen Bunn's Aquaman.

What total dogshit. I usually really like Cullen Bunn. It's hard to believe he wrote such a pile of feces. I guess he had nothing to say about Aquaman and that didn't matter to him at all and he wanted money and also figured that since it's Aquaman and he's Cullen Bunn nobody would really care? Not a totally unreasonable assumption I guess at most times in Aquaman's publishing history but right then he was coming off probably the 40 best consecutive issues released by DC this decade. What a total fucking crushing bummer.

Everything about this was so, so bad. Literally everything. I can't find a single redeeming quality. All the art even sucked. None of these comics should have seen print. How sad.

I'm not quite sure it was Nocenti Catwoman bad, but really, not very far off.

Please tell me it gets better again with Abnett after this.

Also read all of Justice League 3000/3001. Decently fun. I'd say it kind of started with one premise (the traditional Justice League is sort-of reborn in the 30th century to fight a threat) but then pivoted into being Brandon Graham's Prophet but with Giffen/DeMatteis's Justice League International instead of Rob Liefeld's Youngblood, which I was totally down for. The no-resolution ending to most plot points because of Rebirth is a drag, but what can you do.

I did expect them to get more mileage out of a Guy Gardner with boobs, though.
    I actually talked to Bunn aboyt that Run. Basically he gave up, because fbas had such a nasty, negative reaction to Aquamans new look. DC specifically told him to shake things up and make the status quo insane for the DCYou. Make it a wild jumping in point. So when Bunn thought of a fugitive Aquaman story with a new look, fans brutally attacked him online, before the story was even finished. Bunn just gave up, and said he would finished the 6 issues with no interest because of this. DC also kind of screwed him over. Apparently there was a big cosmic crossover that was going to go down. One of them towards the end of his GLC mini run. Lobo and Sinestro. Lobo pulled bad sales, he was replaced in the GLC run and then they axed Sinestro. All within the sane time frame. Its no wonder he's pulling his big guns over at Marvel.

As for JL3K, the story was everywhere. It was fun at first, but the 31k stuff was much more serious and bleak.

BANNED

I'm one of those guys who don't like the Cullen Bunn run... ofcourse i wasn't a loud mouth about it. I didn't harass the guy or didn't write on the forum anything bad but i haven't bought the volume yet...i don't want to buy it, but the completist in me insists. It was such a far away ''cool'' costume from the iconic Aquaman that i just couldn't stand it... May be i will get the volume in the future at some point but i doubt that i will read it.
    Last edited by Batarang; 12-09-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    I'm one of those guys who don't like the Cullen Bunn run... ofcourse i wasn't a loud mouth about it. I didn't harass the guy or didn't write on the forum anything bad but i haven't bought the volume yet...i don't want to buy it, but the completist in me insists. It was such a far away ''cool'' costume from the iconic Aquaman that i just couldn't stand it... May be i will get the volume in the future at some point but i doubt that i will read it.
    I feel the same. I want to support the guy, because I met him and he's real laid back and he's a lot of fun, but my budget is really limited. Maybe eventually ill go back and pick it up

I had no problem with his new look. He had his shirtless look of the 90s, and he has a similar look in the upcoming JL film. Didn't seem too out of character. Especially if they are on the run.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I actually talked to Bunn aboyt that Run. Basically he gave up, because fbas had such a nasty, negative reaction to Aquamans new look. DC specifically told him to shake things up and make the status quo insane for the DCYou. Make it a wild jumping in point. So when Bunn thought of a fugitive Aquaman story with a new look, fans brutally attacked him online, before the story was even finished. Bunn just gave up, and said he would finished the 6 issues with no interest because of this. DC also kind of screwed him over. Apparently there was a big cosmic crossover that was going to go down. One of them towards the end of his GLC mini run. Lobo and Sinestro. Lobo pulled bad sales, he was replaced in the GLC run and then they axed Sinestro. All within the sane time frame. Its no wonder he's pulling his big guns over at Marvel.

As for JL3K, the story was everywhere. It was fun at first, but the 31k stuff was much more serious and bleak.
    So it was his way of expressing his frustration with the company forcing a direction the fans didn't want, knowing that no matter what he did the fans weren't going to like it. I get it, but it's still a shitty thing to do when you're asking people to spend their hard earned money on it at $4 a pop (or whatever it was). Plus it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy: if you turn in a pile of shit, of course no one's going to like it, but if you wrote something well that people want to hate, who knows?

I wonder if his Lobo was any good. But it's another case where no one was going to read it or be kind to it as long as it featured Twilight-Lobo. Ugh, so much of the New 52 was so dumb with the creative direction. Remember when they made Deathstroke young and gave him powers?

I thought the new Aquaman look was dumb, but that's not worth not reading the book over!

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    So it was his way of expressing his frustration with the company forcing a direction the fans didn't want, knowing that no matter what he did the fans weren't going to like it. I get it, but it's still a shitty thing to do when you're asking people to spend their hard earned money on it at $4 a pop (or whatever it was). Plus it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy: if you turn in a pile of shit, of course no one's going to like it, but if you wrote something well that people want to hate, who knows?

I wonder if his Lobo was any good. But it's another case where no one was going to read it or be kind to it as long as it featured Twilight-Lobo. Ugh, so much of the New 52 was so dumb with the creative direction. Remember when they made Deathstroke young and gave him powers?

I thought the new Aquaman look was dumb, but that's not worth not reading the book over!
    According to him, he had a lot of cool Lobo ideas. DC didn't like them. He had a final Lobo pitch about a hitman/bounty hunter with a code. Guess which one DC liked? Its not bad, but it leaves a lot to be desired. When it crosses over with Sinestro, its pretty okay. And DC axed the 3rd volume, again proving my point that DC has a spite fit over Bunn for whatever reason.

Would you all recommend either reading the Green Lantern by Geoff Johns omnibi or getting the trades? If the latter, does anyone have a comprehensive list? I've seen a lot of variations and while I do want the best experience, I also don't want to spend money on books that aren't essential and/or are out of print and difficult to obtain. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    Would you all recommend either reading the Green Lantern by Geoff Johns omnibi or getting the trades? If the latter, does anyone have a comprehensive list? I've seen a lot of variations and while I do want the best experience, I also don't want to spend money on books that aren't essential and/or are out of print and difficult to obtain. Thanks.
    That's a good question. I haven't gotten to the point of collecting John's GL Omni's yet as I'm still trying to get all the golden and silver Omni's. But they are shooting up there in price.
    In fact, i would like to add to your request a GL TPB reading order list. About a month ago, I asked if anyone had one on the DC Comics part of the board, and no one ever replied.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    That's a good question. I haven't gotten to the point of collecting John's GL Omni's yet as I'm still trying to get all the golden and silver Omni's. But they are shooting up there in price.
    In fact, i would like to add to your request a GL TPB reading order list. About a month ago, I asked if anyone had one on the DC Comics part of the board, and no one ever replied.
    Personally, I would say the trades. It would be easier to switch back and forth between the titles. That's if you're looking to read Green Lantern as a whole, the GL title, GL Corps, GL Emerald Warriors, etc, which in my opinion is the way to go.

Now, if you're just interested in reading the Green Lantern stories *by* Geoff Johns, the omnibus books are a fine way to go, and collect the necessary crossover books from the other titles.

Here's the page I consulted when I started reading Johns' GL:
    http://www.martinralya.com/comics/gr...-lantern-tpbs/

It's very comprehensive and it was a blast reading the saga this way.

Trades or omnis? Whatever you prefer - I went for tpbs cause they are easier to read/hold, I don't have to be super-careful about them etc. They are all still available btw.
    Whatever you decide, the most important thing is to read all the GLC titles, they are mostly better than GL title itself, and I can't imagine reading the saga without them. The trouble is - some of them are OOP (GLC: Recharge, GLC: To be a Lantern, GLC: Dark Side of Green), but you should be able to grab them on ebay\amazon etc. Out of these three books, 'Dark Side of Green' is probably the one that has the least connection to the saga, but it is a fun story (undercover Lantern agents, black ops and such).

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy reading it.

I so badly want to read GLC of that era but the OOP trades is making it impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I so badly want to read GLC of that era but the OOP trades is making it impossible
    Whoa, didn't realize those books were OOP. Not going for crazy prices, but they're pretty high. Those were some fun stories

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Whoa, didn't realize those books were OOP. Not going for crazy prices, but they're pretty high. Those were some fun stories
    I refuse to reread my Jonhs GL run until I can have the entire GLC run.