View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 765 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2656657157557617627637647657667677687697758158651265 ... LastLast
Results 11,461 to 11,475 of 21672

[QUOTE=ER Prest;2464178]A few of those are post

So one of these days when I finally get to reading GL, should I continue on thru the new 52 series then?
    Because, if I skip to Rebirth from Flashpoint, wouldn't I be missing some key stuff?
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

[QUOTE=Hawkgirl70;2464308]
    Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    A few of those are post

So one of these days when I finally get to reading GL, should I continue on thru the new 52 series then?
    Because, if I skip to Rebirth from Flashpoint, wouldn't I be missing some key stuff?
    You probably could skip it. At least the first three volumes are worth reading, as they're a direct follow up to War of the Green Lanterns

[QUOTE=Vilynne;2464355]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post

You probably could skip it. At least the first three volumes are worth reading, as they're a direct follow up to War of the Green Lanterns
    HAHA. So I can skip it and go straight to Rebirth but the first 3 of new52 GL's are still worth of reading?
    I'll follow GL all thru new52 if the stories are even average to great.
    Just don't want to invest in rotten stories.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

[QUOTE=Hawkgirl70;2464522]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post

HAHA. So I can skip it and go straight to Rebirth but the first 3 of new52 GL's are still worth of reading?
    The first twenty issues of GL and GLC are still by Johns and Tomasi, and conclude their 9 year run. After that, Venditti takes over and it goes to trash. Though apparently his Rebirth GLC book is pretty good.

Here the same thing about GA by Ben Percy, which I have first hand experience reading during DCYou. It was as bad as they say. White Privilege makes you a werewolf.
    Cyclops was right

[QUOTE=Hawkgirl70;2464522]

I've seen it to be highly debatable. Johns continued to write the first 21(?) Issues (3 volumes) of GL into the New 52, and again is a direct continuation of what was happening before. Granted as you read the universe as a whole, a lot has changed historically, but anyway.

Once John's left, Robert Vendetti took over and while I don't find him bad, he lacks any vision. His main goal seems to be how to shake up the current status quo, rather than build a universe of new stories and concepts like Johns did. Alongside this, there was GL New Guardians, Red Lanterns and GLC of course. GLC also followed up on what happened, while New Guardians follows Kyle and a bunch if other Lantern Corps members (at first), and Red Lanterns followed a moapy Atrocitus. The 4 titles did a crossover after the first 13(?) Issues or so, which was about a Third Army and the First Lantern. Once the crossover was over, everything changed and sent into a new direction, usually leading to a crossover between the 4 constantly, or with other titles, such as GL and GLC crossing over and Red Lanterns and Supergirl crossing over (At this point, Red Lanterns was about Guy Gardner being a Red Lantern), and finally they all went into a Godhead crossover, before finishing out their story arcs for a few issues.

SO THEN- The DCYou was released, and everything was once again shaken up. The GLC was outside their universe, Kyle was in Omega Men, Hal was a renegade using a Gauntlet instead of a ring, and had long hair. That lead them all the way to Rebirth, or should I say GL was the only one that kept going. In that time there was also a Sinestro title, that was part of Godhead (a crossover between FIVE books) and ended before Rebirth, and is an interesting read, but nothing entire crucial for the GL plot as a whole.

[QUOTE=Vilynne;2464596]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post

Once John's left, Robert Vendetti took over and while I don't find him bad, he lacks any vision. His main goal seems to be how to shake up the current status quo, rather than build a universe of new stories and concepts like Johns did. Alongside this, there was GL New Guardians, Red Lanterns and GLC of course. GLC also followed up on what happened, while New Guardians follows Kyle and a bunch if other Lantern Corps members (at first), and Red Lanterns followed a moapy Atrocitus. The 4 titles did a crossover after the first 13(?) Issues or so, which was about a Third Army and the First Lantern. Once the crossover was over, everything changed and sent into a new direction, usually leading to a crossover between the 4 constantly, or with other titles, such as GL and GLC crossing over and Red Lanterns and Supergirl crossing over (At this point, Red Lanterns was about Guy Gardner being a Red Lantern), and finally they all went into a Godhead crossover, before finishing out their story arcs for a few issues.

SO THEN- The DCYou was released, and everything was once again shaken up. The GLC was outside their universe, Kyle was in Omega Men, Hal was a renegade using a Gauntlet instead of a ring, and had long hair. That lead them all the way to Rebirth, or should I say GL was the only one that kept going. In that time there was also a Sinestro title, that was part of Godhead (a crossover between FIVE books) and ended before Rebirth, and is an interesting read, but nothing entire crucial for the GL plot as a whole.
    All of this - every single part of what you mentioned - sounds absolutely horrible. LOL. (I liked that Johns' run, though)

[QUOTE=TomSlick;2464735]

All of this - every single part of what you mentioned - sounds absolutely horrible. LOL. (I liked that Johns' run, though)
    There are some silver linings. Guy as the leader of the Red Lanterns was fun. Kyle eventually took off with Carol and some other Guardians for a very Star Trek Voyager type journey, and the GLC was John and some likeable rookies taking on new threats. Vendetti had some interesting ideas , but is obsessed with his created villain Relic and Black Hand. He uses them for everything! Sinestro was really good. Its about him and his inner circle. Honestly it feels like a crime lord story, but with a fun twist that shows how badass he can still be.

[QUOTE=Vilynne;2464763]
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

There are some silver linings. Guy as the leader of the Red Lanterns was fun. Kyle eventually took off with Carol and some other Guardians for a very Star Trek Voyager type journey, and the GLC was John and some likeable rookies taking on new threats. Vendetti had some interesting ideas , but is obsessed with his created villain Relic and Black Hand. He uses them for everything! Sinestro was really good. Its about him and his inner circle. Honestly it feels like a crime lord story, but with a fun twist that shows how badass he can still be.
    Just seems like the payoff isn't worth going through all that.
    Johns was always going to be a hard act to follow. Tomasi as well.

[QUOTE=TomSlick;2464801]

Just seems like the payoff isn't worth going through all that.
    Johns was always going to be a hard act to follow. Tomasi as well.
    GLC was probably the best of the bunch, for sure. Like I said, they're all so concerned about the current status quo. There's no vision or grand plans. Hopefully the Rebirth stories are better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Here the same thing about GA by Ben Percy, which I have first hand experience reading during DCYou. It was as bad as they say. White Privilege makes you a werewolf.
    I have conflicting and angry emotions about Ben Percys time on Green Arrow and you've gone and set me off so now you have to read my ramblings.

I kind of enjoyed Percys first couple of arcs, the panopticon stuff was a little heavy handed, and the idea of taking ollie to face the mexican cartels was a fun idea that never paid off, but this was Ben Percys first attempt at writing comics though so I was willing to give him some time to find his feet (especially after Kreisbergs awful awful arc) but oh god that werewolf arc was complete garbage.

When Percy first got announced to the GA book I went and look him up and it turned out he'd written a book called Red Moon, picked it up cheap read the first half or so of it, some interesting ideas about using werewolves as a stand in for a randmon mix of minority cultures and the problems they face. Interesting ideas let down by a very YA/teen-lit book writing style. So when this god damm'd werewolf arc hit in GA I was absolutely flummoxed I sincerely want to know wether this was Percy getting desperate and going back to the well that got him attention in the first place or was demanded by an editor. His rebirth stuff started off pretty strong so I'm tempted to pass it off as an editorial mandate to try and boost sales (Its that werewolf guy writing about werewolves again come check it out!) but its started to slide (quite rapidly) back into mediocrity so I dont know anymore.

Incredible Member

Anyone else hoping for some type of special edition Young Animal hardcovers? We've seen that Gerard likes to experiment with merchandise and physical products. It would be great to see this expand to the hardcover line. Of course, I'll be excited to see a typical OHC or Absolute edition of any of these books.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    I have conflicting and angry emotions about Ben Percys time on Green Arrow and you've gone and set me off so now you have to read my ramblings.

I kind of enjoyed Percys first couple of arcs, the panopticon stuff was a little heavy handed, and the idea of taking ollie to face the mexican cartels was a fun idea that never paid off, but this was Ben Percys first attempt at writing comics though so I was willing to give him some time to find his feet (especially after Kreisbergs awful awful arc) but oh god that werewolf arc was complete garbage.

When Percy first got announced to the GA book I went and look him up and it turned out he'd written a book called Red Moon, picked it up cheap read the first half or so of it, some interesting ideas about using werewolves as a stand in for a randmon mix of minority cultures and the problems they face. Interesting ideas let down by a very YA/teen-lit book writing style. So when this god damm'd werewolf arc hit in GA I was absolutely flummoxed I sincerely want to know wether this was Percy getting desperate and going back to the well that got him attention in the first place or was demanded by an editor. His rebirth stuff started off pretty strong so I'm tempted to pass it off as an editorial mandate to try and boost sales (Its that werewolf guy writing about werewolves again come check it out!) but its started to slide (quite rapidly) back into mediocrity so I dont know anymore.
    I thought Percy's Green Arrow was aggressively terrible. The wrong combination of bad scripting, stupid plotlines, bad characterization, and being self-congratulatory clever over what was in fact incredibly unclever, so therefore intensely irritating to read. I powered through his two trades to keep current with the character.

And to my shock, in the back of the last trade, he actually totally nailed the Rebirth special. That was a great fucking issue. So I don't know. Maybe there was just nothing to say about the bland New 52 conception of the character? No hook, no raison d'etre? I'd felt that way--that this version of the character would not have endeared himself into lasting 75 years. He wasn't even managing sales that would have gotten him to five years if he hadn't had the Green Arrow name. But still, Jeff Lemire managed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    aggressively terrible and being self-congratulatory clever over what was in fact incredibly unclever ...

Damn, this is a great line. I'm going to steal it. So many DC writers to apply it to right now. King's Batman for one. (Ann Nocenti, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Damn, this is a great line. I'm going to steal it. So many DC writers to apply it to right now. King's Batman for one. (Ann Nocenti, too.)
    Really? I've heard good things. Not great, but solid so far.

Haven't read any myself though.

Also, as a huge Green Arrow fan, I haven't liked the title since Lemire's stint(and I haven't actually even finished it), and before that, Meltzer's run...........Although I picked up the Rebirth not realizing it was the same writer, and it was half decent. I feel like they're trying to cash in the surprise Fraction/Aja Hawkeye revitalization success from a few years ago
    Last edited by ER Prest; 12-12-2016 at 06:53 PM.

About the Lanterns talk during New 52, GL by Johns is obviously necessary (first three volumes) as well as the GLC stuff. Those books read honestly like there wasn't even a universe reboot and renumbering. They just kept on from pre-New 52. Also, Red Lanterns by Charles Soule is amazing. Absolutely adore it.

About Green Arrow, I think Percy's Rebirth series has been fantastic. I haven't heard anything good about his N52 run, but generally there's a lot of positivity regarding his current Rebirth GA ongoing, which I can vouch for.