View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 798 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2986987487887947957967977987998008018028088488981298 ... LastLast
Results 11,956 to 11,970 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by Suriel View Post
    Says who? Most, if not every other Absolute is absolutely readable. Hush, Dark Knight, New Frontier, Promethea 1-3, Ronin, Watchmen, LOEG etc...
    I think Infinite Crisis reads just fine by itself.

I hated all the unnecessary bloat of the omnibus and am glad for an Absolute of just the main event.

You are a king amongst men!

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    I think Infinite Crisis reads just fine by itself.

I hated all the unnecessary bloat of the omnibus and am glad for an Absolute of just the main event.
    I like some of the build up but you're right - it's fine on its own.

Or... like in this case...its bad advertisment. If they are unable to put a whole self-explanatory story in a standalone book (no part 1 or 2 or final chapter on the label and book cover, no abstracts to make you up to speed of what is shown) why should I even consider the rest. From the looks of it they are unable to transport something which makes sense. If a film in cinema shows you this, why bother for the rest of the series? It really perplexes me why they even considered to bring this out as an Absolute edition and dont give you the rest or some help to read and like the story. Really: bad advertisment!
    That is true, but at the time it was released they specified the order to read it. I didn't have very much trouble following along with what was going on, but I was already familiar with the DCU

Incredible Member

Says who? Most, if not every other Absolute is absolutely readable. Hush, Dark Knight, New Frontier, Promethea 1-3, Ronin, Watchmen, LOEG etc...
    I'm not saying they never are or can't be, I'm saying the target audience for these books are people who already have a vested interested, look at the books you listed, outside of hush they are limited series collected as a celebration of the artist/writer (and hush was done by a singular writer artist team) intended for people who already love the content, there has never been an absolute containing as many creators as a "complete" infinite crisis would include because it would be absurd.

If people are pissed that the omnibus has never been reprinted that's understandable but complaining that the absolute didn't have the same amount of content is crazy.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    I'm not saying they never are or can't be, I'm saying the target audience for these books are people who already have a vested interested, look at the books you listed, outside of hush they are limited series collected as a celebration of the artist/writer (and hush was done by a singular writer artist team) intended for people who already love the content, there has never been an absolute containing as many creators as a "complete" infinite crisis would include because it would be absurd.

If people are pissed that the omnibus has never been reprinted that's understandable but complaining that the absolute didn't have the same amount of content is crazy.
    Perhaps rereading my post could share some light.
    First I never said they should include all of the Omnibus material. I said it is the wrong format for such a large story. I mean, people are appearing out of nowhere and things happen without any introduction. It almost feels like a monthy python film sometimes. "And now to something completey different". Just without the jokes.
    If I only concentrate on the main main main story with the Supermen, then yes, I can barely follow. The Multiverse is explained and the motivation why they do what they do.
    But there are pages in there, which makes your head scratch. A rock over gotham and that green ghost or something. Multiple times. Page fillers that beats me what the heck they add even remotely to the story and take up space that could be used to make it more readable. Then the Aquaman sequence. Totally unrelated to the story, and yet still its in the main book. For me it was useless and stops the flow yet another time. Then the airplane sequence. I don't even know these characters and they do something that is of a big magnitude.
    In the original Crisis on Infinite Earths there were at least descriptions and names of each character placed appropriately. So I can at least google them. A good book would have a dossier added for such stuff and wouldn't relate to self-search.
    And what does that Lantern bit add? Did I miss something. That scene stopped in floppy two or three and was not elaborated further. For me, totally unrelated to the main story. What is with the weather, why is it so harsh? Not explained. What is the purpose of the Stonehenge sequence? What does the Blue Beatle sequence add to the story? Questions after questions after questions....after questions. And no answers to be seen. The whole rest, the main arc, could have been told in 3 floppies. Done. Ok story.
    Perhaps Sharknado is a more fitting comparison than Monty Python....
    Most of the stuff could have easily been fixed by adding more content to this book or, that would be the clever way, if they had decided to split up the story up in several key books like they did with Transmetropolitan or Y or Promethea or Sandman, where they manage/managed to publish the whole series in Absolutes. A "recently" section with brief explanations before each chapter would have also helped.
    All in all its the wrong format if they doing it this way. At least for me. And I find it also puzzling that the main story is in Absolute format and the rest is only available in trades???? Speaking of size and quality differences galore.....
    It comes down to this: Every now and then, the DC lines and Marvel lines are seen as convoluted and lot of backstory driven and for the most part inaccessible to new or casual readers. This book is the best example why and why they fail in making it easier to get you/me/casuals/whatever into their world. Can that be fixed? Some food for thought I hopefully wrote in some of the stuff up there.
    Last edited by Suriel; 01-12-2017 at 01:29 PM.

After all the talk about the 90's Green Lantern, can someone clear something up for me. Which Green Lantern book is coming out this month. According to Amazon.com there's a collection of Emerald Dawn I and II, but according to Amazon.co.uk it's the start of Ron Marz' Kyle Rayner's run. I really want to read the Rayner story.

I don't know what's confusing about putting the main Infinite Crisis mini in absolute.

It's a watershed series with big name creators.

It stands alone without needing to read low quality tie ins.

It's the perfect size for the format.

Make perfect sense to me.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post
    After all the talk about the 90's Green Lantern, can someone clear something up for me. Which Green Lantern book is coming out this month. According to Amazon.com there's a collection of Emerald Dawn I and II, but according to Amazon.co.uk it's the start of Ron Marz' Kyle Rayner's run. I really want to read the Rayner story.
    Both are coming out, I believe.
    Cyclops was right

Can you link the co.uk one? But the one coming out next week is collects Emerald Dawn I and II, which leads to and is the start of the 90s GL run by Gerard Jones which would eventually lead to the Marz and Rayner stuff, but that's further down the line

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Can you link the co.uk one? But the one coming out next week is collects Emerald Dawn I and II, which leads to and is the start of the 90s GL run by Gerard Jones which would eventually lead to the Marz and Rayner stuff, but that's further down the line
    How is Mosaic still not being released?! Oh well, good content either way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Gre...=green+lantern

This is the one I where talking about, suppose to come out on the 31th.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Gre...=green+lantern

This is the one I where talking about, suppose to come out on the 31th.
    That's just the old copy, before it was clear what DC was releasing (though, as is frequently the case, we don't REALLY know what will be in the books until someone has one and reports back!) Amazon.com used to have the same info, I think .co.uk just didn't change the description. You can see on the cover that Ron Marz (who wrote the Kyle material) is not listed as a creator and it specifically says "Hal Jordan" in the title. So you'll have to keep waiting unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    That's just the old copy, before it was clear what DC was releasing (though, as is frequently the case, we don't REALLY know what will be in the books until someone has one and reports back!) Amazon.com used to have the same info, I think .co.uk just didn't change the description. You can see on the cover that Ron Marz (who wrote the Kyle material) is not listed as a creator and it specifically says "Hal Jordan" in the title. So you'll have to keep waiting unfortunately.
    That's Emerald Dawn I and II by Gerard Jones, which leads to the main 90s series, also started and written by Jones

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/g...vol-01-tp.html

CGN lists the same info

That's Emerald Dawn I and II by Gerard Jones, which leads to the main 90s series, also started and written by Jones

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/g...vol-01-tp.html

CGN lists the same info
    Hmm, that's a shame, I was really hoping for the Marz' run. Hopefully DC will get there someday. Thanks for the info.