View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218581085081008 ... LastLast

I was at a Chapters today and saw a copy of Bruce Wayne: Murderer on the shelf. It says it was printed around April 14, so I'm assuming it's a fixed copy (?) The website also has the book available again, so I'm going to order it in the hopes that it's the corrected version out a little early.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    To whomever has picked up the one million omni, was it a decent story? Heard that the art is all over the place and some generally mixed reviews (on a grant morrison book? No way!). How easy is it to follow and hows the build?

On a side note that supes batman art looks fantastic, wanna get that and maybe inhumans if jae lee art all looks that good
    A lot more than decent. DC One Million is my second favorite Superman story, just behind All-Star Superman. There's a focus on other characters as well, but the whole thing revolves around the legacy of Superman and how his ideals affect future societies. It's also quite touching. It's one of the few works of fiction where I always tear up at the end. It's also a pretty straightforward story.

Overall, it reads a lot better as an omnibus. It's one of those rare events where just about every tie-in adds something to the bigger story so having everything in a mostly correct reading order improves the experience. The build is pretty good. It's not a mousetrap binding but it's not as loose as Marvel's books. It's also really easy to jump into.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    Thanks. I made the pre order. I guess I'll take my chances on the packaging. From reading through the forum I think I have a slightly higher tolerance for dings and what not.
    I preordered it from Amazon myself. The good news is, Amazon doesn't get their books till two weeks after direct market stores. So if IST has it on sale for 50% off on week of release, with free shipping, and tax free if you live outside of Indiana, it will be cheaper or about the same to buy from them and you'll have much better shipping conditions. Then you can just cancel the pre-order from Amazon and it all works out for the best.

I am thinking about starting The Invisibles but am conflicted as to whether I should get the omnibus (I have heard their are issues with the binding) or collect deluxe editions as they are released. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    I preordered it from Amazon myself. The good news is, Amazon doesn't get their books till two weeks after direct market stores. So if IST has it on sale for 50% off on week of release, with free shipping, and tax free if you live outside of Indiana, it will be cheaper or about the same to buy from them and you'll have much better shipping conditions. Then you can just cancel the pre-order from Amazon and it all works out for the best.
    That is smart for people who still buy from amazon. I'm also in LA and stopped buying books from amazon years ago due to the awful (non)packaging. I know some amazon warehouses around the country still shrinkwrap books to a piece of cardboard at least, but ours doesn't. For me it's worth it even if IST is slightly more expensive to know that my books are going to arrive undamaged.

Also for anybody in LA, I just found an awesome graphic novel store that prices similar to IST - it's called Pulp Fiction and is in Culver City. 40% off marvel/dc books, a little less for other publishers, and a used books section with much deeper discounts. While it's not quite as cheap as IST (esp due to sales tax) it's great for instant gratification or if you forgot to add something to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    That is smart for people who still buy from amazon. I'm also in LA and stopped buying books from amazon years ago due to the awful (non)packaging. I know some amazon warehouses around the country still shrinkwrap books to a piece of cardboard at least, but ours doesn't. For me it's worth it even if IST is slightly more expensive to know that my books are going to arrive undamaged.

Also for anybody in LA, I just found an awesome graphic novel store that prices similar to IST - it's called Pulp Fiction and is in Culver City. 40% off marvel/dc books, a little less for other publishers, and a used books section with much deeper discounts. While it's not quite as cheap as IST (esp due to sales tax) it's great for instant gratification or if you forgot to add something to your order.
    Yeah they also are affiliated with CheapGraphicNovels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I really wish DC would come out with something similar to Marvel's epics, when I look at my DC collection it's so puny compared to my Marvel books and it makes me sad . I'm glad the DC Omnibus range is picking up steam but given the poor bindings and often bizarre choices of what to Omnibus I have a preference for cheaper trades.

Vertigo seems to be handled a lot better in collected editions than DC main, everything good seems to be in multiple formats, so I have things like Y, 100 Bullets in deluxe & Preacher in the smaller hardcovers. I can pick and chose what format to buy in which is great for a fussy collector. I've also recently started buying the Hellblazer trades, I can pick these up pretty cheap and some volumes have a pretty good amount of issues in so I can see myself collecting the whole run, I'd love to see Green Lantern or Supes etc be collected similarly.
    I hope they come out with HC of Hellblazer at some point.

That One Million Omnibus looks amazing and I love the plot. $50+ is a bit up there for me to spend on one book though :/. What are your guys general feelings on Fables Deluxe? I have the first two and I think they look great. Haven't read them though. I'm wondering if the binding has any issues.

Also, What stand alone series would you recommend I add to my want list? One Million looks good. Batman or Superman would be my first choice in content or JLA. Kingdom Come looks interesting, but is there currently a HC edition that's in print?

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I hope they come out with HC of Hellblazer at some point.

That One Million Omnibus looks amazing and I love the plot. $50+ is a bit up there for me to spend on one book though :/. What are your guys general feelings on Fables Deluxe? I have the first two and I think they look great. Haven't read them though. I'm wondering if the binding has any issues.

Also, What stand alone series would you recommend I add to my want list? One Million looks good. Batman or Superman would be my first choice in content or JLA. Kingdom Come looks interesting, but is there currently a HC edition that's in print?
    Fables Deluxes all have the same binding as far as I can tell. So if you're happy with the first two, you'll be happy with the rest. And once Vol. 9 is released later this year, it will bring the Emperor storyline to an end, so you could just have those 9 books and feel like you got some closer to the storyline it began with.

Kingdom Come is one of my favorite stories, easily top 5. I was going to recommend the Absolute Edition, but it looks like that's gone OOP. It's a DC classic, so if it doesn't get reprinted, I'd expect a deluxe edition to be released. Like Dark Knight Returns, I can't imagine that being softcover only for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by teej View Post
    A lot more than decent. DC One Million is my second favorite Superman story, just behind All-Star Superman. There's a focus on other characters as well, but the whole thing revolves around the legacy of Superman and how his ideals affect future societies. It's also quite touching. It's one of the few works of fiction where I always tear up at the end. It's also a pretty straightforward story.

Overall, it reads a lot better as an omnibus. It's one of those rare events where just about every tie-in adds something to the bigger story so having everything in a mostly correct reading order improves the experience. The build is pretty good. It's not a mousetrap binding but it's not as loose as Marvel's books. It's also really easy to jump into.
    Sounds good. Are the core issues or the JLA issues collected in the Morrison JLA trades or are they published separately like Earth-2?

Quote Originally Posted by stilgar20 View Post
    I am thinking about starting The Invisibles but am conflicted as to whether I should get the omnibus (I have heard their are issues with the binding) or collect deluxe editions as they are released. Thoughts?
    I've read the omnibus twice and it didn't fell apart yet, but I'm really careful with it.
    The deluxes would be more comfortable to read but DC is releasing one volume/year maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I've read the omnibus twice and it didn't fell apart yet, but I'm really careful with it.
    The deluxes would be more comfortable to read but DC is releasing one volume/year maybe?
    I went ahead and just purchased the omni from IST. I'd rather have it all at once. Plus it will look good with the Animal Man omni and the Doom Patrol one when it comes out

The New 52: Five Years Later Omnibus is already up on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/DC-Comics-Yea...SIN=1401251293

In September 2014, as every title in the DC Universe published special new issues featuring their favorite heroes and villains in iterations they've never seen before: future versions of themselves! Every DC Comics comic book series will feature a special issue, revealing the shocking fates of top super heroes including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern and many more. Written and illustrated by top talent including Geoff Johns (GREEN LANTERN, THE FLASH, JUSTICE LEAGUE), Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, JOKER), Scott Snyder (DETECTIVE COMICS, AMERICAN VAMPIRE), Jeff Lemire (JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED) and many more!

Quote Originally Posted by stilgar20 View Post
    I went ahead and just purchased the omni from IST. I'd rather have it all at once. Plus it will look good with the Animal Man omni and the Doom Patrol one when it comes out
    It's the kind of story you will love or hate, but if you love it you will want to devour it in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Fables Deluxes all have the same binding as far as I can tell. So if you're happy with the first two, you'll be happy with the rest. And once Vol. 9 is released later this year, it will bring the Emperor storyline to an end, so you could just have those 9 books and feel like you got some closer to the storyline it began with.

Kingdom Come is one of my favorite stories, easily top 5. I was going to recommend the Absolute Edition, but it looks like that's gone OOP. It's a DC classic, so if it doesn't get reprinted, I'd expect a deluxe edition to be released. Like Dark Knight Returns, I can't imagine that being softcover only for too long.
    Absolute Kingdom Come has been reprinted twice, there is a pretty good chance they would do another.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Sounds good. Are the core issues or the JLA issues collected in the Morrison JLA trades or are they published separately like Earth-2?
    Earth 2 was published twice. More then likely a money-grab. It's in either Volume 3 or 4 of the JLA hardcover Deluxe Editions, and DC proceeded to release a seperate Deluxe Edition of Earth 2 anyway.