View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 808 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3087087587988048058068078088098108118128188589081308 ... LastLast
Results 12,106 to 12,120 of 21674
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    If that WW book is oversized, I would probably buy it, if it's standard trim it's a pass, if it was still a tpb, I'd buy it.

Now I'm also a little concerned about the Mignola book, the official solicit doesn't say deluxe. I hope that's not standard sized....
    If it doesnt say 'deluxe' it wont be OHC.

DC dropping the ball again. But at least we can have more Golden Age niche stuff that will barely sale half the numbers of a crap modern Marvel omni.....
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    My understanding is, it goes downhill after the CoIE tie-ins. Perez leaves after the Terror of Trigon (Vol 2 #6) and then the Crisis tie-ins are over about nine issues later. At that point a hated Starfire/Nightwing space arc begins, then Danny Chase shows up, etc. At one point Perez returns for an encore (about forty issues later) for Who is Donna Troy? And that's really really good, but the book is basically over by then although it limps on for years. I think there's something like 60 more issues after Who is Donna Troy, and that's the stuff that's total ass that Wolfman regrets writing.

So in other words, the book starts losing steam after CoIE but doesn't devolve into ass until after the end of Perez's encore. Which coincidentally happens to be when the 90s start, haha.
    Yes, this pretty much sums it up. The first volume was good and some of the second.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Now I'm also a little concerned about the Mignola book, the official solicit doesn't say deluxe. I hope that's not standard sized....
    I suspect the Mignola HC is part of the standard size HC "author" series (writer and/or artist).
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 01-24-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Incredible Member

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread (apologies if it was and I missed it), but kudos to Krisis on another awesome Collecting Guide and Reading Order, this time for Wonder Woman! Fantastic work as always. (In particular, thanks for cluing me in to one unpublished Golden Age WW story I hadn't read yet, the one from Amazing World of DC Comics #2!)

If I may humbly offer one quick suggestion: there's one unpublished Golden Age WW appearance I didn't see listed, from Wonder Woman (vol. 1) #196, "The Menace of Goblin Head Rock."

You addressed it briefly in your guide, but for fans who don't know, Wonder Woman is unique in that the Earth-2/Golden Age Wonder Woman "stole back" the book from her Earth-1/Silver & Bronze Age counterpart not once, but twice! The first time was in 1965 -- supposedly fans had been complaining about the book and asking to see more Golden Age-style adventures. So writer Bob Kanigher gave them what they were asking for... first, in issue 156, a Golden Age-style story, with a text box at the end telling readers to write in if they wanted more stories like this. Apparently they did -- issues 157 and 158 were in Silver Age style, but 158 ended with Wonder Woman visiting DC's offices, where Bob Kanigher summarily de-created all the goofy Silver Age characters (Merboy, Birdboy, the Glop, Wonder Tot), turned Hippolyte back into a brunette, and decreed that the book would commence telling Golden Age stories. It did, too... issues 159-164 were all done in that style, before the book returned to the Silver Age style with issue 165.

Then in 1977, the Wonder Woman TV series was in its first season, set in World War II. To tie in, the comic had the Earth-1/Bronze Age Wondy cross worlds and go back in time to encounter her Earth-2/Golden Age counterpart in the '40s, in issues 228-229... and when the adventure ended, the book stayed with the Earth-2 version! While the Earth-1 WW made guest appearances in other titles during that time, Wonder Woman #228-243, World's Finest Comics #244-250, Wonder Woman Spectacular 1978, and Superman vs. Wonder Woman were set during WWII and starring the Earth-2 version. (In issue 243, the two counterparts encountered each other again and the focus returned to the Earth-1 version.)

Anyway, just an interesting bit of trivia. These days, it's hard to imagine a writer or editor being allowed to say "You know what? We're just going to halt the current direction of this book and have it follow the Post-Crisis Superman aga-" er, well, maybe not the best example.
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 01-24-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kalitarix View Post
    And here are the HCs from the April solicitations:

ADAM STRANGE: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
    Written by GARDNER FOX, EDMOND HAMILTON and JACK SCHIFF
    Art by MIKE SEKOWSKY, CARMINE INFANTINO, MURPHY ANDERSON and others
    Cover by MICHAEL CHO
    The Silver Age adventures of Adam Strange are collected in one giant omnibus! After being mysteriously teleported to the distant world of Rann, Adam Strange’s life changed forever as he went from being an archaeologist to a cosmic hero. In these stories, Adam and his new ally, Alanna, defend Rann against alien invaders, giant monsters, mad scientists, out-of-control robots and more! This new title collects SHOWCASE #17-19 and 101-103, MYSTERY IN SPACE #53-100 and 102, STRANGE ADVENTURES #157, 222, 226, HAWKMAN #18-19 and WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #262-263.
    On sale JULY 19 • 944 pg, FC, $99.99 US

WONDER WOMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
    Written by WILLIAM MOULTON MARSTON and others
    Art by H.G. PETER
    Cover by DARWYN COOKE
    In these tales from the Golden Age of Comics, Wonder Woman protects Man’s World, using her bracelets and lasso of truth to stop injustice. These tales include Wonder Woman’s battle to keep innocents from being drawn into a land of nightmares, sees her sending a gangster to Paradise Island to be reformed, attending a costume party to prevent a murder and much more! Collects COMIC CAVALCADE #6-13, SENSATION COMICS #25-48 and WONDER WOMAN #8-15.
    On sale JULY 5 • 768 pg, FC, $75.00 US
    So the Adam Strange Omni says Volume 1, however the write up says that "it collects all of his Silver Age Adventures". Meaning there isn't material for a vol.2, right?
    So why even put a vol.1 on the book at all?

Yeah for WW GA Omni vol.2!!

Now that the Trinity all have at least 2 volumes of GA material out in Omni form who is the next character to get this treatment? Will we have to finish one of the Trinity off before starting more GA characters? Hmmm?
    However they go I'd like the next to be Jay Garrick's Flash material collected into Omni form, then Aquaman.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Wouldn't it seems silly for a company to use multiple logos from a marketing standpoint?
    I dunno, ask DC.

They have multiple new collections floating around for Green Arrow, Suicide Squad, The Flash, Batman... all with era-appropriate logos on the covers. I just don't get why they didn't go the same for GL.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I dunno, ask DC.

They have multiple new collections floating around for Green Arrow, Suicide Squad, The Flash, Batman... all with era-appropriate logos on the covers. I just don't get why they didn't go the same for GL.
    It fits extremely oddly and looks out of place. I wish they just left that alone.

I also hear DC axed V.2 of Jones' GL.

Damn, IST doesn't have Death and the Maidens or Checkmate v1 at 50% off this week. Seesh

Don't know the interest in these, but I picked up Green Lanterns today, and I'd like to post another mini, spoiler free review of what I thought, akin to the Flash Rebirth one I did recently.

Just want to direct and help anyone who's wondering if something is worth picking up. Im a massive GL fan, so I have a lot to compare it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Don't know the interest in these, but I picked up Green Lanterns today, and I'd like to post another mini, spoiler free review of what I thought, akin to the Flash Rebirth one I did recently.

Just want to direct and help anyone who's wondering if something is worth picking up. Im a massive GL fan, so I have a lot to compare it to.
    I'd like to see that. It's one of the few books that's been completely off my radar with Rebirth namely because I haven't completed Johns' Green Lantern and Justice League runs where the leads are introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    I'd like to see that. It's one of the few books that's been completely off my radar with Rebirth namely because I haven't completed Johns' Green Lantern and Justice League runs where the leads are introduced.
    I'll be sure to read it with a mindset of a newcomer then, and make sure to keep that in mind as I give my review. Been following these two like crazy. I'm skeptical because Sam Humphries wrote a pretty"meh" first volume if Star Lord, and I read the rest of his run when I read he was on this title. Its pretty mediocre, but I remain cautiously optimistic

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I'll be sure to read it with a mindset of a newcomer then, and make sure to keep that in mind as I give my review. Been following these two like crazy. I'm skeptical because Sam Humphries wrote a pretty"meh" first volume if Star Lord, and I read the rest of his run when I read he was on this title. Its pretty mediocre, but I remain cautiously optimistic

I won't read anything by Humphries after - years ago - I read his horrible Ultimates (which I dropped quickly) that followed the Hickman run (which actually wasn't all that great, either, but wasn't anywhere near as bad as what Humphries wrote.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I won't read anything by Humphries after - years ago - I read his horrible Ultimates (which I dropped quickly) that followed the Hickman run (which actually wasn't all that great, either, but wasn't anywhere near as bad as what Humphries wrote.
    I'm actually reading Green Lanterns right now. I was skeptical as well as I haven't liked anything that i read by Humphries before . While it's nowhere near as good as Hal Jordan and the GLC (that 's the Flagship GL book so perhaps the comparison isn't fair) it's safely the best thing I have ever read by Humphries. I m enjoying the book about the rookie GLs way more then I thought i would and like that they are trying to differentiate Simon and Jessica powers from the other Lanterns. I am also intrigued with the concept of the Phantom Lantern. That said there are some growing pains to get through the first bunch of issues, with Simon and Jessica repeatedly bickering and learning certain things about each other and themselves. It does get better and I'm looking forward to where it goes.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Its always tough making these short and spoiler free. But here are my thoughts on the first Vol. Of Green Lanterns.

After reading it, I must say its not completely new reader friendly. A lot is referenced that happened in Justice League or Green Lanterns. However, its a smooth and easy to follow transition for those who have been following. Ironically, a lot seems to have been retconned from the GL titles, including Red Lanterns. The two characters we have, Simon and Jessica are interesting and appealing on their own, but bitterly annoying together. The constant child like bickering over nothing. Instead of making any attempts to get to know each other, they instead insist the other is unworthy of being a Green Lantern. Regardless, by the end of the volume, we move into a more friendly territory, and the cliff hanger is an interesting concept, albeit brought about by overdone GL tropes. It's still pretty fun, and I would also say Humphires best work (that's not saying much, but still) and it does get better once the bickering stops. Looking forward to Col.2

That's all I can say without any spoilers and keeping it short.

Spectacular Member

Anyone know how Target packages books, they have the Batman Brave Bold Omnibus for $46.39 and was wondering if buying from here would be a good alternative to IST for the price. Thanks

http://www.target.com/p/batman-the-b...g&gclsrc=aw.ds