View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 820 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3207207708108168178188198208218228238248308709201320 ... LastLast
Results 12,286 to 12,300 of 21671

WOuld any and all Wildstorm books be ok to talk about here or do I need to make a separate thread?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    WOuld any and all Wildstorm books be ok to talk about here or do I need to make a separate thread?
    yeh, they are published by DC. But if in doubt you can go to the general thread as well but this one is absolutely fine.

Amazing Member

After all the praise I'd heard for Ellis' work, I put some titles on my wish list for Christmas (along with a bunch of other HC's, so it was a great Christmas). The only Ellis book I got was the Planetary Omnibus. I'd thought about digging into that this weekend, but now I'm thinking it might be best to build up with his Stormwatch and Authority books first. If you folks agree, what volumes should I look at picking up to have the complete scope of his work on those titles. I'm pretty much just looking at HC's unless TPB is the only option. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Sinescu View Post
    After all the praise I'd heard for Ellis' work, I put some titles on my wish list for Christmas (along with a bunch of other HC's, so it was a great Christmas). The only Ellis book I got was the Planetary Omnibus. I'd thought about digging into that this weekend, but now I'm thinking it might be best to build up with his Stormwatch and Authority books first. If you folks agree, what volumes should I look at picking up to have the complete scope of his work on those titles. I'm pretty much just looking at HC's unless TPB is the only option. Thanks!
    the order should be Stormwatch-Authority-Planetary but originally I've read Authority then Planetary and then both of them like 3 more times then I finally got to Stormwatch.
    Planetary reads very well on it's own the connections to Planetary don't really influence the story so you can just read that book first if you want to.
    Authority is a continuation from Stormwatch but the start of Ellis' SW is very different from what it becomes later and even though it features some of the Authority characters they are still in development. The concepts are good in SW but the execution was not quite there until Hitch took over on art in the second hc, those stories are really good. Unfortunately there is a very important Aliens crossover that is not included in the 2nd hc because of rights issues.
    Reading Authority without SW is like picking up Morrison's New X-men. You know there where stories before this but you can perfectly enjoy reading it without the previous stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the order should be Stormwatch-Authority-Planetary but originally I've read Authority then Planetary and then both of them like 3 more times then I finally got to Stormwatch.
    Planetary reads very well on it's own the connections to Planetary don't really influence the story so you can just read that book first if you want to.
    Authority is a continuation from Stormwatch but the start of Ellis' SW is very different from what it becomes later and even though it features some of the Authority characters they are still in development. The concepts are good in SW but the execution was not quite there until Hitch took over on art in the second hc, those stories are really good. Unfortunately there is a very important Aliens crossover that is not included in the 2nd hc because of rights issues.
    Reading Authority without SW is like picking up Morrison's New X-men. You know there where stories before this but you can perfectly enjoy reading it without the previous stories.

Which is strange because it's collected in the tpb. Also, you kind of nailed it - it's a very, very important chapter in the series.

Personally, I liked SW better than I liked the Ellis/Millar Authority. Haven't read much else Authority after that though.

On another note, finally got around to reading Morrison's Doom Patrol. I'm really enjoying it so far. Kinda reminds me of his Invisibles and Animal Man. I'm about 300 pages in, and it's one of the last major Morrison works I've yet to read. Bring on some Morrison JLA and Batgod omnibus books DC!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    On another note, finally got around to reading Morrison's Doom Patrol. I'm really enjoying it so far. Kinda reminds me of his Invisibles and Animal Man. I'm about 300 pages in, and it's one of the last major Morrison works I've yet to read. Bring on some Morrison JLA and Batgod omnibus books DC!

I've read my Doom Patrol omni a couple of times now and it always leaves me with mixed feelings. It has some absolutely amazing highs in it, theres some single issues that are among some of the absolute best work Morrison has ever put out, but I absolutely hate that stupid space insect war arc. Its Morrison at his worst, completely incomprehensible and it takes a lot of the momentum and fun out of the book for me.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    I've read my Doom Patrol omni a couple of times now and it always leaves me with mixed feelings. It has some absolutely amazing highs in it, theres some single issues that are among some of the absolute best work Morrison has ever put out, but I absolutely hate that stupid space insect war arc. Its Morrison at his worst, completely incomprehensible and it takes a lot of the momentum and fun out of the book for me.
    I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'll report back when I do.

The one thing I really loved about this book was his "Constantine" (since DC wouldn't let him use the real thing, he had his own version) and the spectacular climax to the whole series as the **** hits the fan and the heroes are heroes. The last issue was a beautiful epilogue send off. Such an amazing run. There was definitely the Morrison weirdness but not on the level of Invisibles.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Personally, I liked SW better than I liked the Ellis/Millar Authority. Haven't read much else Authority after that though.
    I can't wait til I get to this. I'm planning on picking some Morrison in the near future to do a read-a-thon.
    I read Animal Man last year so next up for me will be Doom Patrol>Flex>Arkham Asylum>Flash w Millar>Batman:Gothic>Aztek>JLA>DC One Million reread(read the omnibus, didn't like it, will revisit the main even though)>Bat saga>Final Crisis/Seven Soldiers>Batman&Robin/Batman Inc>Action Comics>Multiversity. When all's said and done I'll probably pick up some of the Vertigo material assuming I'm not burnt out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    I can't wait til I get to this. I'm planning on picking some Morrison in the near future to do a read-a-thon.
    I read Animal Man last year so next up for me will be Doom Patrol>Flex>Arkham Asylum>Flash w Millar>Batman:Gothic>Aztek>JLA>DC One Million reread(read the omnibus, didn't like it, will revisit the main even though)>Bat saga>Final Crisis/Seven Soldiers>Batman&Robin/Batman Inc>Action Comics>Multiversity. When all's said and done I'll probably pick up some of the Vertigo material assuming I'm not burnt out lol
    I think it's safe to say you can skip Aztec. Between two very imaginative writers you would think it's at least a fun series but it's the typical case of landing on your arse between two horses. It's just a pile of dull nothing. I only have it on my shelf because it was a birthday present, otherwise this would be the only Morrison book I got rid of.

Question time! Batgirl/Robin Year ones are one of my favourite bat related stories (for example: I rate it over anything by Snyder, Brubaker or Loeb, even though I like the Loeb-Sale stuff, and obviously Brubaker, but his Batman stuff was only good, not stellar). So I thought maybe I should check Dixon's Robin or Nightwing out (because my backlog isn't basically an unpenetrable wall of books as it is). So I went on wiki to check how many issues he wrote and HOLLY HALLOWEEN BATMAN! Between the 2 titles he wrote almost like 200 issues!

My question basically is: any of those worth reading? Are they good throughout their whole run? Are there many crossovers that makes the reading disjointed? Do you think they will be properly collected? (since Hellblazer is already at v15 I think anything is possible although we know that DC loves to pull the rug from under books).

Incredible Member

Question time! Batgirl/Robin Year ones are one of my favourite bat related stories (for example: I rate it over anything by Snyder, Brubaker or Loeb, even though I like the Loeb-Sale stuff, and obviously Brubaker, but his Batman stuff was only good, not stellar). So I thought maybe I should check Dixon's Robin or Nightwing out (because my backlog isn't basically an unpenetrable wall of books as it is). So I went on wiki to check how many issues he wrote and HOLLY HALLOWEEN BATMAN! Between the 2 titles he wrote almost like 200 issues!

My question basically is: any of those worth reading? Are they good throughout their whole run? Are there many crossovers that makes the reading disjointed? Do you think they will be properly collected? (since Hellblazer is already at v15 I think anything is possible although we know that DC loves to pull the rug from under books).
    Both his Robin and Nightwing are currently being collected in big chunky trades, Nightwing is up to volume 6 and Robins at 3 I think. His Nightwing is definitely worth reading, arguably the best Nightwing book to ever be published, I've not read his Robin as I don't care for Tim Drake but from what I've heard its excellent, they do get dragged into the various Bat crossovers that were happening at the time, No Mans Land, War Games, etc but the current trades are doing a good job of collecting everything coherently.

Both his Robin and Nightwing are currently being collected in big chunky trades, Nightwing is up to volume 6 and Robins at 3 I think. His Nightwing is definitely worth reading, arguably the best Nightwing book to ever be published, I've not read his Robin as I don't care for Tim Drake but from what I've heard its excellent, they do get dragged into the various Bat crossovers that were happening at the time, No Mans Land, War Games, etc but the current trades are doing a good job of collecting everything coherently.
    thanks! yeah I know about the chunky trades, I meant do you think they will finish publishing them? Although if it's up to 6 already then probably (I thought it's up to vol 4).

Chuck Dixon was a freaking horse - a go to man for bat books! He obviously isn't Alan Moore or Grant Morrison but you will never feel ripped off when you buy one of his books. I agree with a previous poster - he has written the best Nightwing run bar none His Robin run also was excellent.